Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    "Behaviour" is also a noun. How can you disagree with a noun?
    Is this honestly the best argument you have because I'm sort of cringing at this.

Homophobic behaviours can be changed. Homosexuality cannot.

Do you understand it now??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow2009)
    Is this honestly the best argument you have because I'm sort of cringing at this.

Homophobic behaviours can be changed. Homosexuality cannot.

Do you understand it now??
    "How can you disagree with a noun" was actually your argument. I'm glad you now appreciate how cringey it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    If my child is gay then I will deal with it, but it's not something I would wish for. How is that homophobic?
    By saying that you don't want your children to be disabled, does that mean you discriminate against disabled people? No. You just want your child to have the best in life and you know that they are more likely to be penalised and victimised if they're a minority.
    So you don't want your child to be gay based on the fact they might be bullied?"I don't want my child to be black because they might be bullied". Do you not think that maybe people should stop bullying others instead of hoping that kids do not have certain characteristics? It's not gay people who should change,it is society that should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    So you don't want your child to be gay based on the fact they might be bullied?"I don't want my child to be black because they might be bullied". Do you not think that maybe people should stop bullying others instead of hoping that kids do not have certain characteristics? It's not gay people who should change,it is society that should.
    Bullied is a bit of an understatement, but yes. Well obviously we'd all prefer if bullying doesn't exist, but it does and it always will. Some people don't want to have black children, and I can understand that especially if you're living in the Uk/USA

ReputationRep:
    Bullied is a bit of an understatement, but yes. Well obviously we'd all prefer if bullying doesn't exist, but it does and it always will. Some people don't want to have black children, and I can understand that especially if you're living in the Uk/USA
    That's rather cowardly and submissive but hey-ho each to their own and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    That's rather cowardly and submissive but hey-ho each to their own and whatnot.
    Sorry but that is just the reality of it. I'm African, but I wouldn't give a child of mine an African first name, because I know how judgemental and mean kids at school can be, not to mention some employers aswell.

ReputationRep:
    "How can you disagree with a noun" was actually your argument. I'm glad you now appreciate how cringey it is.
    Wow, we're really getting technical now aren't we?

You disagreed with 'homosexuality', which, as a noun, is something that EXISTS and CANNOT be changed under no circumstances. It's not about whether you agree or disagree with it because it's always been there, is currently present and will always be there.

I disagreed with "homophobia", which is also a noun but is defined by "dislike and/or prejudice towards homosexuals". I CAN agree or disagree with homophobia because attitudes and behaviours can be changed or modified to be less hurtful and more accepting.

ReputationRep:
    "I don't have a problem with gay people as long as they don't rub it in my face"
    I see nothing wrong with this. In the same way I don't have a problem with vegans, or people of religion X, or people who eat meat, or any other group, as long as they don't rub it in my face.

If someone wants to be gay then that's grand, I dgaf. If someone brings it up at every opportunity then I'm going to grow to dislike them pretty quickly.

Also I find it interesting that you don't think gay is acceptable as an insult, but knob is. Are you trying to say there's something innately wrong with penises? Do you have any thoughts on people being called a pussy, I know that often gets hypersensitive, political correctness zealots riled up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    I see nothing wrong with this. In the same way I don't have a problem with vegans, or people of religion X, or people who eat meat, or any other group, as long as they don't rub it in my face.

If someone wants to be gay then that's grand, I dgaf. If someone brings it up at every opportunity then I'm going to grow to dislike them pretty quickly.

Also I find it interesting that you don't think gay is acceptable as an insult, but knob is. Are you trying to say there's something innately wrong with penises? Do you have any thoughts on people being called a pussy, I know that often gets hypersensitive, political correctness zealots riled up.
    "Rub it in my face" = again, this is a pretty vague term. What exactly would you define as rubbing it in your face? Would it be holding hands in public? Kissing in public? Maybe making a few jokes about it? "Liking" and "Sharing" LGBT stuff on social media? I don't think any of this is really rubbing it in your face. If someone mentions it ALOT then fair enough, I can see how that would be annoying but I did state in a few posts that homophobic people do like to use the "rub it in my face" comment alot for no reason. If you were with a straight guy and they kept talking about their girlfriend and how much pussy they loved and constantly spoke about past girlfriends/sex/romance related stuff, would you consider that as him rubbing his sexuality in your face?

"Wants to be gay" = again implies that sexuality as a choice. Nobody wants or chooses to be gay. Take that from someone who spent years depressed and suicidal and even took up praying and trying all sorts of exercises and mind control to change it.

How can you compare "gay" as an insult and "knob"? A penis is a body part and gay refers to a human being. Every insult is designed to hurt someone (even just for banter) and calling someone a penis is humorous and barely offensive. Calling someone a pussy or penis is just because they're "funny", "forbidden" words and body parts and are popular swear words, which again tend to be the pattern for most insults. Gay refers to a sexual orientation and using it as an insult implies that the orientation itself is bad.

ReputationRep:
    "Rub it in my face" = again, this is a pretty vague term. What exactly would you define as rubbing it in your face? Would it be holding hands in public? Kissing in public? Maybe making a few jokes about it? "Liking" and "Sharing" LGBT stuff on social media? I don't think any of this is really rubbing it in your face. If someone mentions it ALOT then fair enough, I can see how that would be annoying but I did state in a few posts that homophobic people do like to use the "rub it in my face" comment alot for no reason. If you were with a straight guy and they kept talking about their girlfriend and how much pussy they loved and constantly spoke about past girlfriends/sex/romance related stuff, would you consider that as him rubbing his sexuality in your face?
    I just explained exactly what I mean by rubbing it in my face... If anyone talks about anything at any given opportunity then yes, I consider it rubbing it in my face AS I ALREADY ****ING SAID IN MY EXAMPLE... In my experience minority groups, such as gays, have a habit of doing this a lot; maybe that's why people use the term a lot when referring to them. I've only had a few gay mates, but I've heard waaaay more stories about gay escapades than I have straight ones.

"Wants to be gay" = again implies that sexuality as a choice. Nobody wants or chooses to be gay. Take that from someone who spent years depressed and suicidal and even took up praying and trying all sorts of exercises and mind control to change it.
    W/e, that's not even worthy of a reasoned response.

How can you compare "gay" as an insult and "knob"? A penis is a body part and gay refers to a human being. Every insult is designed to hurt someone (even just for banter) and calling someone a penis is humorous and barely offensive. Calling someone a pussy or penis is just because they're "funny", "forbidden" words and body parts and are popular swear words, which again tend to be the pattern for most insults. Gay refers to a sexual orientation and using it as an insult implies that the orientation itself is bad.
    Oh, so someone using a psychological part of someone as an insult is bad, but using a physical part of someone as an insult is fine? That logic is terrible. Personally I don't care about any of them. Gay is just a humorous word, if you see it as more than that then frankly that's your ****ing problem.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, we're really getting technical now aren't we?

You disagreed with 'homosexuality', which, as a noun, is something that EXISTS and CANNOT be changed under no circumstances. It's not about whether you agree or disagree with it because it's always been there, is currently present and will always be there.

I disagreed with "homophobia", which is also a noun but is defined by "dislike and/or prejudice towards homosexuals". I CAN agree or disagree with homophobia because attitudes and behaviours can be changed or modified to be less hurtful and more accepting.
    Can people disagree with homosexual behaviour then?

ReputationRep:
    What is homosexual behaviour even? Is there something called straight behaviour?

If by that you're referring to 'homosexual sex', why do you feel the need to express your disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    What is homosexual behaviour even? Is there something called straight behaviour?

If by that you're referring to 'homosexual sex', why do you feel the need to express your disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, why are you questioning somebody about their disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?

ReputationRep:
    Which would be classed as homophobia.

Well we got there in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Which would be classed as homophobia.

Well we got there in the end.
    How is that homophobia just because you disagree? Disagreeing with it doesn't mean you dislike gay people, or will treat them any differently. If I disagree with Islam, does that make me an islamophobe? you people need to stop calling everything homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Well, why are you questioning somebody about their disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?
    Erm, yes. Their disagreement actually hurts people so I do get something out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is that homophobia just because you disagree? Disagreeing with it doesn't mean you dislike gay people, or will treat them any differently. If I disagree with Islam, does that make me an islamophobe? you people need to stop calling everything homophobic.
    I think the problem you lot are having is by using the incredibly ambiguous term 'disagreeing' - what do you mean by all of this? You can disagree with something so much that you think it ought not be allowed which is pretty much homophobia, but then likewise you can just disagree with the idea of something yet allow for the principle to happen.

So I think both of you (well afaik there are like 4 of you debating this but I mean you + OP) are correct, you're just equivocating the word 'disagree'.

ReputationRep:
    No because Islam is something you choose.Whearas homosexuality is something inherent to your being just as being straight is.If you say you disagree with heterosexuality then that makes no sense.It exists.You can disagree all you want it still exists.The problem is that you don't afford the same respect to homosexuals as you do heterosexuals.You assume that they can just seperate their feelings from their actions.You would never say that being straight is just the act of sex itself.So why do you do so with gay people? Being straight is about much more than sex,its about love and attraction.In the same way being gay is another form of love.Its not about sex.So when you say you diagree,you make it about sex.But its not.Thats why christians are wrong when they say love the sinner but hate the sin.Being gay is something you are not something you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    Erm, yes. Their disagreement actually hurts people so I do get something out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If a stranger disagreeing with something you do hurts your feelings then that's your own problem tbh

ReputationRep:
    If a stranger disagreeing with something you do hurts your feelings then that's your own problem tbh
    There's a difference between disagreeing and voicing that disagreement to the other.

Would you be fine with someone telling you in your face that s/he hates 'blacks'?

If not, that's your own problem tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.