Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've applied to my universities, for those of you that do the IB, I have a predicted IB score of 44 points.

My university applications so far are:
    Cambridge (rejected)
    Southampton (conditional, 38 points)
    Bath (conditional, 36 points)
    Glasgow(conditional, second year entry, 40 points)
    Strathclyde (unconfirmed)

My issue is that my dad is 'forcing' me to go to Glasgow, because my granddad and uncle have strong ties with the university after donating "lots of money" to them. He says that I should respect my family and the amount of time, money and effort that has gone into helping my application at Glasgow. But the thing is:

-I never asked for his help
    -After living in cities my entire life, I would like to attend a campus university like bath
    -I do not wish to study 5 years for a Master's degree when I could do it in 4 years
    -Glasgow just doesn't rank as high as a uni like bath ever (i would like to go to a university with some sort of name for itself)

He says sometimes I just don't get a choice, and this is one of those times. I have been working really hard for the past year and a half to get a shot at getting into Cambridge, he says that he gave me one chance to get into an english university and I've failed. It just feels wrong to throw it all away now and attend a mediocre university that I don't want to attend.

Any suggestions on how to move forward? Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by amann2017)
    So I've applied to my universities, for those of you that do the IB, I have a predicted IB score of 44 points.

Cambridge (rejected)

My issue is that my dad is 'forcing' me to go to Glasgow, because my granddad and uncle have strong ties with the university after donating "lots of money" to them. He says that I should respect my family and the amount of time, money and effort that has gone into helping my application at Glasgow. But the thing is:

-After living in cities my entire life, I would like to attend a campus university like bath
    -I do not wish to study 5 years for a Master's degree when I could do it in 4 years
    -Glasgow just doesn't rank as high as a uni like bath ever (i would like to go to a university with some sort of name for itself)

He says sometimes I just don't get a choice, and this is one of those times. I have been working really hard for the past year and a half to get a shot at getting into Cambridge, he says that he gave me one chance to get into an english university and I've failed. It just feels wrong to throw it all away now and attend a mediocre university that I don't want to attend.

What subject is this for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Cambridge (rejected)

I'm really sorry you have to deal with pressure from a parent like this. Which uni you attend should be your choice, as it directly influences YOUR future, not theirs.

My suggestion, as someone who has also had this fight with their parents in the past, would be to go to the uni you want to attend. Do not let your parent's opinions influence your decision. I am from the USA, and I was offered a full-ride scholarship (free uni) to a school in my hometown because my stepfather knew people and was able to get my name on the list. Not only did this feel a bit unfair to me, but I also hated the university. Though both my mom and stepdad pressured me to accept the offer, I decided to attend another uni. I'm now applying to study in the UK (highly considering firming Southampton!) after getting the proper US qualifications.

My parents didn't agree with my choice to apply in the UK at first, but after providing them with more facts and information, they have gotten on board with the idea. My suggestion to you would be to gather some statistics on all of the universities, such as league table rankings, student satisfaction, etc. Career connections and prospects would also be a good place to start. Use these to argue your case to your father and show why you believe a different university would provide you with a better experience.

Again, I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully your father will come around.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the horrid situation, since when is Glasgow a mediocre university?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is a great university, not mediocre.

That said, my dad tried to make me attend Edinburgh, when I wanted to go to Durham/St Andrews. At the end of the day, it's you who confirms the university. We argued for literally months before I just accepted my offer at St Andrews and put Edinburgh as my insurance, and he came round, eventually, because it's your choice.

You could put Glasgow firm, Bath insurance, and then screw up one of the IB components, miss the Glasgow offer and attend Bath? I did the IB and know how easily 44 could slip to 38.

Otherwise, Glasgow is a great place to be. Glasgow uni is in a beautiful area, has tonnes of history, has a good nightlife and is super, super affordable. Have you visited?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    You could put Glasgow firm, Bath insurance, and then screw up one of the IB components, miss the Glasgow offer and attend Bath?
    Don't do this.

The rest I agree with

OP, amann2017, have you visited all your choices?

Rankings are not important, and change all the time anyway. Glasgow is an excellent university, and so is Bath. Pick the course you most prefer at a university you want to spend 4 years at.

Ignore the family "connection" with Glasgow, and equally don't let it cloud your decision.

BTW if you are going into Y2 at Glasgow it will also be a 4 year course. However an extra year of work experience should not be ignored if it's available.

Just to add: are you resident in Scotland? If so the low fees can justifiably be a factor in *your* thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to get ****ed, stupid people these days.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your dad to take a hike.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow's a good university.

Are you Scottish (I notice that you have as well applied to Strathclyde)? If, yes, could it be that your dad would prefer that you didn't incur the debt of studying in England when you can be fee free in Scotland...

That second point is a punt. That Glasgow is entirely respectable is a fact.

ReputationRep:

Cambridge (rejected)

Before I start, are you of Asian origin by any chance? Don't worry dude, I'm the same.

Your best option is to get in contact with social services, because your situation is quite concerning...

Yours Faithfully,
    Maccarthy

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to do a pop shove it and 360 out of there.

ReputationRep:
    Since when was it his decision, you are or will be 18 and could do whatever the **** you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    What subject is this for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    mechanical engineering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toridor324_)
    I'm really sorry you have to deal with pressure from a parent like this. Which uni you attend should be your choice, as it directly influences YOUR future, not theirs.

My suggestion, as someone who has also had this fight with their parents in the past, would be to go to the uni you want to attend. Do not let your parent's opinions influence your decision. I am from the USA, and I was offered a full-ride scholarship (free uni) to a school in my hometown because my stepfather knew people and was able to get my name on the list. Not only did this feel a bit unfair to me, but I also hated the university. Though both my mom and stepdad pressured me to accept the offer, I decided to attend another uni. I'm now applying to study in the UK (highly considering firming Southampton!) after getting the proper US qualifications.

My parents didn't agree with my choice to apply in the UK at first, but after providing them with more facts and information, they have gotten on board with the idea. My suggestion to you would be to gather some statistics on all of the universities, such as league table rankings, student satisfaction, etc. Career connections and prospects would also be a good place to start. Use these to argue your case to your father and show why you believe a different university would provide you with a better experience.

Again, I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully your father will come around.
    thanks for the advice! he also doesn't like to listen to what i say, but I'll try my best to poke these facts in overtime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Glasgow is a great university, not mediocre.

That said, my dad tried to make me attend Edinburgh, when I wanted to go to Durham/St Andrews. At the end of the day, it's you who confirms the university. We argued for literally months before I just accepted my offer at St Andrews and put Edinburgh as my insurance, and he came round, eventually, because it's your choice.

You could put Glasgow firm, Bath insurance, and then screw up one of the IB components, miss the Glasgow offer and attend Bath? I did the IB and know how easily 44 could slip to 38.

Otherwise, Glasgow is a great place to be. Glasgow uni is in a beautiful area, has tonnes of history, has a good nightlife and is super, super affordable. Have you visited?
    I've visited, but it just isn't my style. Don't really wanna live in a big city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Don't do this.

The rest I agree with

OP, amann2017, have you visited all your choices?

Rankings are not important, and change all the time anyway. Glasgow is an excellent university, and so is Bath. Pick the course you most prefer at a university you want to spend 4 years at.

Ignore the family "connection" with Glasgow, and equally don't let it cloud your decision.

BTW if you are going into Y2 at Glasgow it will also be a 4 year course. However an extra year of work experience should not be ignored if it's available.

Just to add: are you resident in Scotland? If so the low fees can justifiably be a factor in *your* thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply. Bath has been quite consistently in the top 10 for engineering for rankings though, but I don't think glasgow has entered the top 10. To me that is some kind of indicator.

I understand it will be a 4 year course, its why I applied for second year entry at first. But now I realise that since I am already 1 year younger than most people in my year, that would make me two years younger than people in my year once I am at uni. Not sure how that will affect my social life.

Also my dad is Scottish, but I've lived overseas my entire life, so there is no discount. Its just patriotism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maccarthyblock)
    Before I start, are you of Asian origin by any chance? Don't worry dude, I'm the same.

Your best option is to get in contact with social services, because your situation is quite concerning...

Yours Faithfully,
    Maccarthy
    Yeah my mum is asian, but my dad is scottish. My dad will be paying for uni so I don't know if it is worth getting in contact with social services for

ReputationRep:
    lol, you got an ib predicted grade of 44 points, this alone could give you offer from glasgow, I don't see much help that the money gave.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.