Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£10k cash or a licence to kill for life. What would you choose? Watch

• View Poll Results: £10k cash or licence to kill?
    Gimme the cash!
    55.91%
    Licence to kill - pass me the silenced PPK!
    44.09%

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Neither is worth it tbh.

Come back to me with a better offer then we'll talk

ReputationRep:
    You can make far more using a licence to kill than 10K. From a monetary persepctive, the 10K is a stupid pick. From a more moral standpoint there are far more discrepancies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    You can make far more using a licence to kill than 10K. From a monetary persepctive, the 10K is a stupid pick. From a more moral standpoint there are far more discrepancies.
    Have to agree. [Sorry OP]. It would have been a better question of one million pounds or a licence to kill.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Wow. No. Why would I want to kill someone?
    I don't believe in capital punishment in any circumstances and that's at least someone sentenced by a judge and jury - not me just killing off whoever I thought deserved it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Gandalf had it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Have to agree. [Sorry OP]. It would have been a better question of one million pounds or a licence to kill.
    Most definitely. £10K is such an arbitrarily small amount, representing roughly a year of working on basic pay. That's accessible to most people. Even £100K would have been a better comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Most definitely. £10K is such an arbitrarily small amount, representing roughly a year of working on basic pay. That's accessible to most people. Even £100K would have been a better comparison.

That's probably the point though. £10k is not a huge amount (although I wouldn't reject it in a rush...), so what it tells you is how much it takes for you to not take the immoral choice.

Evidently for most of you, it will take a lot more than £10k for you to reject the immoral choice. Which says something about your hypothetical moral compasses people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    That's probably the point though. £10k is not a huge amount (although I wouldn't reject it in a rush...), so what it tells you is how much it takes for you to not take the immoral choice.

Evidently for most of you, it will take a lot more than £10k for you to reject the immoral choice. Which says something about your hypothetical moral compasses people
    Maybe, but having a licence to kill doesn't necessarily mean you WILL kill someone. I said I would have it "in case" an evil dictator threatened to wipe out millions of people or if I knew of a paedo who had made children suffer. It would be different if the OP had asked if we would take 10K or have a licence to kill which meant we were ordered to kill whoever whenever and we had no choice but to obey.

ReputationRep:

That's not strictly true. The question asks if you would rather have a license to kill or £10K. It doesn't ask if you'd rather kill or have £10K. There is (albeit debateably) nothing immoral about actually having a license to kill. The question doesn't assume you'll use it, it simply asks which you'd rather have.

£10K is a flat amount and there's really nothing special about it.

A license to kill for life is very unique and holds a lot more weight than the £10K. That has nothing to do with actually killing anyone.

If we change the question to:

Would you rather have £10K or kill a person?

then the answers would be radically different. But that's not what we are being asked.

As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with actually killing anyone. Being offered £10K is not a very unique opportunity. Being offered a license to kill for the rest of your life is. Regardless of whether you actually kill anyone, the license is probably unique enough that you could get £10K of value from it within your lifetime. It's got nothing to do with morals, it's a matter of comparing a very everyday scenario to something very unique.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but having a licence to kill doesn't necessarily mean you WILL kill someone. I said I would have it "in case" an evil dictator threatened to wipe out millions of people or if I knew of a paedo who had made children suffer. It would be different if the OP had asked if we would take 10K or have a licence to kill which meant we were ordered to kill whoever whenever and we had no choice but to obey.
    But why would you want the licence if you never intended to use it?

And also, it means a free pass to kill it doesn't mean the automatic ability to kill anyone, even the powerful. Although it would be nice to click your fingers and for Trump to disappear.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    A license to kill for life is very unique and holds a lot more weight than the £10K. That has nothing to do with actually killing anyone.
    On the contrary, a license to kill has no value at all unless you are prepared to use it. If you would rather have the license than £10k then you are actively considering taking a human life - at best that makes you immoral, at worst, a psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's not strictly true. The question asks if you would rather have a license to kill or £10K. It doesn't ask if you'd rather kill or have £10K. There is (albeit debateably) nothing immoral about actually having a license to kill. The question doesn't assume you'll use it, it simply asks which you'd rather have.

£10K is a flat amount and there's really nothing special about it.

If we change the question to:

Would you rather have £10K or kill a person?

then the answers would be radically different. But that's not what we are being asked.

As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with actually killing anyone. Being offered £10K is not a very unique opportunity. Being offered a license to kill for the rest of your life is. Regardless of whether you actually kill anyone, the license is probably unique enough that you could get £10K of value from it within your lifetime. It's got nothing to do with morals, it's a matter of comparing a very everyday scenario to something very unique.
    That's an overly pedantic perspective IMO. Why would you have the licence if you never intended to use it?
    Even if you said to yourself that you'll save it just in case an opportunity arises, that still expresses intent. It's the equivalent of saying you'll save the £10k for times of hardship. It still has a use, even if it's not immediately apparent.

How would you get value from the licence to kill that exceeds £10k without it indirectly resulting in someone being killed? If you sold it someone else for more than £10k you'd be contributing to someone's murder.

The only way it would be more moral was if you took the licence with the perfect intention of never using it, or to destroy it.
    No matter what happens. But that's not what you're saying, you're saying it has a higher value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    On the contrary, a license to kill has no value at all unless you are prepared to use it. If you would rather have the license than £10k then you are actively considering taking a human life - at best that makes you immoral, at worst, a psychopath.
    That's somewhat a matter of perspective. The value of the license is not determined by whether you want to use it or not. It's a rather contrived and unlikely example but let's say there were some theoretical club where the only way to get in was to have a "license to kill". Killing is not a prequisite, the license itself holds value outside of using it to kill. This is of course a very abstract example but it's the same as how you can use a driving license without ever actually driving. The license itself holds value in other ways. Naturally none of us have experience but I'm fairly sure the license by itself would hold some form of power over people, or act as some sort of status symbol.

A more immature example, let's say you had a license to kill and could brag about that to your friends, who think it's really cool. The license holds value because it gives you something to brag about, regardless of whether you kill or not.

I'm not at all saying this are reasons to take the license over the money, I just want to demonstrate how value is not determined in such a straightforward way. It's also worth noting that value is not determined by the holder. If you did want to use that license to kill people and sold yourself as a service then the value is defined by what your customers are willing to pay. So no, the license clearly does have value outisde of using it to kill and you do not have to actively consider taking someone's life.

On a personal note I would take it purely because it's totally unique. To me that uniqueness has a value.

ReputationRep:
    That's an overly pedantic perspective IMO. Why would you have the licence if you never intended to use it?
    Even if you said to yourself that you'll save it just in case an opportunity arises, that still expresses intent. It's the equivalent of saying you'll save the £10k for times of hardship. It still has a use, even if it's not immediately apparent.

How would you get value from the licence to kill that exceeds £10k without it indirectly resulting in someone being killed? If you sold it someone else for more than £10k you'd be contributing to someone's murder.

The only way it would be more moral was if you took the licence with the perfect intention of never using it, or to destroy it.
    No matter what happens. But that's not what you're saying, you're saying it has a higher value.
    It might sound overly pedantic but ultimately the question does not ask if you would kill someone.

Let's replace the license with a gun for example (and assume you'd legally be allowed to own it). A gun is clearly for killing people (for arguments sake we'll ignore hunting and so on). Could you take the gun over the money? Of course you could. Let's also assume that the gun has a market value of £10,000 so that from a monetary position the value isn't different. Could you take the gun because it were unique? Or because it looked nice? Of course you could, they're perfectly valid reasons, if not entirely logical from everyone's perspective.

The problem is people are looking at the license to kill and only seeing it as a way to charge people for murder. That's not the only value the license holds, which is what I talked about in my other post just above.

ReputationRep:
    Licence to kill, easy. Could charge 50k per assassination. See? Business thinking
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    ...the money... obviously... :erm:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is some Death Note **** right here.

God of the new world.
    I'll take a potato chip, and eat it.

ReputationRep:
    License to kill obviously

It would have to be a 10 figure sum to top that frankly. I wouldn't give that up for a luxury yacht and running costs paid for, for the rest of my life :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Don't be such a girl, you could apply a bit of soft pressure with your shiny new powers. Imagine being ID'd and pulling out your government approved license to kill, I don't think I would pay for entry anywhere ever again.

ReputationRep:
    The money. I wouldn't kill people even if I was allowed to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.