Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    How can peoples sexuality change? Most likely they were never gay to start with if there sexuality changes,or they were bisexual.Or they are deceiving themselves that they like women.Thats not the same as changing your sexuality.If you could change your sexuality then maybe gay people would have considered that when they were being put in concentration camps or experimented on by the Nazis? I googled it and the only references I could find to sexuality changing were tests done on mice.Mice are not humans.What holds true for mice doesn't necessarily hold true for humans.
    And yet I know multiple people that have changed sexuality.

It's funny how libtards and cuckservatives want to say that if someone suddenly says they're gay even though before they liked the opposite sex - "they're finding themselves".

But if someone suddenly becomes straight even though before they liked their own sex, "they were never truly gay", "they're just deceiving themselves" or the classic "they're probably bisexual".

You then go on about some crap to do with animal testing even though you benefit from it hugely due to the fact many of the effects that are displayed on mice are also displayed on humans...

Come to think of it, aren't you that atheist that challenged me in a religious debate and ran away over 3 different threads?
    LMAO

ReputationRep:
    How can peoples sexuality change? Most likely they were never gay to start with if there sexuality changes,or they were bisexual.Or they are deceiving themselves that they like women.Thats not the same as changing your sexuality.If you could change your sexuality then maybe gay people would have considered that when they were being put in concentration camps or experimented on by the Nazis? I googled it and the only references I could find to sexuality changing were tests done on mice.Mice are not humans.What holds true for mice doesn't necessarily hold true for humans.
    One's sexuality can change over time and does have a certain level of fluidity. Ones sexuality can be influenced by their environment and hormonal changes for example (which are just two of a number of possible influences on sexuality).It's not a conscious choice though. One doesn't choose to bring about this change, but it can and does happen, especially during pubity.

Whilst only anecdotal, I'm a heterosexual male, but during my years of puberty, I was attracted to both genders. At no point did I make a conscious choice over my sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, can no-one here ****ing read? (Given that you can barely ****ing write I guess it wouldn't surprise me)

I said sexuality can change, not that you can change your sexuality. Can you really not see the difference between those two sentences.

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness is cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyJosh)
    And yet I know multiple people that have changed sexuality.

It's funny how libtards and cuckservatives want to say that if someone suddenly says they're gay even though before they liked the opposite sex - "they're finding themselves".

But if someone suddenly becomes straight even though before they liked their own sex, "they were never truly gay", "they're just deceiving themselves" or the classic "they're probably bisexual".

You then go on about some crap to do with animal testing even though you benefit from it hugely due to the fact many of the effects that are displayed on mice are also displayed on humans...

Come to think of it, aren't you that atheist that challenged me in a religious debate and ran away over 3 different threads?
    LMAO
    Maybe because it's pointless arguing with someone who never admits they are wrong.It gets boring.You probably know multiple people who have changed sexuality because religious people tend to pressure people into stuff.In highly religious and traditional societies a gay man will marry a woman and have kids.He has not become straight though.He is still gay but is just married to a woman.He is effectively suppressing his sexuality simply to conform to society.As for animal testing I was responding to the other guy who said to Google sexuality changing.All I could find was some stuff about mice changing sexuality when sprayed with a hormone.That proves nothing.Effects in mice do not always reflect effects in humans.What is carcinogenic in rats for example is not always so in humans and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    One's sexuality can change over time and does have a certain level of fluidity. Ones sexuality can be influenced by their environment and hormonal changes for example (which are just two of a number of possible influences on sexuality).It's not a conscious choice though. One doesn't choose to bring about this change, but it can and does happen, especially during pubity.

Whilst only anecdotal, I'm a heterosexual male, but during my years of puberty, I was attracted to both genders. At no point did I make a conscious choice over my sexuality.
    Any proof for all this.There is just as much evidence that it is genetic rather than environment or hormones.If I were to guess I would say it's like intelligence.Largely genetic but can be influenced by environment and societal factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Ffs, can no-one here ****ing read? (Given that you can barely ****ing write I guess it wouldn't surprise me)

I said sexuality can change, not that you can change your sexuality. Can you really not see the difference between those two sentences.

I can certainly write better than you.

ReputationRep:
    Any proof for all this.There is just as much evidence that it is genetic rather than environment or hormones.If I were to guess I would say it's like intelligence.Largely genetic but can be influenced by environment and societal factors.
    Proof for what? I didn't say there was or wasn't a genetic aspect. I also didn't say that the environment and hormones are the only influences. I just said there were multiple influences.

ReputationRep:
    Proof for what? I didn't say there was or wasn't a genetic aspect. I also didn't say that the environment and hormones are the only influences. I just said there were multiple influences.

That sexuality can change over time or that it is influenced by hormones and the environment.As far as I know the cause of sexuality is unknown.Sure there have been studies but nothing definitive.Its mostly just speculation at the moment.Nobody knows what causes sexuality or what influences it.It could be entirely genetic but it might not be.Its unknown.

ReputationRep:
    I can certainly write better than you.
    Of course, I'm so sorry. You're right; not putting spaces after punctuation is a clear sign of a brilliant scribe.

Not to mention you impeccable use of "your", and your general aversion to commas.

I assume you can understand the differences between the two sentences I wrote, so now that you get that do you actually have any reasonable basis for your claim that sexuality can't change? I mean you yourself state we don't know what causes someones sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus this thread is a freaking mess from start to finish.
    1) To go back to the original topic of this thread, if you use words like "gay" "f•g" etc. specifically to insult someone who is/you perceive to be gay that's homophobic there is no way around that.

2) Using those words as general insults isn't necessarily homophobic in and of itself but is a symptom of homophobia/misogyny, a lot of it has to do with defined gender roles in society and femininity being seen as a weakness which is why feminism is so important to the LGBT rights movement. If people stop seeing being traditionally feminine as a bad thing people will stop using it as an insult.

3) Yes LGBT people get to decide if something offends them, that doesn't mean other people can't comment on if somethings offensive. For example i'm white but if you were to call a black person a monkey I would tell you that was racist, not because I've decided that's offensive but because black people have told society that's offensive. Of course different gay people will find different things offensive and to varying levels. Again for example, I'm gay and I don't find the word queer offensive because I use it as a self identifier and find the flexibility and inclusiveness of the term empowering. However there are some gay people who find it offensive (especially older gay men) because it was used as a slur. Words do hurt, it goes beyond name calling, it is someone telling you that what you are is bad, not what you wear or what you do, what you are. Basically it's about being a decent human being and if someone tells you they find something offensive don't say it in front of them and maybe next time you're about to say it in front of other people stop for half a second and consider if someone else might find it offensive.

4) I don't necessarily disagree that some gay people are over-sensitive, I have a pretty diverse group of friends when it comes to straights/non-straights and we make jokes about are straight friends being gay all the time, non of us care. But please just try and be considerate as to why someone might be overly-sensitive to certain words/phrases, even if you just mean it as a light-hearted joke, there is every chance someone else didn't. Like I said, just try and be a decent human being and I'm sure we'll all get along fine.

5) Pride parades aren't just about gay people getting together to be all flamboyant. They're actually held in memory of the stonewall riots, which basically birthed the modern gay-rights movement. They're part of our history and culture, the same way carnivals are part of other peoples cultures. You don't have to understand it, you don't have to like it, all you have to do is show respect.

6) Generally gay men aren't camp out of choice, it's part of their personality and so much of the gay-rights movement is about people not having to hide who they are anymore. You don't have to be friends with these people, but you do have to respect their existence.

7) When people say sexuality is fluid, they aren't necessarily talking about a persons literal sexuality, they're often talking about how that person identifies. So someone might first identify as gay, then bi, then pan. They're intrinsic hard-wired sexuality hasn't change, the word they use to describe it has as their understanding of it evolves. A man might identify as straight his whole life and then meet a guy who he falls in love with and enjoys having sex with, his sexuality hasn't changed, he's just always been attracted to a very limited number of guys in limited circumstances (perhaps literally just that one guy) or maybe hasn't acted on those feelings.

8) Disagreeing with gay sex isn't what makes it bad, I don't really care if you don't like how I'm having sex, just the same why I don't care how you're having sex. However I do care how your disagreement with gay sex impacts society. Because whilst you might not act on your 'disagreement' other people do and if you directly influence someone who then discriminates against gay people (children is a prime example here) you have contributed to the problem of homophobia on a wider scale.

9) If you find PDA in general uncomfortable that's fine, but if you get made uncomfortable by two guys kissing, maybe you should ask yourself why? I don't get uncomfortable when I see straight people kissing, I don't want to stop and stare but I don't get uncomfortable. But being made uncomfortable by gay PDA isn't homophobic, it's a symptom of homophobia, you're told two guy's kissing is a bad thing and (even if it's subconsciously) you see that and react badly.

Basically casual homophobia is a thing, it exists and can be harmful. Btw this isn't a reply to any one specific person, more to everyone in this mess of a thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penn-writing)
    Jesus this thread is a freaking mess from start to finish.
    1) To go back to the original topic of this thread, if you use words like "gay" "f•g" etc. specifically to insult someone who is/you perceive to be gay that's homophobic there is no way around that.

2) Using those words as general insults isn't necessarily homophobic in and of itself but is a symptom of homophobia/misogyny, a lot of it has to do with defined gender roles in society and femininity being seen as a weakness which is why feminism is so important to the LGBT rights movement. If people stop seeing being traditionally feminine as a bad thing people will stop using it as an insult.

3) Yes LGBT people get to decide if something offends them, that doesn't mean other people can't comment on if somethings offensive. For example i'm white but if you were to call a black person a monkey I would tell you that was racist, not because I've decided that's offensive but because black people have told society that's offensive. Of course different gay people will find different things offensive and to varying levels. Again for example, I'm gay and I don't find the word queer offensive because I use it as a self identifier and find the flexibility and inclusiveness of the term empowering. However there are some gay people who find it offensive (especially older gay men) because it was used as a slur. Words do hurt, it goes beyond name calling, it is someone telling you that what you are is bad, not what you wear or what you do, what you are. Basically it's about being a decent human being and if someone tells you they find something offensive don't say it in front of them and maybe next time you're about to say it in front of other people stop for half a second and consider if someone else might find it offensive.

4) I don't necessarily disagree that some gay people are over-sensitive, I have a pretty diverse group of friends when it comes to straights/non-straights and we make jokes about are straight friends being gay all the time, non of us care. But please just try and be considerate as to why someone might be overly-sensitive to certain words/phrases, even if you just mean it as a light-hearted joke, there is every chance someone else didn't. Like I said, just try and be a decent human being and I'm sure we'll all get along fine.

5) Pride parades aren't just about gay people getting together to be all flamboyant. They're actually held in memory of the stonewall riots, which basically birthed the modern gay-rights movement. They're part of our history and culture, the same way carnivals are part of other peoples cultures. You don't have to understand it, you don't have to like it, all you have to do is show respect.

6) Generally gay men aren't camp out of choice, it's part of their personality and so much of the gay-rights movement is about people not having to hide who they are anymore. You don't have to be friends with these people, but you do have to respect their existence.

7) When people say sexuality is fluid, they aren't necessarily talking about a persons literal sexuality, they're often talking about how that person identifies. So someone might first identify as gay, then bi, then pan. They're intrinsic hard-wired sexuality hasn't change, the word they use to describe it has as their understanding of it evolves. A man might identify as straight his whole life and then meet a guy who he falls in love with and enjoys having sex with, his sexuality hasn't changed, he's just always been attracted to a very limited number of guys in limited circumstances (perhaps literally just that one guy) or maybe hasn't acted on those feelings.

8) Disagreeing with gay sex isn't what makes it bad, I don't really care if you don't like how I'm having sex, just the same why I don't care how you're having sex. However I do care how your disagreement with gay sex impacts society. Because whilst you might not act on your 'disagreement' other people do and if you directly influence someone who then discriminates against gay people (children is a prime example here) you have contributed to the problem of homophobia on a wider scale.

9) If you find PDA in general uncomfortable that's fine, but if you get made uncomfortable by two guys kissing, maybe you should ask yourself why? I don't get uncomfortable when I see straight people kissing, I don't want to stop and stare but I don't get uncomfortable. But being made uncomfortable by gay PDA isn't homophobic, it's a symptom of homophobia, you're told two guy's kissing is a bad thing and (even if it's subconsciously) you see that and react badly.

Basically casual homophobia is a thing, it exists and can be harmful. Btw this isn't a reply to any one specific person, more to everyone in this mess of a thread.
    Thanks for writing this response x

ReputationRep:
    That sexuality can change over time or that it is influenced by hormones and the environment.As far as I know the cause of sexuality is unknown.Sure there have been studies but nothing definitive.Its mostly just speculation at the moment.Nobody knows what causes sexuality or what influences it.It could be entirely genetic but it might not be.Its unknown.
    Whilst the exact causes remain unknown, the general stance taken by quite a number of scientists is that it is a complex interaction of multiple factors that are at play.

But the idea that sexuality is 100% driven by genes alone leaves much unexplained. Kinsey's studies on sexuality for example showed that homosexual experiences among otherwise heterosexual men is fairly common. One can also look at the stereotypes that have sprung up about the prevalence of homosexuality in male prisons, the navy and all male schools. One can add to that also my own anecdotal eperience, and what we are left with is much that still is left unexplained.

One of the difficulties however with studying this area is that there is still stigma among heterosexual men who have had homosexual experiences. In Christopher Hitchens autobiography he documented his experiece with homosexuality within his all-boy boarding school he quite aptly summed up this attitude when he said "it is very important to understand that ninety percent of those enthusiastic particpants [of homosexual encounters] would have punched you in the throat if you had suggested there was anything homosexual (or 'queer') about what they were doing."

ReputationRep:
    Whilst the exact causes remain unknown, the general stance taken by quite a number of scientists is that it is a complex interaction of multiple factors that are at play.

But the idea that sexuality is 100% driven by genes alone leaves much unexplained. Kinsey's studies on sexuality for example showed that homosexual experiences among otherwise heterosexual men is fairly common. One can also look at the stereotypes that have sprung up about the prevalence of homosexuality in male prisons, the navy and all male schools. One can add to that also my own anecdotal eperience, and what we are left with is much that still is left unexplained.

One of the difficulties however with studying this area is that there is still stigma among heterosexual men who have had homosexual experiences. In Christopher Hitchens autobiography he documented his experiece with homosexuality within his all-boy boarding school he quite aptly summed up this attitude when he said "it is very important to understand that ninety percent of those enthusiastic particpants [of homosexual encounters] would have punched you in the throat if you had suggested there was anything homosexual (or 'queer' about what they were doing."
    But that's just homosexual actions not the actual attraction.I'm sure many gay men have slept with women but unless they are actually attracted to them then they are still gay.Likewise if a straight man does something with another man but doesn't feel any attraction then he is still straight. It's to do with attraction not actions.Some women will experiment with other women,just to see what it's like but in the end you see where their preferences lie because they marry a man.As for hitchens he described himself as bisexual and those other boys could easily have grown up to be gay or bisexual themselves.He grew up in a very different time where homosexuality was either illegal or had just been decriminalised.

ReputationRep:
    if a straight man does something with another man but doesn't feel any attraction then he is still straight.
    Na he's gay, or bi or 'bicurious'. Especially if he enjoys it. Do you believe in 'gay for pay' ?

ReputationRep:
    If you are truly a straight guy you will have absolutely zero interest in jumping into bed with another guy, even to 'experiment'.

This is reminding me of the 'straight ladz' on Grindr who insist they're straight but are just 'curious'. You're not fully straight if you want sex with someone from the same gender. You're bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow2009)
    If you are truly a straight guy you will have absolutely zero interest in jumping into bed with another guy, even to 'experiment'.

This is reminding me of the 'straight ladz' on Grindr who insist they're straight but are just 'curious'. You're not fully straight if you want sex with someone from the same gender. You're bisexual.
    Are you honestly saying you've never done something out of nothing more than curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Na he's gay, or bi or 'bicurious'. Especially if he enjoys it. Do you believe in 'gay for pay' ?
    No because sexuality refers to attraction not the act.People can have sex without being attracted to someone.Take prostitutes for an example.They probably have sex with people they are not attracted to purely for the money.In the same way a woman or a man can still do sexual things with the same gender and remain straight if there is no attraction there.Its all about how you feel and not what you do.

ReputationRep:
    No because sexuality refers to attraction not the act.People can have sex without being attracted to someone.Take prostitutes for an example.They probably have sex with people they are not attracted to purely for the money.In the same way a woman or a man can still do sexual things with the same gender and remain straight if there is no attraction there.Its all about how you feel and not what you do.
    I think that's all bs. If you're a man and you enjoy having sex with other men, you're not straight.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm bi and my friends and I use gay, fag, ********** ass bandit etc as a joke all the time. It's just a word at the end of the day.
    The bottom line is, often a lot of straight people are far too oversensitive, trying to put gays up on a pedestal and make sure they don't get hurt. We don't need that, not anymore at least

And as for it providing a bad enviroment to come out in, trust me if you're gay you know it, regardless of the people around you's opnions about it. Using it as an insult isn't going to stop people from being gay and with the internet all it takes is a quick search to find out your not the only one, and many people do accept it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.