The Student Room Group

GCSE grades

Suppose I did not do my GCSE like we usually do. Is it worth it to sit for the exams during my a level years because I am worry that even with good a level grades,having no grades in GCSE is not convincing enough for universities to consider my application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Brian28msa
Suppose I did not do my GCSE like we usually do. Is it worth it to sit for the exams during my a level years because I am worry that even with good a level grades,having no grades in GCSE is not convincing enough for universities to consider my application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theu consider A-Levels a lot more important than GCSE's. If you were to re-take GCSE's and do A-Levels that might effect your A-Level grades which are more important.
Reply 2
I see because of some special reason when I apply to universities I will already have received my a level grades instead of just a predicted one.So with a definite grade like that I think maybe the GCSE would not be important anymore, is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that you won't take it at all?
Reply 4
I currently have no GCSE grades yes and I am now in AS level(1 year underage) my age was supposed to study year 11 but I am already in year 12 and I will not apply next year but the year after that so I will already have my a level results when I apply so are GCSE grades now still a concern?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I currently have no GCSE grades yes and I am now in AS level(1 year underage) my age was supposed to study year 11 but I am already in year 12 and I will not apply next year but the year after that so I will already have my a level results when I apply so are GCSE grades now still a concern?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if the course you are applying for doesn't specify minimum GCSE requirements. E.g. they may require B's or C's in English and/or Maths. Unless you are doing those subjects at A-level they may still require the GCSE.

Check the course requirements carefully and if unsure contact the universities.

What A-levels are you doing, and which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If you don't have grade C or above in English or Maths, you can't apply to university.
Reply 7
Original post by JimTalent
If you don't have grade C or above in English or Maths, you can't apply to university.

Not necessarily true.

It depends on the circumstances, the course and the university.

For example, you don't *need* English or Maths GCSE for almost any course at Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending