Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Apprenticeships good???????????????? Watch

Hi guys,

I've been going through a really tough time right now.
    I was at University last year but got released due to not getting good grades, and wasnt happy. I ended up doing a Warehouse night shift job for a couple of months because I needed some money. It was ok but quite stressful. I ended up getting released.

I have been looking for a new job for over a month, and have had no luck whatsoever. Nearly all of the jobs require experience. The high pay jobs such as administrator, office jobs, etc, etc, etc require experience.

I have been thinking about doing an apprenticeship. Would you recommend it?
    The only thing that I dont like about apprenticeships is that most only pay around £130 per week. I wouldn't mind doing it for 12 months if it leads to a better job.

I also do not know which area to work in. Office or administrator jobs are high paying but I've heard that they are stressful jobs? Are they worth doing? I wouldnt mind doing them, but if there is anything out there that is physical, fun and high paying, can you please recommend me a apprenticeship?

Please Please Please give me some advice. Your help is very appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You really have to do some soul searching and work out what's best for you and what you class as high paying. Well paid jobs and climbing the career ladder do need experience and in some cases qualifications so you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up. An apprenticeship is a great way to gain experience and make some money so go for it. If you want to do something admin related there may be short vocational courses you can do to help.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who are currently doing apprenticeships and during their first year they earn over £200 a week. Another person earns around £100. The problem is you are being trained up to do a job for a company. Often the job isn't high profile or as 'good' as you thought it would be unless it is at a top company that would train you well.

A apprenticeship is basically a cheat in the system in my opinion, cheaper labour work where they don't have to employ somebody who is already demanding a high wage to do the role.

As for what apprenticeships I know about, engineering is very common but that is basically just general factory work with a nice job title. I have another friend who works in pharmacy as a 'technician' but he is basically just a counter operator serving people. You don't want to go into something that is basically a lie so look for the best.

I'd suggest looking at big companies, even something like banking maybe? I'm not so sure. Hope this helps.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeships are good, find out colleges in your local area that do IT or software development, these jobs pay very well. With an IT apprenticeship you can go into IT support, data analysis, networking etc.

My cousin is doing a software development apprenticeship and he's enjoying this and I wish I did this when I was 17 so my career would be established. I've heard of another guy who did an IT apprenticeship and is now earning £30k.

Like I did, you can learn programming, develop 7-8 high quality software, websites, apps, learn more stuff related to programming (SQL, noSQL, JavaScript, Angular, Node, TDD, OPP, Linux, Git) and apply for web developer, software development, programming jobs.

Also you could study a degree you like at the Open University.

Good luck

Bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.