Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought remoaners said A Brexit vote would cause it to crash!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38755242

0.6% growth last quarter!

ReputationRep:
    It's apparent much of the rhetoric thrown around in the prelude to the EU Referendum was hyperbolic to say the least. It is worth pointing out that the UK hasn't actually left the European Union yet but figures such as Mark Carney have now come out & said that their predictions were incorrect.
    I think it's fair to say that figures on both sides of the campaign both expressed what you'd class as worst case scenarios rather than realistic ones.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't believe the Bank of England or the Treasury. If they told me it was day, I would still go and check.

ReputationRep:
    "Remoaners"

I don't know what it is about Brexit that has grown men and women (and whatever you are) talking like 12 year olds.

The infantile *****ing by paranoid leave voters that see any scrutiny as unpatriotic hogwash, the supposedly superior moral and intellectual posture of remain voters who are sure any leave voter is a racist or an idiot and the vote should be ignored...

It's all getting desperately tedious. The sooner the process begins and the childish squabbling and one-upmanship stops the better.

ReputationRep:
    The standard retort from Remain voters will be 'The UK hasn't actually left the EU yet'.
    Even though that wasn't their initial prediction. The prediction was for an instant economic meltdown, otherwise so many economists wouldn't be backtracking. Remainers are simply moving the goalposts now that they're wrong. Five years after Brexit happens when the economy still hasn't imploded they'll change their argument again, it'll probably be something like 'But we'd have done even better if we had stayed in the EU.'

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Your avatar deserves a prize.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is very pleasing news and firmly backed by monthly PMI figures which show the economy accelerating.

I'm still wary of inflation and falling employment but growth so far it seems is largely unaffected.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't even left any markets yet. Nothing dramatic is going to happen until something actually changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Mate)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38755242

0.6% growth last quarter!

ReputationRep:
    Is it not the case though that the current economic boom is being supported as ever by consumer spending paid for by cheap debt? Not the perfect storm by a long way but not ideal either.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    We haven't even left any markets yet. Nothing dramatic is going to happen until something actually changes.
    The treasury, BOE and IMF et all.. would disagree. Their forecasts essentially concluded a fairly immediate stall/contraction followed by long run growth that was less than ~0.5% slower than it would have been each year (the primary reason i thought it was worth the gamble).

While inflation and employment are not looking too healthy (employment has started to fall indicating less job creation) it looks like the material impact on the economy so far is minimal because all agencies seem to have vastly underestimated the consumer.

Currently, the picture exceeds that of the treasuries best case scenario albeit if we see the predicted slowdown this year it will go closer to the mean (the treasury assumed growth in the EU would be 2.1% in 2017 and 2018 had we stayed so that's what we have to match/beat).

Cautiously optimistic is my stance at the moment. Worth saying that PMI data indicated an accelerating economy too.

(Original post by ByEeek)
    Is it not the case though that the current economic boom is being supported as ever by consumer spending paid for by cheap debt? Not the perfect storm by a long way but not ideal either.
    It is exactly what the BOE wanted (or evidence that they should not have cut rates - i'm with the later). On the plus side while poor people borrowing is a sign of bad things, the middle classes tend to borrow when they feel confident in their own financial position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.