Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reasons to read more? How often do you read? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a hugeeeeee bookworm but right now it's slacking due to GCSE preparation. I hope that in A level English lit I can read a larger variety!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William2813)
    I read quite often, although not necessarily in large quantities such as books, and more so online. I have many books I'd like to read but never get around to it.
    If you want to read books so much, just take the time for that, planning to read books in your leisure time, like me. Think about what would you go without something in this time and substitute it by reading.

I am reading quite often books and magazines in a week, although I am exhausted after working sometimes. :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am reading so often in a week, even in a working week. My reason is simple, namely to get to know new things by reading professional books about philosophy, religion, history, sicences and cultures. In holiday weeks, I am reading classic novels. Almost doing that in those weeks, as they are the only ones with sufficient leisure.

ReputationRep:
    i always try to read at least for half an hour per day. i want to read so many books but there's never enough time. i like audiobooks because you can listen to them while washing up, or in the road and it's really cool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustJ)
    i always try to read at least for half an hour per day. i want to read so many books but there's never enough time. i like audiobooks because you can listen to them while washing up, or in the road and it's really cool
    Have the same problem like you. Would love to read so many books, but because of lack of time, it is so difficult to realize. Listening to audiobooks seems to be a good idea. Should give that a try.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to read everyday. But it's hard now, as Im revising and studying for my GCSE'S, which is currently taking up my life atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love reading but degree level English Lit has sapped my soul..!!

ReputationRep:
    I read about 2/3 books a month. I read to learn about stuff I'm interested in but never studied at school. Stuff like philosophy, psychology, neuroscience, history etc and also books about communication, building relationships with women. The books aren't text books but just for the everyday person to pick up
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    I read about 2/3 books a month. I read to learn about stuff I'm interested in but never studied at school. Stuff like philosophy, psychology, neuroscience, history etc and also books about communication, building relationships with women. The books aren't text books but just for the everyday person to pick up
    May I ask you what period of philosophy do you like most of all? and what philosophers are your favorites? Mine are Kant and Marx and their lifetimes are also my favorite period of philosophy. Kant made a contribution in enlightenment by giving a quite precise imagination of this meaning per se. Marx in turn has raised the awareness of poor people by his statements and analysis about the economical conditions at his lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    My reason is simple, namely to get to know new things by reading professional books about philosophy, religion, history, sicences and cultures.
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    Stuff like philosophy, psychology, neuroscience, history etc and also books about communication, building relationships with women.
    What Philosophy and Psychology books are you guys reading/would recommend?

(Original post by Kallisto)
    May I ask you what period of philosophy do you like most of all? and what philosophers are your favorites? Mine are Kant and Marx and their lifetimes are also my favorite period of philosophy. Kant made a contribution in enlightenment by giving a quite precise imagination of this meaning per se. Marx in turn has raised the awareness of poor people by his statements and analysis about the economical conditions at his lifetime.
    I am interested in trying to read Kant, but I have heard that his work (particularly Critique of Pure Reason) is more geared towards Philosophy students than a lay person.

Are there any books you would recommend for someone interested in learning about Metaphysics at a beginners level?

ReputationRep:
    Any Oxford/Blackwell/other companion to... Is generally a good place to start with philosophy books. 'Introduction to' books are others. These are the sorts of things you'd get told to read as a first year philosophy undergrad so they shouldn't be too taxing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)

I am interested in trying to read Kant, but I have heard that his work (particularly Critique of Pure Reason) is more geared towards Philosophy students than a lay person.

Are there any books you would recommend for someone interested in learning about Metaphysics at a beginners level?
    For philosophy per se, I recommend you a general book about this. It has a huge amount of general philosopy. But I can't recommend a book to you without to know the English name (I am used to read books in German language).

For metaphysics I can't recommend a book at all, as I just have books about general phylosophy without special topics for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...mply_Explained
    That's a good series to start grasping a basic understanding then from there can move onto bigger things

ReputationRep:
    I read quite a lot but Id love to have any friend I could discuss the reading with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love reading but now I've stopped recently cos exams and deadlines. I will get back to reading soon I missed it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humerak786)
    I love reading but now I've stopped recently cos exams and deadlines. I will get back to reading soon I missed it!
    Oh yeah, I know this situation pretty good. I was soooo eased when those annoying deadlines and exams were over to continue in reading at last!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.