Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I work for an estate agent doing approximately 55 to 60 hours a week ( I work 6 days) . I am a university graduate and have had many jobs in the past like working for NGOS and in retail.

I joined the firm in July 2016. It is now January 2017.

My issue is, I get paid £500 every month in basic salary. And around £150 in commissions.

I welcome the money but the hours are killing me and they are compulsory. The employers reason for this pay is I am not a permanent member of staff, so they do not know how long I will be working at their company. Which is true- I made it clear I wanted to work in finance/banking and would actively be looking for a job.

I just graduated under a year ago, in History. This job is ok.

My issue is we have apprentices at my workplace (who joined well after me) who make £800 in basic salary and £150 in commissions.

Additionally, there a girl working at the firm who joined a month after I did. She studied law. And was paid £800 for her month at the estate agent and then £1200 a month thereafter ever since, with 2 days off every week (I get only 1 day off) . My employers reason for this is she is a law graduate and some rubbish about her doing important paperwork/legal stuff? She made 1 sale in August. She regularly takes sick days off because she still will make more money than me even if her pay is cut for these sick days. She is the same race as the employer, and I am not.

I do not really know what to do. If I quit, I lose this £500 coming in every month which I desperately need. If I stay, I have no prospect of a better future I believe. I have applied to over 100 jobs this past 12 months, and have had a few responses, none positive.

For those of you thinking I should go to the authorities, this is not possible. The company threatened to take me to court because of they way I had said it to them ( I basically said I am a slave who does not deserve minimum wage, they got angry I spoke to them like that and threatened a legal battle) . They also have influence over my parents and their property matters. It would be bad for my family if this went to court. Believe me I have tried to think of a way out.

My manager and the director routinely say they want me in this company for the long run- they want to know me forever. It seems sort of odd that I get told I am an amazing employee ( I do a lot of sales and lettings) and that I deserve to be looked after and rewarded. But then when my pay comes in, I feel I am being exploited.
    First I was happy to have a job…then hurt when I heard they paid somebody with less experience or skills than me was being paid over double what I was…then I was angry at being completely broke all the time….now I am depressed because I am trapped and have tried every single way out. And there is none.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Well until you find another job there isn't much point you leaving this as you will lose the 500 a month you get. Clearly you have tried talking to them and it hasn't gone well. Just keep looking for jobs and maybe try finding another temporary job as well at another estate agent till you get the job you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amina190)
    Well until you find another job there isn't much point you leaving this as you will lose the 500 a month you get. Clearly you have tried talking to them and it hasn't gone well. Just keep looking for jobs and maybe try finding another temporary job as well at another estate agent till you get the job you want.

I don't want to ever work at an estate agent again.

I barely get time to apply for jobs. I finish work at 7, get home by 7:15/7:30. Put my clothes away and freshen up and eat something. By 8:15- 8:30pm I am finally free.

It would be better to loose £500 than loose the opportunity to get better employment. But I am close to getting the job I want it will take maybe another year to finalize everything...now I need to ditch this employer permanently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepmeunknown)
    I don't want to ever work at an estate agent again.

I barely get time to apply for jobs. I finish work at 7, get home by 7:15/7:30. Put my clothes away and freshen up and eat something. By 8:15- 8:30pm I am finally free.

It would be better to loose £500 than loose the opportunity to get better employment. But I am close to getting the job I want it will take maybe another year to finalize everything...now I need to ditch this employer permanently.
    Aww that sounds quite hard but hopefully the job you want you get! Yeah just leave his employment and find something better😊!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.