Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which pre-Uni course to undertake? (Of BTEC, Access and Cambridge Pre-U) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello Interwebs!
    I wish to take a BSc in Psychology. I completed A Levels in 2011 but as they are dated I would need to take an additional, 1 year-length course.

This is lifted from Entry Req. section of KCL's website for Psychology; https://gyazo.com/e0f8dfaa534c9e7c6c76f673c448d9f4

Spoiler:
    Show

Access to HE Diploma
    Access to Science (or similar) with 45 Level 3 credits: 36 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with the remaining Level 3 credits at Merit. Level 3 study must include study of at least one of the following subejcts: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. Additionally, minimum grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics (or equivalent)
    Cambridge Pre-U
    Three Pre-U Principal subjects at D3 D3 D3 including at least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. Additionally, minimum grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics. Combinations of Pre-U principal subjects and other qualifications (such as A-levels) considered
    BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF from 2010)
    DDM with eleven Distinctions and two A-levels at grades AA, including grade A at A-level in at least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. Additionally, minimum grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
    BTEC Level 3 Diploma (QCF from 2010)
    DM with six Distinctions and two A-levels at grades AA, including grade A at A-level in at least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. Additionally, minimum grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.
    BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma (QCF from 2010)
    D with four modules at Distinction and two A-levels at grades AA, including grade A at A-level in at least one of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or Psychology. Additionally, minimum grade B in GCSE English Language and Mathematics.

The respective course websites provide info but it's mostly jargon to me. I can't relate it back to the A Level. I have no friends who undertook non-A Level pre-uni study.

What reputation do each of those courses have comparatively? Which course do universities regard as most prestigious? Which course do, let's say, students of higher caliber undertake? What personal exp. can you share about a course and can you please list what degree you now study at uni? Which courses tend to be best taught (high quality of teaching and resources), producing most successful applicants, at their colleges?

I only wish to devote one year, the duration which a full Access course for e.g. covers. Does BTEC duration vary from subject to subject? I scarcely think the application department at universities could help me answer these questions?

Thank you in advance. Research online is proving to be unfruitful so far
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I answered your question here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...50&postcount=2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.