Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Tl;dr: want to do a masters so I can get on to a PhD, but have already done one. Want to know if it's worth it.

So, lately for the past 2/3 years I've been looking to do a PhD. In that time, I've applied to at least 10 or so each year and at best have got to interview stages on 2 of them.

I've got a low 2:2 BSc Chemistry, I was lazy and no one to blame but myself for it. I did an MSc in Medicinal Chemistry to try and make up for the low grade. I did initially get on to a PhD position but ended up quiting for various reasons. I've worked in industry since ( about 3 years).

Lately it's been suggested to do an Mres in Chemistry to give me a way in to a lab. Given the tuition fees and basically adding an extra year, I don't know if it would be a good idea or not. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or advice?

Thanks. :-)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if an MRes will help except for giving you more lab experience which I'd imagine you'd have anyway from working in industry. Have you had feedback from your interviews? 10 applications isn't a lot and it sounds like you need to work more on them and your interview technique than just collecting more degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I'm not sure if an MRes will help except for giving you more lab experience which I'd imagine you'd have anyway from working in industry. Have you had feedback from your interviews? 10 applications isn't a lot and it sounds like you need to work more on them and your interview technique than just collecting more degrees.
    I think with the Mres, those that suggested it were going for the angle of getting into a lab as a masters student and then doing a PhD with that lab. I agree, I've probably got enough lab experience.

The interviews I was only able to get small amounts of feedback even when requested, just the generic "good applicant, but there's better"
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If there are better applicants then that's just tough luck, not a reflection on you personally and not something you can do much about. An MRes doesn't always lead to a PhD in that lab and unless you have some idea of whether that is likely or not (it depends on a lot of things) then doing a masters on that basis is not worth the time or expense.

ReputationRep:
    In September 2018 student loans come in for phds. This gives an option that is not about competing for a phd place and stipend.

Because you already have a masters you won't be able to get a student loan for another one (no matter how your first one was paid for).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.