Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'How I felt when someone was mean to me online/ "trolled" me' support thread Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Let's have a safe and cosy place to talk about it on TSR :console:

It's happened to me a few times online and I when I read the comments I literally felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I felt completely ****. I wanted to say someone back, I wanted to defend myself - but in the end I didn't see the point and was left with this horrible feeling in my stomach.

If you have good intentions and then someone accuses you of the complete opposite it can really hurt. Or if you have shared your story and someone is unsupportive, that really sucks. Or perhaps you've posted a picture online and you've had some derogatory comments as responses. It just feels horrible.

This can happen on any social media/ online papers... anywhere online and often the worst comments are made by complete strangers.

If you have had to handle this kind of misplaced judgement my heart really does go out to you :hugs:

The purpose of this thread is to not necessarily discuss what happened, but how it made you feel. To have a place where you can talk about it with people who will understand. You can also post anonymously.

None of us can control other people and their actions, but we can control how we feel about what happened and try to see it in a different light - understanding that this isn't about us, but more about them and how they feel about themselves - that's probably a big part of the reason they lashed out at you in the first place.

Big love :heart:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can find all about our community support, rules and guidelines here

ReputationRep:
    Why would you have someone as a friend who would write that kind of thing?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :grouphugs:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Why would you have someone as a friend who would write that kind of thing?
    The majority of the time they are complete strangers though.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    oh is this on twitter or facebook?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :bl:

:heart:

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was about social media. Are you talking about people actually getting upset by nonsense on TSR?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :bl:

:heart:
    :gah: Don't think I will ever understand how people can be so mean
    :penguinhug:
    I'm always around if anyone wants a chat or something <3
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    oh is this on twitter or facebook?
    I should probably clarify this in the OP shouldn't I.....

Can be any online social media - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, forums....

When I've seen it on the The Student Room I've dealt with it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It made me laugh.

It's hard to take these troll people seriously.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :gah: Don't think I will ever understand how people can be so mean
    :penguinhug:
    I'm always around if anyone wants a chat or something <3
    You're a diamond :heart:

I don't know either...... we can only assume they're having a tough time of it themselves and wanting to take it out on someone else. That still doesn't make it ok though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You're a diamond :heart:

I don't know either...... we can only assume they're having a tough time of it themselves and wanting to take it out on someone else. That still doesn't make it ok though
    You're a unicorn :love:
    :console: it does not
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It didn't affect me because it's some irrelevant person behind a computer screen.

What an excellent thread idea She-Ra :cube:

I've experienced a lot of this thing before and it's really not OK. A lot of the time, people will attack you simply because they want to, for a laugh. Especially on forums like TSR. There seems to be a specific type of person that thinks edgy humour is funny, even funnier at the expense of other people. I have often had comments directed towards me for absolutely no reason other than to upset me. Luckily, I know the CT and everyone takes this sort of thing seriously and so they get into trouble for it, but sometimes that's not the point - because they'll still be on the site and they'll still be potentially upsetting others.

I think, it gives me a little bit of comfort knowing that these people must be really struggling themselves in some way to be so hateful to another person for their own amusement. There's still no excuse for it, though. It makes the other person feel absolutely terrible, especially when a lot of the time they're just trying to get by and enjoy themselves. People, especially on social media, don't need to be brought down by others. Whether it be to prove a point or whatever. Express your opinion in a way that isn't rude, there's absolutely no need to speak to another person as if they're an idiot because they don't agree with you.

Spoiler:
    Show

I feel especially bad for the mods/ST on here - I have seen it so many times when they're simply trying to help and they get shot down for it because they're a mod and people don't seem to like mods because they have to enforce the rules. If you break the rules, you're going to get into trouble, it's not the mods' fault - they're just doing their job at the end of the day tbh. They're just normal people trying to help, that's all. It would be silly to suggest that TSR - a commercial company that has a reputation to maintain - would keep mods that were on power trips or unfairly using their powers on the site. They would be removed if they were, I have no doubt about that. People give them too much hate for no reason. They do a good job here, they really do.

There is a lot more I could say, I have received death threats and the like on numerous occasions - I have no idea what for. Probably because of my purple username. Who knows? It's targeted and repetitive attacks on people like this that can really affect people. Luckily, I have a thick skin and it doesn't usually get to me, but the world (and TSR) would be a better place if people were just that bit nicer to others.

Pls don't try to guess who I am tyyyyyy
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    It made me laugh.

It's hard to take these troll people seriously.
    See, that is awesome. And most of the time I react like that.... but sometimes.... it just takes me down... BAM, all my resiliance goes, I feel like a plastic bag filled with water and full of holes. All my energy just drains....

Anyone else get that feeling? :ninjagirl:

(Original post by UWS)
    It didn't affect me because it's some irrelevant person behind a computer screen.
    I try and rationalise too... but I realise I can be a sensitive flower... and sometimes I just have to feel what I'm feeling
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    See, that is awesome. And most of the time I react like that.... but sometimes.... it just takes me down... BAM, all my resiliance goes, I feel like a plastic bag filled with water and full of holes. All my energy just drains....

Anyone else get that feeling? :ninjagirl:
    I see what you mean, but you have to remember they're just complete idiots, that like to waste their time insulting people on the web. They have no life whatsoever, and a severely low self-esteem to even consider doing that.

Visual representation of them : :cyber:

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say how awful it is that you're forced to put up with this, nobody open up their internet only to face a barrage of vitriol and abuse, I can't think of anything worse personally :moon:

I'm fairly lucky, because I myself don't get attacked too much. But I always try to stand up for people who are. A lot of the time I see people really struggling with things on this site, and all it takes is one idiot to post something horrible in the comments just because they don't think what the OP is going through is a big deal. It's really sad, and it's just going to make the whole situation worse. I wish people would just take a moment to think before they post stuff, not just on here, but anywhere online...

ReputationRep:
    Its the Danish!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What an excellent thread idea She-Ra :cube:

I've experienced a lot of this thing before and it's really not OK. A lot of the time, people will attack you simply because they want to, for a laugh. Especially on forums like TSR. There seems to be a specific type of person that thinks edgy humour is funny, even funnier at the expense of other people. I have often had comments directed towards me for absolutely no reason other than to upset me. Luckily, I know the CT and everyone takes this sort of thing seriously and so they get into trouble for it, but sometimes that's not the point - because they'll still be on the site and they'll still be potentially upsetting others.

I think, it gives me a little bit of comfort knowing that these people must be really struggling themselves in some way to be so hateful to another person for their own amusement. There's still no excuse for it, though. It makes the other person feel absolutely terrible, especially when a lot of the time they're just trying to get by and enjoy themselves. People, especially on social media, don't need to be brought down by others. Whether it be to prove a point or whatever. Express your opinion in a way that isn't rude, there's absolutely no need to speak to another person as if they're an idiot because they don't agree with you.

Spoiler:
    Show

I feel especially bad for the mods/ST on here - I have seen it so many times when they're simply trying to help and they get shot down for it because they're a mod and people don't seem to like mods because they have to enforce the rules. If you break the rules, you're going to get into trouble, it's not the mods' fault - they're just doing their job at the end of the day tbh. They're just normal people trying to help, that's all. It would be silly to suggest that TSR - a commercial company that has a reputation to maintain - would keep mods that were on power trips or unfairly using their powers on the site. They would be removed if they were, I have no doubt about that. People give them too much hate for no reason. They do a good job here, they really do.

There is a lot more I could say, I have received death threats and the like on numerous occasions - I have no idea what for. Probably because of my purple username. Who knows? It's targeted and repetitive attacks on people like this that can really affect people. Luckily, I have a thick skin and it doesn't usually get to me, but the world (and TSR) would be a better place if people were just that bit nicer to others.

Pls don't try to guess who I am tyyyyyy
    :grouphugs: So sad to hear this :console:, you're very right about the mods, they do an excellent job - I've seen for myself :yes:

Here for you anytime :cube:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.