Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£10k cash or a licence to kill for life. What would you choose? Watch

• View Poll Results: £10k cash or licence to kill?
    Gimme the cash!
    55.91%
    Licence to kill - pass me the silenced PPK!
    44.09%

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnyDeol)
    Too bad I didn't see the spoiler, already tracked your IP and called the RAF on u...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww, I'm so scared.

licence to kill..but then i'd rarely use it
      £100k?maybe
      isn't there a option saying life time supply of chocolate?

ReputationRep:
      License to kill

A lot of peoples heads are worth millions
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Take the license, kill you, take the money.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Acsel)
      It might sound overly pedantic but ultimately the question does not ask if you would kill someone. Let's replace the license with a gun for example (and assume you'd legally be allowed to own it). A gun is clearly for killing people (for arguments sake we'll ignore hunting and so on). Could you take the gun over the money? Of course you could. Let's also assume that the gun has a market value of £10,000 so that from a monetary position the value isn't different. Could you take the gun because it were unique? Or because it looked nice? Of course you could, they're perfectly valid reasons, if not entirely logical from everyone's perspective. The problem is people are looking at the license to kill and only seeing it as a way to charge people for murder. That's not the only value the license holds, which is what I talked about in my other post just above.
      I think you missed the point of my original post. I don't think I ever said that a licence to kill equates to you unequivocally, directly killing? I simply said that the question is framed in a way that places a value on a licence to kill.

Some think it's worth a hell of a lot more than £10k, some dislike the idea completely, no matter what it's value. Obviously those who would accept the £10k are likely to be more moral because they likely disagree with the notion of having a licence to kill. Either that, or they can't turn down the idea of a quick and easy £10k with no complications.

You are saying that choosing the licence to kill is not less moral, because it contains value other than the direct killing of another? But yes, you might not kill another using it, but what other value would you gain from it?
      To sell it, to allow others access to it?

In order to profit from it, you would have to directly or indirectly involve yourself in the killing of another. Which is immoral.
      The only moral response to the licence would be to destroy it, but then that quells any value. I don't see how you can possibly say that it is not an immoral choice, but also has value? Unless, you offered to sell it to someone who would destroy it. But then that's taking this a bit far

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by l'etranger)
      Don't be such a girl, you could apply a bit of soft pressure with your shiny new powers. Imagine being ID'd and pulling out your government approved license to kill, I don't think I would pay for entry anywhere ever again.

Why is being "a girl" an insult in that context?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      Why is being "a girl" an insult in that context?
      Women create life, men end it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Snufkin)
      TSR seems to have a lot of sociopaths. What sane person would ever really want to kill somebody? :afraid:
      I'd kill dictators and the like if I had bond like assinnation skillz. Take out Assad etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by l'etranger)
      Women create life.
      except when they abortion

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
      I'd kill dictators and the like if I had bond like assinnation skillz. Take out Assad etc.
      Wouldn't that just create power vacuums which would lead to more conflict?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willy Pete)
      Wouldn't that just create power vacuums which would lead to more conflict?
      said every dictator ever

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
      said every dictator ever
      Because it has never happen before, Iraq is lovely now Saddam is gone.
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      I think you missed the point of my original post. I don't think I ever said that a licence to kill equates to you unequivocally, directly killing? I simply said that the question is framed in a way that places a value on a licence to kill.

Some think it's worth a hell of a lot more than £10k, some dislike the idea completely, no matter what it's value. Obviously those who would accept the £10k are likely to be more moral because they likely disagree with the notion of having a licence to kill. Either that, or they can't turn down the idea of a quick and easy £10k with no complications.

You are saying that choosing the licence to kill is not less moral, because it contains value other than the direct killing of another? But yes, you might not kill another using it, but what other value would you gain from it?
      To sell it, to allow others access to it?

In order to profit from it, you would have to directly or indirectly involve yourself in the killing of another. Which is immoral.
      The only moral response to the licence would be to destroy it, but then that quells any value. I don't see how you can possibly say that it is not an immoral choice, but also has value? Unless, you offered to sell it to someone who would destroy it. But then that's taking this a bit far
      You sir understood the thought process behind the original post. I was initially actually considering a lower value of £5k.

The idea of this post was not to attempt to put a value on a fictional licence to kill, but rather take a deep dive into people's thoughts of morality when the legal restrictions are lifted. I didn't expect most people to understand this, in fact the post wouldn't have worked if they had.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kalclash)
      You sir understood the thought process behind the original post. I was initially actually considering a lower value of £5k.

The idea of this post was not to attempt to put a value on a fictional licence to kill, but rather take a deep dive into people's thoughts of morality when the legal restrictions are lifted. I didn't expect most people to understand this, in fact the post wouldn't have worked if they had.
      Once again underestimating the intelligence of the user base.
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      Once again underestimating the intelligence of the user base.
      How did you jump to that conclusion my friend?

ReputationRep:
      Why would I want to be a murderer? I've gone 21 years without having the urge to kill anyone, so I'll take the money

ReputationRep:
      How did you jump to that conclusion my friend?
      From you abandoning your last thread. Don't call me friend, buddy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Rhythmical)
      Licence to kill but then I also think, that £10k I could turn into some booming business so yeah.
      What sort of business are you thinking?

Start a business and I will give you £20k for a to be agreed upon share in your future booming business.
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      From you abandoning your last thread. Don't call me friend, buddy.
      I need to rephrase the question so that you understand. With regards specifically to this thread, how have you reached the assumption that I am underestimating people's intelligence?

ReputationRep:
      I need to rephrase the question so that you understand. With regards specifically to this thread, how have you reached the assumption that I am underestimating people's intelligence?
      I don't judge users based off a single thread.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.