Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

1) I am starting university in September 2017 hopefully so when do I apply for a student loan and what are the deadlines? If, for example, I'll apply after 1st of June, won't it be too late? On the link in the top passage it says that you can't apply for 2017/2018 yet.

2) Is there any competitive basis for applicants, or every applicant will get loan?

3) am I eligible for the loan if I'm a citizen of Lithuania, member of EU, I was born in Lithuania, but for the last six years I study in Russia and I don't have Russian citizenship? My home address in Lithuania, my parents live in Lithuania too.

4) if I have two offers, can I apply for the loan only for one chosen university, or both of them? I have one conditional offer, but I'm not sure that I'll finish with required overall grade. What will be if I'll get loan, but I won't get unconditional offer?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

Thank you for your help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for student finance up to 9 months after you start your course. But if you apply in June, you may not get your tuition fees on time.

You only make one application. You put down the uni you want to go to. If you end up elsewhere, this can be changed at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    Am I eligible to get loan for tuition fees?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

EU students studying in England, Wales and Northern Ireland who do not have the relevant years residency (5 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course) within the United Kingdom will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, to apply they must:
    • Be an EU National
    • Be a family member of an EU National, a family member is defined as the spouse, civil partner, parent, step-parent, adoptive parent, child, step-child, grandparent*
    • Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three or more years before the start of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK)
    • Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of their course
    • Be attending a course which attracts funding

The applications are expected to be available in Feb / Mar and the deadline is usually around the end of May, however the deadline is to guarantee funding is in place for the start of your course. You can apply up to 9 months after the first day of your course.

The previous poster is correct in stating that if you are eligible you will receive funding regardless of the amount of students applying. Also you can change the course details if this changes after you have applied.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elizabeth SFE)
    • Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three or more years before the start of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK.

It means that I had to live from 31/8/2014 to 31/8/2017 before the start of the course, or as for me, I lived in Lithuania from 1992 to 2011 continuously (except for normal holidays)?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi MonroeX

We can consider temporary breaks in residence too. If you normally live in the EU and can show you did not permanently move, it was only temporary to study, we can look to see if we can award funding.

You would need to send original documents stating it was temporary such as a school letter or anything that you feel may show this. They are looked into on a case by case basis so we will consider your individual circumstances.

You can apply as soon as the applications are live, we don't have a date yet.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.