Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you are gay just act normal and be gay, people that are flamboyant and push their sexuality constantly are very annoying.

If you want society to accept you more stop all these gay pride parades, I do not want to see tons of men and women half naked with crossdressers waltzing around it really gives them a bad image as being wacky and out there. Anyone that lets their sexuality define them is normally annoying just keep it to yourself for the most part, 99% of people will accept you if you just act normal and happen to also be gay.

You do understand that just like straight people gays can be annoying too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    If you are gay just act normal and be gay, people that are flamboyant and push their sexuality constantly are very annoying.

If you want society to accept you more stop all these gay pride parades, I do not want to see tons of men and women half naked with crossdressers waltzing around it really gives them a bad image as being wacky and out there. Anyone that lets their sexuality define them is normally annoying just keep it to yourself for the most part, 99% of people will accept you if you just act normal and happen to also be gay.

"Act normal"? What exactly is normal? People can act whatever way they want to act, and if it's not hurting anyone else then I don't see the problem. Is a guy allowed to drink beer, have short hair and watch football and act 'masculine' if it's a lesbian then she's not acting 'normal'? And a girl can be flamboyant and feminine and it's fine but if it's a guy then he's also 'not acting normal'? It's society who have decided what is 'normal' and what isn't, the word is completely subjective.

I actually agree with you regarding the gay parades and stuff. I despise them and would never attend one.

As for your last question, of course gay people can be annoying. Everyone on the planet is annoying. But straight people aren't discriminated against or told to change their behaviours just to suit a majority. Gay people are. If someone is annoying because of their behaviour then you have to apply that to both genders and not just say "oh I hate it when gay guys shriek and are overly feminine but I don't mind if it's a girl who's doing it". As long as it's the behaviour that's the problem and not the person doing the behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No not really. Not everyone has to agree with homosexuality, they just have to accept it
    How can you not agree with something that exists? That's like saying you don't agree with black people or kids or rain or windows or carpets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow2009)
    How can you not agree with something that exists? That's like saying you don't agree with black people
    No it's not, it's so annoying when people say this. Black people don't do anything different to white or Asian people. So what is there to disagree with? There is nothing that is only exclusive to blacks. It's not the same

ReputationRep:
    No it's not, it's so annoying when people say this. Black people don't do anything different to white or Asian people. So what is there to disagree with? There is nothing that is only exclusive to blacks. It's not the same
    So what don't you agree with regarding homosexuality? It exists. It exists in every single species and has existed for thousands of years. How can you not agree with a noun?

I don't really understand. If you mean you disagree with the ACTIONS of homosexuals then surely that isn't quite fair because heterosexuals are allowed to follow their sexual and romantic attractions, why not homosexuals?

Is that really fair to be against something that makes people happy and has absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever? Two people who could be in love (and probably suffered a lifetime of self loathing, depression, bullying, discrimination and hiding their true intentions) and want to be together is something you don't agree with?

I just...don't get it? Please try and explain it the best you can because I'm honestly so confused.

ReputationRep:
    "Act normal"? What exactly is normal? People can act whatever way they want to act, and if it's not hurting anyone else then I don't see the problem. Is a guy allowed to drink beer, have short hair and watch football and act 'masculine' if it's a lesbian then she's not acting 'normal'? And a girl can be flamboyant and feminine and it's fine but if it's a guy then he's also 'not acting normal'? It's society who have decided what is 'normal' and what isn't, the word is completely subjective.

I actually agree with you regarding the gay parades and stuff. I despise them and would never attend one.

As for your last question, of course gay people can be annoying. Everyone on the planet is annoying. But straight people aren't discriminated against or told to change their behaviours just to suit a majority. Gay people are. If someone is annoying because of their behaviour then you have to apply that to both genders and not just say "oh I hate it when gay guys shriek and are overly feminine but I don't mind if it's a girl who's doing it". As long as it's the behaviour that's the problem and not the person doing the behaviour.

Society has decided what is normal and that is fine for many things. I am not saying that guys have to be short haired football watching beer guzzling strongmen but just think of the stereotypical gay person like gok wan that is a personality I really dislike and it is fine for me to dislike it.

ReputationRep:
    I love how the majority of the time the people saying we're overreacting to certain words are straight..... you are not part of the gay community therefore you cannot decide what we find offensive and what we don't, because you have never experienced these words in a genuinely hurtful way towards you....it's literally not your place to say anything lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMGJ98)
    I love how the majority of the time the people saying we're overreacting to certain words are straight..... you are not part of the gay community therefore you cannot decide what we find offensive and what we don't, because you have never experienced these words in a genuinely hurtful way towards you....it's literally not your place to say anything lmao.
    So then, by that same logic you can't condemn something as misogynistic, or racist?

Also, the gay community is not a monolithic entity, not all of them are so thinskinned.

ReputationRep:
    So what don't you agree with regarding homosexuality? It exists. It exists in every single species and has existed for thousands of years. How can you not agree with a noun?

I don't really understand. If you mean you disagree with the ACTIONS of homosexuals then surely that isn't quite fair because heterosexuals are allowed to follow their sexual and romantic attractions, why not homosexuals?

Is that really fair to be against something that makes people happy and has absolutely no impact on your life whatsoever? Two people who could be in love (and probably suffered a lifetime of self loathing, depression, bullying, discrimination and hiding their true intentions) and want to be together is something you don't agree with?

I just...don't get it? Please try and explain it the best you can because I'm honestly so confused.
    I'm not against it. You're right that it has nothing to do with me but if it's in my face, then I am allowed to have an opinion about it. Like I said, I don't like to see PDA among anyone, and homosexuals are not excluded from that

Incest exists in species and has done for thousands of years too, but I'm sure people still disagree with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    So then, by that same logic you can't condemn something as misogynistic, or racist?

Also, the gay community is not a monolithic entity, not all of them are so thinskinned.
    It's not about being thinskinned, the majority of terms don't offend me, and are easy to brush off, but if in certain cases if I feel offended, you have no input into whether my offence is justified or not.

And yeah, I'm not out here speaking for communities I'm not part of lmao, that's different to standing with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMGJ98)
    It's not about being thinskinned, the majority of terms don't offend me, and are easy to brush off, but if in certain cases if I feel offended, you have no input into whether my offence is justified or not.

And yeah, I'm not out here speaking for communities I'm not part of lmao, that's different to standing with them.
    But then, by that very same logic that you have to belong to a group to make claims about whether any offense to that group is actually offensive, you are necessarily implying you can have no statement on the validity of feeling of being offended for a woman who claims air conditioning is sexist, or a alt-right person who claims banning anti-semitic hate speech is undemocratic, or a black person who claims white sugar is racist. Do you agree with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)

Gay people have been persecuted for the best part of 2 millennia.When the allies liberated the concentration camps from the Nazis,gay men were left in there to carry out their sentences.In large parts of the world being gay is punishable by imprisonment or death.The number of gay people who have commited suicide due to family rejection and self loathing over the centuries is probably countless.If the same thing had happened to straight people then they would be having a bit of a party too.It's hardly surprising that people want to celebrate and they should do too for all those others who cannot.If you don't want to see it then don't go to a gay pride parade.Simples.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against it. You're right that it has nothing to do with me but if it's in my face, then I am allowed to have an opinion about it. Like I said, I don't like to see PDA among anyone, and homosexuals are not excluded from that

Incest exists in species and has done for thousands of years too, but I'm sure people still disagree with it.
    You are allowed an opinion of course but you have to respect that people will challenge these opinions if these opinions can hurt others in society.

'If it's in my face'? Can you give me an example of when it would be deemed as such? Is holding hands in public 'in your face'?

And are you really comparing homosexuality to incest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Honestly, this post is pretty gay
    Your reply is so straight.

ReputationRep:
    You are allowed an opinion of course but you have to respect that people will challenge these opinions if these opinions can hurt others in society.

'If it's in my face'? Can you give me an example of when it would be deemed as such? Is holding hands in public 'in your face'?

And are you really comparing homosexuality to incest?
    Yeah Of course opinions can be challenged. holding hands isn't an issue for me, but more so full blown French kissing, I hate that.

Yeah I compared them, what's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:

Yeah I compared them, what's wrong with that?
    Just thought it was weird. Incest usually involves mental illnesses, low IQ, terrible upbringings and mostly non consenting adults (or minors).

Homosexual relationships are nothing like them.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought it was weird. Incest usually involves mental illnesses, low IQ, terrible upbringings and mostly non consenting adults (or minors).

Homosexual relationships are nothing like them.
    We used to say that homosexuality was a mental illness too.
    Where there are two consenting adults, I don't have a problem with incest apart from possible procreation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    Gay people have been persecuted for the best part of 2 millennia.When the allies liberated the concentration camps from the Nazis,gay men were left in there to carry out their sentences.In large parts of the world being gay is punishable by imprisonment or death.The number of gay people who have commited suicide due to family rejection and self loathing over the centuries is probably countless.If the same thing had happened to straight people then they would be having a bit of a party too.It's hardly surprising that people want to celebrate and they should do too for all those others who cannot.If you don't want to see it then don't go to a gay pride parade.Simples.
    Yes, gays have been persecuted but that is simply not the case now in most first world countries. A large proportion of gay persecution has been based on the concept that they're mentally ill sexual deviants, and tbh some of what's on show at gay pride parades only goes to support that for the people who still believe that. This then goes on to support homophobic diatribes in the countries where gays actually are persecuted and so actively harms relations between the straight and gay populace in countries where the relations are already fragile.

Also, if you accept your sexual orientation is something you are born with, then why would you be proud of it? Instead of gay pride, why isn't there brunette pride, or leg pride?

Finally, gay pride parades can be loud, flashy, garish and obnoxious. If they go near where you live, it's like saying "if you don't like cigarette smoke, just don't breathe".

ReputationRep:
    "I don't have a problem with gay people as long as they don't rub it in my face"

aka "Straight couples are allowed to be featured prominently on TV shows, movies, advertisements, music videos, books and be the face of many relationship based products like Mr and Mrs/Husband and Wife type items but if a gay couple dared to kiss in public - even if they're 20 feet away from me - they're rubbing it in my face."

"That's so gay"/"******"/"Bender"/"Tag a mate who secretly is gay" type lad banter

aka "I have no idea how severe an impact I can have on people with such a simple choice of words. Out of all the hundreds of insults I can use to have banter and take the piss, I must insist on repeatedly using gay themed insults because they're the most powerful and no straight guy can accept that insult without getting worked up and angry, as if being gay is the worst thing in the world."

Those are the two most common ones and the one that piss me off the most. You think they'll ever die out or fade away in society? Are there any other examples? It seems that while the actual act of physical violence and legal rights towards the LGBT community have DEFINITELY improved, there's still the casual comments and views from society that definitely indicate that we still have a longgggggg way to go.
    I think to an extent people need to understand people are using them sort of phrases not to insult but to just call something bad. I'll admit i've made gay jokes and described stuff in that manner but i don't mean. I think it's pathetic how a minority of gays are still complaining especially in the UK, there are gays getting thrown off buildings in muslim countries and mob hunt for gays and gang attacks on gay in eastern countries and you're here complaining about someone using a phrase not literally saying stuff like "fag". It's pathetic, realise you have equal rights and stop taking everything literally. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    In colloquial terms that's so gay means that's so bad. Is it offensive though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.