Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyJosh)
    I already debunked most of your misconceptions earlier. The liberal oppression thing was a joke.

You come in with more assumptions. You didn't address the atheist I know who changed sexuality - this is not "experimentation" no matter how much you try and pretend it is.

Christianity is not "homophobic" either and there's no need for them to pretend to be straight if there weren't pretending before. You're the only one deceiving yourself - they're still not in contact with their parents either because of the way their parents treated them so nice flop.

Just because sexuality can be changed doesn't mean it can be changed at will for everyone or changed easily.

Nice try though.
    You debunked nothing.How is it not homophobic? Catholics teach that gay people are "intrinsically disordered".The church has been persecuting homosexuals for centuries.You're here trying to convince me that you can change sexuality because it would fit with your Christian view that homosexuality is wrong. That is called homophobia no matter how you try to dress it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoddoulc)
    You can't force people to accept homosexuality. What if I started to have sex with animals then ranted against people who disagreed with my sexuality? You can see where I'm coming from.

Homosexuality is not NORMAL, so society won't accept it as normal.

I hope you can understand.
    You're comparing homosexuality to bestiality. What on earth?!?!?! A truly idiotic and meaningless comparison!!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with homosexuality!! Bestiality is a form of psychosis. A homosexual relationship involves two consulting adults. If a person has sex with an animal, it's abuse plain and simple. The animal has no human rights. The only reason that people have a problem with homosexuality is because religion has persecuted it for so many years.

The Ancient Greeks practiced homosexuality and it was considered perfectly natural. Homosexuality is here to stay whether you accept it or not. The majority of the Western world view it as normal. It existed before religion, and it will continue to exist when religion eventually dies out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    You debunked nothing.How is it not homophobic? Catholics teach that gay people are "intrinsically disordered".The church has been persecuting homosexuals for centuries.You're here trying to convince me that you can change sexuality because it would fit with your Christian view that homosexuality is wrong. That is called homophobia no matter how you try to dress it up.
    I feel sorry for you.

Catholics are not real Christians and are irrelevant to me.

Just because "The Church" has done something in the past doesn't mean it's Christianity.

Many atheists have been homophobic/persecuting homosexuals for centuries - it doesn't mean atheism is homophobic.

All your arguments have failed. I'm not even trying to convince, I'm just saying plain facts that I know 3 people that have changed sexuality - you can't argue with it so move on.

Also, whether or whether not your sexuality can be changed, it doesn't "fit in" with the Christian view that homosexual behaviour is wrong. Homosexual behaviour is sinful.

Declaring stealing as a sin doesn't make you kleptomaniac-phobic. But continually bringing down Christianity, insulting it, disliking it and being prejudiced towards it is Christianophobia.

Likewise, declaring homosexual behaviour as a sin doesn't make you homophobic unless you want to pretend that if you are opposed to homosexual behaviour, you are homophobic when in that case, you have a phobia of anything you oppose. You're also homophobic for not having anal sex with a man as well.

Overusing the term "homophobic" as a distraction isn't actually a valid argument and really just makes me feel even more sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    It's banter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyJosh)
    I feel sorry for you.

Catholics are not real Christians and are irrelevant to me.

Just because "The Church" has done something in the past doesn't mean it's Christianity.

Many atheists have been homophobic/persecuting homosexuals for centuries - it doesn't mean atheism is homophobic.

All your arguments have failed. I'm not even trying to convince, I'm just saying plain facts that I know 3 people that have changed sexuality - you can't argue with it so move on.

Also, whether or whether not your sexuality can be changed, it doesn't "fit in" with the Christian view that homosexual behaviour is wrong. Homosexual behaviour is sinful.

Declaring stealing as a sin doesn't make you kleptomaniac-phobic. But continually bringing down Christianity, insulting it, disliking it and being prejudiced towards it is Christianophobia.

Likewise, declaring homosexual behaviour as a sin doesn't make you homophobic unless you want to pretend that if you are opposed to homosexual behaviour, you are homophobic when in that case, you have a phobia of anything you oppose. You're also homophobic for not having anal sex with a man as well.

Overusing the term "homophobic" as a distraction isn't actually a valid argument and really just makes me feel even more sorry for you.

You feel sorry for me? At least I don't have to rely on imaginary beings and fairy tales to get through life.At least I'm not a thrall to religious dogma.If anyone should be feeling sorry for anyone,it's me.Oh right now I remember you the guy who thinks that Catholics are not Christians.Even though they invented the thing.Even though they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.That's. the definition of a Christian.Christians and the religious persecute homosexuals because their idealogy tells them to,atheists don't.Before you bring up Hitler he was a Catholic by the way.And as for Stalin and communist regimes it's not really atheism.Its more like replacing God with a dictator.Like modern day North Korea,Kim Jong un is pretty much seen as a God.

The difference between Christianophobia as as you call it and homophobia is that you choose your religion,you do not choose to be gay.And being gay is not harmful or bad whereas there are many things bad about religion.Its perfectly valid to dislike Christianity and by extension other religions because it's just a set of ideas like any other.There is nothing special about religious beliefs.Homophobia though is when you are actually hating on a person for a characteristic they cannot change.See the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    You feel sorry for me? At least I don't have to rely on imaginary beings and fairy tales to get through life.At least I'm not a thrall to religious dogma.If anyone should be feeling sorry for anyone,it's me.Oh right now I remember you the guy who thinks that Catholics are not Christians.Even though they invented the thing.Even though they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.That's. the definition of a Christian.Christians and the religious persecute homosexuals because their idealogy tells them to,atheists don't.Before you bring up Hitler he was a Catholic by the way.And as for Stalin and communist regimes it's not really atheism.Its more like replacing God with a dictator.Like modern day North Korea,Kim Jong un is pretty much seen as a God.

The difference between Christianophobia as as you call it and homophobia is that you choose your religion,you do not choose to be gay.And being gay is not harmful or bad whereas there are many things bad about religion.Its perfectly valid to dislike Christianity and by extension other religions because it's just a set of ideas like any other.There is nothing special about religious beliefs.Homophobia though is when you are actually hating on a person for a characteristic they cannot change.See the difference?
    That's good you "don't have to rely on imaginary beings and fairy tales to get through life" because neither do I. I'm not "a thrall to religious dogma" either. And you can feel sorry for yourself if you wish.

Catholics didn't invent Christianity. You're a funny guy though. Jesus invented Christianity and the church was birthed at Pentecost - it's literally recorded in Acts 2 lmao.

That isn't the definition of a Christian but Catholics wouldn't fit it anyway because they don't follow the teaching of Jesus, they pick and choose and just follow the Pope.

Also, following Jesus' teachings doesn't make you a Christian.

A true Christian is a person who has put faith and trust in the person and work of Jesus Christ, including His death on the cross as payment for sins and His resurrection on the third day. The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4, 10). A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Jesus Christ.

Ah Godwin's Law holds true. You really do not do your research. Communism is atheistic - it doesn't replace God, it removes him. Hitler was no Catholic, he was an occultist and he was at constant odds with the Pope. Kim Jong Un is a dictator with a cult of personality - that isn't to do with communism and Hitler did the exact same thing yet you ignore that and pretend he was actually a Catholic.

And yet I know people and celebrities that have proclaimed "they have chosen to be gay". A celebrity said it herself and got death threats and hate mail from LGBTQ+ people telling her to retract her statement so she did.

There's nothing bad about a relationship with the Christian God actually. You then talk about homophobia and how it is hating on gay people even though Christianity does not hate on gay people. However, many atheists do. Christians condemn homosexual behaviour and that is perfectly changeable so what are you talking about?

You're just trying to deflect genuine criticism of an immoral and unhealthy practice.

I guess you condone Islamophobia as well but sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow2009)
    "I don't have a problem with gay people as long as they don't rub it in my face"

aka "Straight couples are allowed to be featured prominently on TV shows, movies, advertisements, music videos, books and be the face of many relationship based products like Mr and Mrs/Husband and Wife type items but if a gay couple dared to kiss in public - even if they're 20 feet away from me - they're rubbing it in my face."

"That's so gay"/"******"/"Bender"/"Tag a mate who secretly is gay" type lad banter

aka "I have no idea how severe an impact I can have on people with such a simple choice of words. Out of all the hundreds of insults I can use to have banter and take the piss, I must insist on repeatedly using gay themed insults because they're the most powerful and no straight guy can accept that insult without getting worked up and angry, as if being gay is the worst thing in the world."

Those are the two most common ones and the one that piss me off the most. You think they'll ever die out or fade away in society? Are there any other examples? It seems that while the actual act of physical violence and legal rights towards the LGBT community have DEFINITELY improved, there's still the casual comments and views from society that definitely indicate that we still have a longgggggg way to go.

The first one is most importantly a stupid statement, what does 'rub it in your face' mean in that context? They kiss right up against your nose? I won't give more graphic examples but you surely see my point.

The point being made is they consider it 'weird' which statistically speaking it is being outside of the 'norm' (as in most members of most species are heterosexual before some weirdo bombards me with accusations of homophobia) and therefore feel mildly uncomfortable seeing something odd. The same as a straight person may like breasts, but seeing breast feeding is entirely different and triggers different reactions. I think both situations are similar. You have every right to do such an activity but if you are brazenly doing it as obviously as possible 'in people's faces' so to speak, or to make a point, then you are essentially antagonising people. I personally see absolutely no reason couples (straight or otherwise) can't control themselves for ten minutes until they reach a less public place, or have a quick kiss - there is this obsession with sitting on the middle of a bus sucking someone else's face with a sound not dissimilar to that of a washing machine and expecting people to be ok with it. It's entitled. Same with breast feeding, you can't help when the baby is hungry but that doesn't mean you have to make a massive display of publicly whipping out your breasts and glaring at anyone who dares look in your topless direction. Rights come with responsibilities to those around you. As for gay kissing, exactly the same. Consider people around you. They don't want to see/hear that and it's not because you're gay its because its disgusting to watch and hear two (tongued) black holes invading each others universes with the sound of a giant plunger going to work whatever the gender.

As for the 'it's not normalised' thing (a) straight couples feature predominantly because they're predominant in society, the same way one armed people aren't often in films - is that 'discrimination' too? It's a ridiculous argument, (b) they're on such items to appeal to the majority audience who fit the majority trend, same as girls magazines have girly stuff on and boys magazines have cars, its marketing to audience, (c) There are plenty of gay people in media and people only care when its arbitrary and stupid and doesn't contribute to their character aka is blatantly just there to be there, one of my favourite shows of all time is Wentworth an Australian (I think) drama about a prison and its (unsurprisingly) full of lesbian characters. Because they're all well developed I don't mind. It's just as bad storytelling as when the nerd pulls off a 1000m sniper shot or the dumbass defuses a bomb via intuition to have a character arbitrarily have an atypical sexuality because there's no reason for it, it hasn't been introduced and its blatantly just there for the sake of being there. Take Lloris Tyrell from GoT, an excellent character who is gay, as an example of doing it properly.

Gay is an insult because its an abdication of identity. It's the same as calling someone a girl or a supporter of a different football team (you want to see someone get seriously angry, don't call them gay, **** off their football team - you're about 500x more likely to get punched for that) - they're not that thing and know you're saying it to annoy them which means often people bite and get angry. It's not 'OMG I can't be homo that's the worstest, if I don't hit person people thinks me gay' that's ridiculous. Some people are bigoted against 'gay' because its different and difference is a big part of human survivalism which unfortunately often gets channeled into weird things like people who like/hate a film, sexuality, the type of clothes people wear etc. It's the consequence of globalising a tribal species. This sort of bigotry is in the vast minority however.

If people are offended by that they need to grow up. I was a chubby kid, being called 'fatass' or hearing 'fatass' never upset me once, I was aware I was chubby. That was just a fact to me. When I got thinner I didn't then feel like other people were being offended (hell, I used the term fatass when I was a fatass) by the use nor did I feel it was harmful. I was like eight. If people can't get over words in their teens/as an adult then oh dear. Also the corollary is language policing, people can't say things because you (or someone) is or may be offended by them - that is social control beyond an acceptable level.

As for banter, yeah pretty much. It's not ill intentioned. I know gay people who use the term gay in that way so clearly it's not inherently offensive. It's a separation of meaning. Calling something 'gay' is not hatred of gay people, there's a separation. You're not literally imputing sexuality and making this the reason to hate the thing so it's obvious they're not the same usage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.