Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today, I understand the meaning of being in the depths of despair. It probably might take me longer than usual to type this because I am struggling to find the energy to even write. I am completely hopeless about everything.
    If you have suffered from or are going through depression, you know the point at which I am - when even the slightest form of rejection or rebuke turns your entire mood upside down.
    I have for months trying to land an internship or a job. I just completed my Masters from a prestigious foreign university, and while my social life was non-existent there and I was severely depressed even then, I was pretty sure that once I go back home, employers would see my degree as a productive source for their company. I seek to work in the non-profit sector, but there too it seems you need to be either in management or finance. They are not interested in your fancy degree. They don't see that you want to learn, or that you are hard-working, they just see you as an inexperienced simpleton.
    I have lost count of how many places I have applied to now. I wouldn't have been this resentful towards life if these great organizations just replied to my job queries, I mean, I deserve a decent reply at least? But no, I am not worthy of that either. I sit in my room, hours on end, with absolutely nothing to do, looking every ****ing day for opportunities, while every ****ing person I know is moving ahead in their lives.
    I am stuck. No new friends, no job, no one. Every effort I make seems worthless and a waste of time. Time and again, I have done by best, only to be bogged down by nasty people and never, never appreciated. What do I do? I have lost the need to socialize with people, I hate going out, and my parents don't understand ****.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anuranjita)
    x
    Hey, sorry things are so bad for you at the minute. I think these sort of feelings are fairly common when people are jobhunting but that doesn't make them any less serious or easier to deal with. Have you seen your GP at all? There's a lot they can do to help and I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't yet. Look online and ask in Career sectors and graduate employment on here to see if there's any way to improve your applications too- they're probably good already, but there's not a lot of jobs going and an awful lot of graduates looking for them so there's no harm in trying to get a little bit more out of what you've done. You never know, the one tiniest change could make all the difference! It sounds like you've done really well with your degree which hopefully someone will recognise eventually.

In the mean time, have you thought about getting a part time job in retail or somewhere and trying to get some work experience to add to your CV? Volunteering too can be great for that and confidence and even just for something to get out of the house. Really hope have some more luck with them soon though and start feeling a bit better!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.