Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Casual homophobia Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    What is homosexual behaviour even? Is there something called straight behaviour?

If by that you're referring to 'homosexual sex', why do you feel the need to express your disagreement? Do you gain any benefit out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I'm referring to homosexual sex.

I don't really feel the need to express disagreement. The OP is asking "how can one disagree with something that simply exists?" So I'm making the distinction between homosexuality as an orientation and homosexual activity as in a set of actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    In general they are indoctrinated into religion.So maybe less of a choice.The difference is you can choose to stop being religious.I know because I've done it.The same is not true for being gay.
    Something can change your beliefs, just as something can change your sexuality. That doesn't mean you can just sit down and think "I'm not going to think this any more" with one more than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow2009)
    Sexuality is part of biology. Every single person who ever existed/exists on the planet has a sexuality, whether that be hetero/homo/pan/bi or anything else. Nobody chooses which sexuality they have and there is absolutely no way of changing or "modifying" it. You're stuck with it.

People can change their religion. Some people go through multiple religions in their lifetime. It's not like homosexuality at all.
    Some people go through multiple sexualities in their life time, and you have to have some basis of belief in just the same way as you have to have some form of sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Some people go through multiple sexualities in their life time, and you have to have some basis of belief in just the same way as you have to have some form of sexuality.
    Sexuality doesn't change. People may claim to be straight and then come out as gay later in life, or they may claim to be bisexual instead of admitting to be fully gay, or they may be confused and not be entirely sure what sexuality they are, but if sexuality could be changed then you would have the entire gay population switching over to "be straight" as soon as they could.

Something can change your beliefs, just as something can change your sexuality. That doesn't mean you can just sit down and think "I'm not going to think this any more" with one more than the other.

Something can't change your sexuality. Conversion therapies, praying to a God, electric shocks and other methods have been tested and all have proved unsuccessful.

ReputationRep:
    Sexuality doesn't change. People may claim to be straight and then come out as gay later in life, or they may claim to be bisexual instead of admitting to be fully gay, or they may be confused and not be entirely sure what sexuality they are, but if sexuality could be changed then you would have the entire gay population switching over to "be straight" as soon as they could.

Something can't change your sexuality. Conversion therapies, praying to a God, electric shocks and other methods have been tested and all have proved unsuccessful.
    I'm sorry, but it's been proven that people who would have always identified as gay and never given it a second thought, can find members of the opposite sex attractive and happily settle down for life with them. This isn't them fighting their nature, and sure, they may still find more people of the same sex attractive than the average straight person, but sexuality can change. I didn't at any point say someone could willingly change it, in fact I specifically stated the opposite. Once again your failing to actually ****ing read a response, but that's been a theme throughout this thread hasn't it?

In the same way I don't think it's possible to just sit down and will your beliefs to disappear, but that doesn't mean they can't change.

ReputationRep:
    Does somebody force straight people to have sex? Expecting gay people to not have sex their entire lives is just as harmful as expecting straight people not to have sex their entire lives. So no it's not a choice anymore than it is for straight people.Would you also say that straight behaviour is a choice?
    Incest is different because they are not exclusively attracted to family members.They can be attracted to anyone.Its also very often an abusive relationship because one party in general has power over the other one eg.a mother and son.Peadophilia is obviously harmful to children so the two are not comparable.
    Calling people out on their hatred is not hatred. I'm quite bored of religious people saying they are getting persecuted when they are themselves doing the persecution.Its ridiculous.Being intolerant of intolerance is not a bad thing.
    I never said that gay people shouldn't have sex. Them having sex has nothing to do with me, let them do as they please. Of course straight behaviour is a choice.
    If two adults are attracted to eachother, is it any of your business if they are related by blood or not? No but I'm sure you'd have an opinion about it. Not only that, but why should they terminate their relationship if there's no guarantee that they'll find that same happiness in another mate?

ReputationRep:
    So what exactly do you disagree with then?!? Clearly whatever reason it is that you "disagree" with homosexuality is, it's not strong enough to make you dislike gay people or treat them differently so in that case I'm just wondering where the issue is. Why disagree with something that isn't affecting you?

Islam is a religion, it's not a sexual orientation?
    'Why disagree with something that isn't affecting you?' Are you kidding? Does it have to affect you specifically for you to have an opinion?

I've said already that people can disagree with the idea of two people of the same sex engaging in sexual activity. That's not necessarily saying that you disagree with homosexuality, because some straight people engage in such behaviour too

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but it's been proven that people who would have always identified as gay and never given it a second thought, can find members of the opposite sex attractive and happily settle down for life with them.
    Well then it's either due to them actually being bisexual and actually being attracted to the opposite sex or it's them wanting a traditional/easy life and choosing to settle down with someone they don't love.

There are tons of stories of gay men marrying women as a pretence only for it to inevitably end in divorce when the guy can't pretend any longer and either admits the truth to the wife or she catches him ****ing another guy.

I find plenty of girls attractive and can say "wow, they're pretty good looking" and, if forced to, could marry and settle down with one but there would be absolutely zero passion or sexual feelings from my end because that's not the way that I'm wired. Just because I'm capable of recognising a girls looks and capable of "settling down" with them doesn't mean that I'm not gay. Straight guys could do the exact same for gay guys if it was a social norm and they wanted an easier life.

ReputationRep:
    Well then it's either due to them actually being bisexual and actually being attracted to the opposite sex or it's them wanting a traditional/easy life and choosing to settle down with someone they don't love.

There are tons of stories of gay men marrying women as a pretence only for it to inevitably end in divorce when the guy can't pretend any longer and either admits the truth to the wife or she catches him ****ing another guy.

I find plenty of girls attractive and can say "wow, they're pretty good looking" and, if forced to, could marry and settle down with one but there would be absolutely zero passion or sexual feelings from my end because that's not the way that I'm wired. Just because I'm capable of recognising a girls looks and capable of "settling down" with them doesn't mean that I'm not gay. Straight guys could do the exact same for gay guys if it was a social norm and they wanted an easier life.
    No, it's not, and you sticking to this close minded idea of "I was born this way and will never change" just to comfort yourself or those around you or whatever is ****ing disgusting, because it means those who's sexuality does change don't only get alienated by heterosexuals, but also by homosexuals.

For someone who's all for supporting peoples choice and being open and defending minorities you should be ****ing ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but it's been proven that people who would have always identified as gay and never given it a second thought, can find members of the opposite sex attractive and happily settle down for life with them. This isn't them fighting their nature, and sure, they may still find more people of the same sex attractive than the average straight person, but sexuality can change. I didn't at any point say someone could willingly change it, in fact I specifically stated the opposite. Once again your failing to actually ****ing read a response, but that's been a theme throughout this thread hasn't it?

In the same way I don't think it's possible to just sit down and will your beliefs to disappear, but that doesn't mean they can't change.
    That has most definitely not been proven.In fact scientists have actually shown that there is likely an innate genetic component to sexuality.You cannot change your sexuality. It is most definitely possible to change your beliefs though.All you have to do is question why you hold those beliefs.I used to believe in God and Jesus but then I questioned why I believed and discovered that it's likely the whole thing is made up.Peoples beliefs change literally all the time. Convincing yourself that you like the opposite gender when you are gay is not the same as actually changing your sexuality. And gay people can find women beautiful.Just as straight men can tell if a man is good looking but it's not the same as being sexually attracted to them.

ReputationRep:
    That has most definitely not been proven.In fact scientists have actually shown that there is likely an innate genetic component to sexuality.You cannot change your sexuality. It is most definitely possible to change your beliefs though.All you have to do is question why you hold those beliefs.I used to believe in God and Jesus but then I questioned why I believed and discovered that it's likely the whole thing is made up.Peoples beliefs change literally all the time. Convincing yourself that you like the opposite gender when you are gay is not the same as actually changing your sexuality. And gay people can find women beautiful.Just as straight men can tell if a man is good looking but it's not the same as being sexually attracted to them.
    Well that's funny, because it doesn't take much googling to dig up studies from scientists demonstrating sexuality can change.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's funny, because it doesn't take much googling to dig up studies from scientists demonstrating sexuality can change.

Care to link any?

ReputationRep:
    Gay people have been persecuted for the best part of 2 millennia.When the allies liberated the concentration camps from the Nazis,gay men were left in there to carry out their sentences.In large parts of the world being gay is punishable by imprisonment or death.The number of gay people who have commited suicide due to family rejection and self loathing over the centuries is probably countless.If the same thing had happened to straight people then they would be having a bit of a party too.It's hardly surprising that people want to celebrate and they should do too for all those others who cannot.If you don't want to see it then don't go to a gay pride parade.Simples.
    Atheists have been persecuted for just as long if not longer and yet we don't see an atheist pride parade every year?

That's something to ponder on isn't it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fujoshi)
    Atheists have been persecuted for just as long if not longer and yet we don't see an atheist pride parade every year?

That's something to ponder on isn't it...
    Not for something they are though,for something they believe.And maybe there should be an atheist pride.It's only recently that atheism has become so widespread though.

ReputationRep:
    Not for something they are though,for something they believe.And maybe there should be an atheist pride.It's only recently that atheism has become so widespread though.
    Actually atheism is a lack of belief... not to mention all other species that have ever existed also lack a belief in god(s) by default additionally everyone starts off as atheists as they only become religious through being taught. And as religion can be considered as a result of our evolution - cultural being an intrinsic aspect of our species (look up biocultural evolution) - it too could be considered something people are. Especially considering the current trend of people making their sexuality their defining personality trait even more parallels could be drawn no?

And what's to say that there hasn't always been a large number of atheists or that they're wouldn't have been more sooner if not for fear of persecution and the whole burning heretics at the stake etc which has previously gone on? Well there's still quite a lot of persecution of atheists that goes on with people scared to admit in their lack of belief even in western countries (the president of the USA needing to be religious is one example).

ReputationRep:
    It's not homophobia, they aren't 'afraid' of gay people. They just find the idea disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarthRoar)
    It's not homophobia, they aren't 'afraid' of gay people. They just find the idea disgusting.
    Homophobia isn't just about being afraid of gay people, it also involves discriminating or disliking someone simply because they are gay

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not, and you sticking to this close minded idea of "I was born this way and will never change" just to comfort yourself or those around you or whatever is ****ing disgusting, because it means those who's sexuality does change don't only get alienated by heterosexuals, but also by homosexuals.

For someone who's all for supporting peoples choice and being open and defending minorities you should be ****ing ashamed.
    Sorry buddy. As myself and other posters have already said, sexuality does not change.

Why don't you test it for yourself? How about you turn gay for tonight, try pansexual tomorrow and then bisexual on Monday and let me know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry buddy. As myself and other posters have already said, sexuality does not change.

Why don't you test it for yourself? How about you turn gay for tonight, try pansexual tomorrow and then bisexual on Monday and let me know how you get on.
    I've repeatably said that you can't just will your own sexuality to change. Jesus, you really do have a ****ing problem reading don't you?

What I've said is peoples sexuality can change. All your doing by denying it in invalidating these peoples sexuality. How do you feel when people do that to you?

ReputationRep:
    I've repeatably said that you can't just will your own sexuality to change. Jesus, you really do have a ****ing problem reading don't you?

What I've said is peoples sexuality can change. All your doing by denying it in invalidating these peoples sexuality. How do you feel when people do that to you?

How can peoples sexuality change? Most likely they were never gay to start with if there sexuality changes,or they were bisexual.Or they are deceiving themselves that they like women.Thats not the same as changing your sexuality.If you could change your sexuality then maybe gay people would have considered that when they were being put in concentration camps or experimented on by the Nazis? I googled it and the only references I could find to sexuality changing were tests done on mice.Mice are not humans.What holds true for mice doesn't necessarily hold true for humans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.