Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any other USA Applicants? :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Hahaha I am excited about uni as well but I still have to take final exams :/ Yay same here, confined to my house quite a lot. Already thinking about decorating your room xD my room at homes is tbh pretty bare so I don't really have anything to put on the walls, although at uni I'll definitely print out a couple of posters and stuff to personalise the dorm a bit

I thought there were some unis that already provide the tv :/ if not yeah buying a new TV and adapters would be hella expensive... Thinking about getting the new Nintendo Switch when it comes out tho it looks pretty sick!
    Good luck on your exams!

As for my room at home, I have a plethora of posters and decorations. I'm a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan, so I own four limited edition posters that are all on my walls right now. Sadly, I've decided to sell them, as otherwise they would just be left to sit in a closet for 3+ years! Plus, I could really use the money!

I think there are some that do provide a TV, but unfortunately, Southampton (more than likely my first choice) does not. Between when I originally posted this and now, I've realized it'll probably be cheaper to just buy the travel converters for anything I can (laptop, phone, etc- all have the voltage requirements) and get new adapters only for the things that don't. I can't really get out of the whole TV thing, but hopefully, I'll be able to snag one for a decent price, or get one used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EMT23)
    Hey Tori!,
    I'm currently doing my undergrad at UF and will be applying to med schools in the UK next cycle. It's nice to see I'm not the only one who wants to make the jump!
    UF is a great school! I actually have a few friends that are going there, as it's one of the closest major universities to where I'm at. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one from Florida who's interested in studying in the UK. Best of luck to you with your current degree and your med school application!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by toridor324_)
    Good luck on your exams!

As for my room at home, I have a plethora of posters and decorations. I'm a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan, so I own four limited edition posters that are all on my walls right now. Sadly, I've decided to sell them, as otherwise they would just be left to sit in a closet for 3+ years! Plus, I could really use the money!

I think there are some that do provide a TV, but unfortunately, Southampton (more than likely my first choice) does not. Between when I originally posted this and now, I've realized it'll probably be cheaper to just buy the travel converters for anything I can (laptop, phone, etc- all have the voltage requirements) and get new adapters only for the things that don't. I can't really get out of the whole TV thing, but hopefully, I'll be able to snag one for a decent price, or get one used.
    Thank you

That's cool! Oh :/ are you selling them on ebay or something I guess the money is more important atm.

Aww that sucks :/ hahaha you've really been thinking about this a lot maybe try to get a tv on sale or a "Black Friday" (Know Black Friday is over) Sale (or Cyber Tuesday for that matter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

That's cool! Oh :/ are you selling them on ebay or something I guess the money is more important atm.

Aww that sucks :/ hahaha you've really been thinking about this a lot maybe try to get a tv on sale or a "Black Friday" (Know Black Friday is over) Sale (or Cyber Tuesday for that matter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I am I've actually been selling quite a bit of stuff. I've been interested in getting rid of a bit of my clutter anyways, and since I'm planning to move with limited suitcase space, I think now is as good a time as any!

I was hoping to look around before I start uni, or even over the summer. If I found any good deals, I could always have it shipped to my boyfriend's house (or have him go get it for that matter). Having someone who lives in the UK already makes things just a bit easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    HI! My name is Tori and I'm from Daytona Beach, FL, USA! I am applying to study BSc Maths and/with Statistics in the UK, starting this fall!

I have applied to Southampton, Kent, Newcastle, Queen Mary, and Sheffield. So far, I have gotten one unconditional offer from Southampton and two conditional offers from Kent and Newcastle. I am still waiting to hear back from Queen Mary. Unfortunately, Sheffield did not offer me a place

I am currently strongly leaning towards Southampton, with Kent as a close second.

If you are from the USA and are also applying to study in the UK, I would love to chat with you
    I'm sorry, I just can't get over the fact you chose to study in the UK when you come from Florida! :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    I'm sorry, I just can't get over the fact you chose to study in the UK when you come from Florida! :bawling:
    Florida is nice to visit, but, in my opinion, the appeal gets old fast when you've lived there since you were 4! Plus I hate the beach, and prefer cold weather over the heat anyday!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Yes, I am I've actually been selling quite a bit of stuff. I've been interested in getting rid of a bit of my clutter anyways, and since I'm planning to move with limited suitcase space, I think now is as good a time as any!

I was hoping to look around before I start uni, or even over the summer. If I found any good deals, I could always have it shipped to my boyfriend's house (or have him go get it for that matter). Having someone who lives in the UK already makes things just a bit easier for me.
    Definitely! I probably need to get rid of a bunch of clutter as well before uni. Yeah having somebody already in the UK definitely makes things a lot easier, especially in terms of packing and sending goods.

ReputationRep:
    HI! My name is Tori and I'm from Daytona Beach, FL, USA! I am applying to study BSc Maths and/with Statistics in the UK, starting this fall!

I have applied to Southampton, Kent, Newcastle, Queen Mary, and Sheffield. So far, I have gotten one unconditional offer from Southampton and two conditional offers from Kent and Newcastle. I am still waiting to hear back from Queen Mary. Unfortunately, Sheffield did not offer me a place

I am currently strongly leaning towards Southampton, with Kent as a close second.

If you are from the USA and are also applying to study in the UK, I would love to chat with you
    Not American but tagging an American applicant to the UK in here in, if she wants to chat rissanicole14

I am an international applicant who is familiar with the American system but I am not American. What APs did you take? and SAT 2s if you took any? I took SAT 2 Biology and US History.

Congratulations on your offers Unfortunately, the only thing that I know about Daytona Beach, Florida is NASCAR nothing else really. When you say a "local uni" that has a reputable maths program, I assume it's UCF or University of Florida? cuz FSU and UMiami are a bit too far and New College Florida is not that great for maths? I may be wrong though :/ didn't really research unis in Florida :rofl: Out of state/International tuition in the US is too expensive :/ in state tuition is too expensive as well imo which is why I chose not to apply to the US.

Glad to see more Americans on here
    Hey Tori! Sorry, I haven't been on TSR for a while awesome to see other yanks that also see the benefits of a UK degree! And for similar reasons, like money/depth of study/getting out of a state that people think are great but you're sick of it (I'm a Cali girl )

Did you graduate high school, do two years of cc and then decide to transfer to a UK uni? Or do some kind of concurrent enrollment thing? I didn't get into my dream uni in the UK the first time around so I'm thinking of taking a similar approach.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by rissanicole14)
    Hey Tori! Sorry, I haven't been on TSR for a while awesome to see other yanks that also see the benefits of a UK degree! And for similar reasons, like money/depth of study/getting out of a state that people think are great but you're sick of it (I'm a Cali girl )

Did you graduate high school, do two years of cc and then decide to transfer to a UK uni? Or do some kind of concurrent enrollment thing? I didn't get into my dream uni in the UK the first time around so I'm thinking of taking a similar approach.
    Glad to see you are still around :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see you are still around :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww thank you! :hugs: you too, but I can't say I'm surprised :teehee:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Aww thank you! :hugs: you too, but I can't say I'm surprised :teehee:
    :hugs: well I am a predictable person :rofl: (and I do enjoy answering people's questions and stuff)

Spoiler:
    Show
    will reply to your pm in detail a bit later :/ have a maths test in about 15 minutes. :ashamed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: well I am a predictable person :rofl: (and I do enjoy answering people's questions and stuff)

Spoiler:
    Show

will reply to your pm in detail a bit later :/ have a maths test in about 15 minutes. :ashamed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :lol: You truly are the best at it, TSR wouldn't be the same without you!

Spoiler:
    Show

Ahhh good luck! No worries

ReputationRep:
    Pretty worried I'm going to get rejected from the UK unis I applied to though because they asked me to send in my predicted grades by a certain day (which was about 5 days ago), and my counselor has been out on sick leave for a week

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! I probably need to get rid of a bunch of clutter as well before uni. Yeah having somebody already in the UK definitely makes things a lot easier, especially in terms of packing and sending goods.
    It's a perfect time as it's a new chapter in your life I'm trying to think of it as a way to start fresh. You can use the money you get from selling old things you don't particularly need/want any more to get things for your new accommodation!

It certainly makes things so much easier for me. I'm lucky in the fact that I'm going to be able to visit my top 3 uni choices this March so I can determine which is the best fit for me!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

:lol: You truly are the best at it, TSR wouldn't be the same without you!

Spoiler:
    Show

Ahhh good luck! No worries

Pretty worried I'm going to get rejected from the UK unis I applied to though because they asked me to send in my predicted grades by a certain day (which was about 5 days ago), and my counselor has been out on sick leave for a week
    Aww Thank you

I am sure that you'll be ok as long as your counselor explains what happened! Have faith *^O^*

It's a perfect time as it's a new chapter in your life I'm trying to think of it as a way to start fresh. You can use the money you get from selling old things you don't particularly need/want any more to get things for your new accommodation!

It certainly makes things so much easier for me. I'm lucky in the fact that I'm going to be able to visit my top 3 uni choices this March so I can determine which is the best fit for me!
    Definitely #NewChapterNewMe

Yep, visiting will definitely help a lot in terms of helping you make your choice. Remember to look at the courses as well to see which one is a better fit for you as well as the location of the universities!

ReputationRep:

Yes, it's so great to see someone else from the states who wants to study in the UK! I felt like I was the only one for a while there :/

I feel like a lot of people who aren't from states such as ours think it's paradise, and I guess it is when you're visiting and you can enjoy the weather and sights in an appropriate way. But when you have to work outside in 90 degree weather, it's not so fun! And don't get me started on the tourist traps!

Actually, I did a mix of both. I was dual enrolled at my high school and community college for my sophomore and junior year. I earned about 30 college credits this way, then finished the rest of my two-year (Associate's Degree) after I graduated from high school. I studied part time, so it actually ended up taking much longer than I had expected it to. I finally finished my Associate's Degree in the Spring of 2016, but continued to take math courses after I finished because I realized that I wanted to major in Mathematics. So, while I took some prerequisite classes over the summer, I researched universities I could go to in my area with a strong mathematics program. Unfortunately, the only one I could find was way out of my price range. As you probably know, out-of-state was even more expensive, so that was also not an option. I'm currently in a relationship with a guy who lives in the UK, so after discussing it with him, I decided to look into applying to uni over there. I finished my application in November of 2016. I got accepted to 4/5 schools I applied to (Southampton, Queen Mary, Kent, and Newcastle- I was denied from Sheffield as they felt I didn't have enough Calculus experience).

The only thing I can't stress enough if you plan to take the community college route is to take as many classes in the field you plan to study as possible! I had taken courses in psychology, computer science, and mathematics, because I wasn't 100% sure as to which route I wanted to take when I started. Though this wasn't as big of a problem as it could have been for me (comp sci and psychology both have math components), I still got denied from Sheffield and received (what I consider to be) a bad offer from Newcastle because of my lack of in-depth math experience. I managed to offset this a bit by taking Calculus I and Discrete Computational Analysis (both math based courses) this semester, and it helped me to get offers from Kent and Queen Mary (Southampton originally gave me a conditional for a 3.2 GPA for my Associate's Degree, but changed it to an unconditional after I submitted my transcripts).

My advice to you regarding the predicted grades would be to contact the uni's ASAP and advise them of your situation. Most of the time, they are willing to work with you. I had to ask Newcastle to push back the deadline for the receipt of my transcripts as they are taking way longer than expected to arrive. They were willing to give me until the summer, even though the original deadline was three weeks after receipt of my offer. Contact whoever you can regarding the situation, so they are at least aware of the reason behind the delay. I would also try to talk to someone at your school and see if another counselor would be able to step in and submit the predicted grades for you instead.

Are you working with an Across the Pond advisor for your application? If so, I would reach out to them as well and see if they could help you explain the situation to the uni's. If not, I would recommend you check them out! Even though you've already submitted your application, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help answer all your questions, help you communicate with the universities, and help with the visa application if you get an offer you want to accept! Here's a link to the website if you're not working with them already: http://www.studyacrossthepond.com/

ReputationRep:
    Definitely #NewChapterNewMe

Yep, visiting will definitely help a lot in terms of helping you make your choice. Remember to look at the courses as well to see which one is a better fit for you as well as the location of the universities!
    I plan to do just that, though I will admit that it's much easier to compare the courses online then the physical campuses and location! A photo can only show so much
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

I plan to do just that, though I will admit that it's much easier to compare the courses online then the physical campuses and location! A photo can only show so much
    That's definitely true which one's are you planning on visiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's definitely true which one's are you planning on visiting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Southampton, Queen Mary, and Kent
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Southampton, Queen Mary, and Kent
    Omg have fun that's exciting all very different places!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.