Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Self-teaching Chemistry A-Level CIE as a private Candidate Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I reading through the syllabus it said that Paper 3 Advanced Practical Skills "This paper requires candidates to carry out practical work in timed conditions...".
    How does this work for private candidates who don't go to school? Like When I did my O-Level Chemistry exams I did the Chemistry Alternative to practical paper because I self-studied it. How does it work now?
    Like on the date of the exam do you go to a lab instead of the exam hall and do the practical while being watched? And if so what's the atmosphere like? Can it be compared to the ISA papers that you do in GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Some exam boards for A Level still have the alternative to practical paper, but if they don't you'll have to go to a school and do it. You also might have to pay the school as well. I don't think you can compare it to an ISA, because how you carry out the experiment itself doesn't matter. You're only marked on the written work. But for A Level chemistry they're going to be properly checking how you carry out the experiment and collect the results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zattyzatzat)
    When I reading through the syllabus it said that Paper 3 Advanced Practical Skills "This paper requires candidates to carry out practical work in timed conditions...".
    How does this work for private candidates who don't go to school? Like When I did my O-Level Chemistry exams I did the Chemistry Alternative to practical paper because I self-studied it. How does it work now?
    Like on the date of the exam do you go to a lab instead of the exam hall and do the practical while being watched? And if so what's the atmosphere like? Can it be compared to the ISA papers that you do in GCSE?
    CIE only has compulsory practical exam for A level chemistry - there is no " alternativeto practical options"( that is for IGCSE/O level only) Edexcel INTERNATIONAL A level chem does have the alternative to practical option - BUT - you can only sit it from OUTSIDE the UK ( not permitted at all in the UK) .
    So - are you sitting exams in the UK? IF so you either need to do the CIE practicals- there are a FEW centres which do it mostly in London, or do a UK board with all the issues of the practical endorsement with those.
    Sort a centre now or you may end up unable to take the CIE

ReputationRep:
    There's a list of centres which offer the A-Level Sciences practicals at the bottom of this page:

http://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/Science_A-levels
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    NEC offers A level study online for Edexcel Chemistry. While you can familiarise yourself with the practicals for the written exams, if you need the practical skills endorsement, you will pay a further fee to attend our sessions. As others have said, check if you need the endorsement for your particular uni course, letting them know you are doing it by distance learning. Contact us at nec.ac.uk
    Daniel

ReputationRep:
    I personally would not recommend the National Extension College in any form.

You can contact your local schools and F.E. Colleges to see if they accept private candidates and the arrangements for practicals and so forth. But as others have mentioned, you must get this straight before any enrolment, otherwise you could end up studying for a qualification which you can't technically complete!

ReputationRep:

Dear,
    I am sending you a little help in your inbox hopefully it will clarify your concerns.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.