Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I will be graduating with Diploma in Advance Business Management in March 2017 after my last module.
    I am in the food industry. I intend to continue with a degree progression in management.
    I have two choices: online study and classroom environment. Which is better?
    For online : two majors management and psychology but, is psychology relevant, any appropriate modules I should consider, are they good prospects for career development in a "smart city".
    Appreciate any advice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you want to do. Psychology is interesting but is it relevant to the food industry in the roles that you want? In terms of study styles, again both have pros and cons so you need to weigh up what makes sense and works for you. Wrt modules again pick ones that interest you and are relevant to where you want to be career and job wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It really depends on what you want to do. Psychology is interesting but is it relevant to the food industry in the roles that you want? In terms of study styles, again both have pros and cons so you need to weigh up what makes sense and works for you. Wrt modules again pick ones that interest you and are relevant to where you want to be career and job wise.
    Hi Alleycat thanks for the advice. Only Adam Uni USA conducts online teaching 2 majors: Biz Management & Psychology while other Unis classroom type. I searched a few Derby, Kingston, Hertfordshire & Edinburgh Unis UK for degree in Biz Management, all offer similar modules for part timers through local institution. I can't decide which is the "better" uni, can you advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about which unis are better or worse. Pick courses or modules that are interestinv and relevant to where you want to be career wise.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology in the workplace can be important if you wish to progress into a management role. Knowing techniques to motivate staff is an important skill in management.

There are pros and cons to both and it will depend on your circumstances as to which will suit you better.

Online learning can enable you to carry on working whilst studying but after a long day at work you still have to study. It can take 6 years to do a degree part time. It's a little bit more isolated than classroom based in that you don't see the other students as much as classroom based. You have to be a little more motivated (there's not a timetable to say every Monday you have module x) You have to fit it around your commitments. You can work in you pyjamas if you wish, don't have to leave the house to go to a lecture.

Classroom based - you will be less likely to work full time (you might be able to do some part time work) but you usually complete within 3 years rather than 6. There's a timetable to follow but you also have to decide do you want to live at the uni or commute. You see your peers more regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Don't worry about which unis are better or worse. Pick courses or modules that are interestinv and relevant to where you want to be career wise.
    Thanks I will heed your advice. You are right, it's not the quality unis that matters, it's the modules and relevance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muserock)
    Psychology in the workplace can be important if you wish to progress into a management role. Knowing techniques to motivate staff is an important skill in management.

There are pros and cons to both and it will depend on your circumstances as to which will suit you better.

Online learning can enable you to carry on working whilst studying but after a long day at work you still have to study. It can take 6 years to do a degree part time. It's a little bit more isolated than classroom based in that you don't see the other students as much as classroom based. You have to be a little more motivated (there's not a timetable to say every Monday you have module x) You have to fit it around your commitments. You can work in you pyjamas if you wish, don't have to leave the house to go to a lecture.

Classroom based - you will be less likely to work full time (you might be able to do some part time work) but you usually complete within 3 years rather than 6. There's a timetable to follow but you also have to decide do you want to live at the uni or commute. You see your peers more regularly.
    Thank you for your comments and advice.
    FYI, I'm a mature student, doing part-time study. I'm considering Hertfordshire Uni above all others for degree progression. With an Advance Diploma in Business Management which I will acquire in March I will proceed to 3rd year final BA (Hons) degree, course duration 12 months. I will probably include psychology as 2nd major. Am I making the right decision in selecting Hertfordshire as my choice uni?
    I think classroom based is suitable, where I live commuting is not an issue, my work hours is flexible although I work full time in compliance.
    You have been very forthcoming with your comments which I value. Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muserock)
    He'll learn how to motivate doing Management - he doesn't need psychology for this. Albeit Psychology will dig a bit deeper and arguably suit HR professionals more than General Managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    He'll learn how to motivate doing Management - he doesn't need psychology for this. Albeit Psychology will dig a bit deeper and arguably suit HR professionals more than General Managers.
    Agree but what suits management? I don't want to make wrong choice and regret afterwards.
    Is Hertfordshire a good university for management course? I'm spoilt for choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah Hussein)
    Agree but what suits management? I don't want to make wrong choice and regret afterwards.
    Is Hertfordshire a good university for management course? I'm spoilt for choices!
    What do you mean 'what suits management?'... Also, Hertfordshire ranks pretty low for management studies but these rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt. Speak to students and lecturers - get to open days... Do a bit of first hand research and weigh up how much you think you'd enjoy the course overall. That'd be my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    What do you mean 'what suits management?'... Also, Hertfordshire ranks pretty low for management studies but these rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt. Speak to students and lecturers - get to open days... Do a bit of first hand research and weigh up how much you think you'd enjoy the course overall. That'd be my advice.
    Derby and Edinburgh or Kingston would be a good choice for management studies, don't you think so. If you are in my shoes and you have a choice which uni will you select considering you've done your research, attended open days, spoke to students and lecturers alike.

Of course, it's how much you like the course and the lecturer's style of teaching. Speak to students and lecturers of the unis? They may be prejudicial, and unless you have an open mind you will get a biased view of how high is the uni's ranking and how good is the teaching materials and methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamzah Hussein)
    Derby and Edinburgh or Kingston would be a good choice for management studies, don't you think so. If you are in my shoes and you have a choice which uni will you select considering you've done your research, attended open days, spoke to students and lecturers alike.

Of course, it's how much you like the course and the lecturer's style of teaching. Speak to students and lecturers of the unis? They may be prejudicial, and unless you have an open mind you will get a biased view of how high is the uni's ranking and how good is the teaching materials and methods.
    Oh, of course you'll get a biased view - but it's about who you feel inspired by and who you feel you could learn from ultimately. You can't fake charisma or a research field that's exciting!

Out of them, I'd pick Edinburgh - but I've got friends who've done Business there and thoroughly enjoyed it. If I were you, I'd research where I personally would get the best education in terms of quality, work-life balance, enjoyment and career prospects in whichever order you feel is most important to you. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.