Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Historical Inaccuracies in TV and Film Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Historical inaccuracies in shows and movies just bugs me. Seriously. It makes me wonder whether or not the people who make the show care about history.

I’m pretty obsessed with historical shows and movies. My all-time favourite show is The Tudors and my second favourite film is The Duchess (if you can guess my favourite film of all time, bonus rep to you; it’s not Harry Potter). Below are three inaccuracies that annoy me the most in The Tudors, for example:

1) Cardinal Wolsey dies by his own hand while in prison. (s1, ep10)

Just no. I love Sam Neill in this show, and oh my, I love the soundtrack to this scene, but this didn’t happen. Cardinal Wolsey died around the age of 60 of an illness en route to London at Leicester Abbey, to answer the charges of treason held against him, on the 29th November, 1530.

2) King Henry VIII had only one sister, Princess Margaret (who only appears in season one).

Afraid not. He had two. This feisty character (and wow, she has sass) is an amalgam of his two sisters, Margaret Queen of Scots and Mary Dowager Queen of France. The show didn’t want the Dowager Queen of France to be confused with the Princess Mary, Henry’s daughter. Mary was married to the King of France and later to Charles Brandon, becoming the ancestress to Lady Jane Grey, the 9-day queen. Margaret was married to the King of Scotland and was the ancestress to Mary Queen of Scots.

This means the marrying the King of Portugal story-line was rubbish.

3) The Vatican and the Spanish ambassador commissioned William Brereton to assassinate Anne Boleyn (season 2).

Yeah…no. For some bizarre reason, the show completely changed Brereton’s character. In reality: he was not a Jesuit but a courtier of Henry’s court (his wife a second cousin to the King) and was a background figure in the Boleyn faction. Still, to this day, I don’t understand why the show changed this. Probably for entertainment.

I thought about picking out some of the inaccuracies in the show Reign. Then I remembered the Reign is so historically inaccurate that we would be here for quite some time! Honestly, that show…it’s a historian’s worst nightmare.

The Crown (my second favourite show) doesn’t escape inaccuracies (mainly to do with how they have the Duke of Windsor offer advice to his niece, Queen Elizabeth; that would have not happened in real life, let’s be honest).

So, like me, do you care about inaccuracies in historical TV shows and films? Or are you there for the gorgeous costumes and the drama? :mmm:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    and my second favourite film is The Duchess (if you can guess my favourite film of all time, bonus rep to you; it’s not Harry Potter).
    A shot in the dark... is it The Young Victoria?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    A shot in the dark... is it The Young Victoria?
    3rd favourite, so I'll rep you for that!

It's not based on historical characters, but it's a classic that shows historical conventions that I find rather fascinating.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    3rd favourite, so I'll rep you for that!

It's not based on historical characters, but it's a classic that shows historical conventions that I find rather fascinating.
    Aahh close enough. Can't think what it might be. :<

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVpoSrqMMg

this is one giant inaccuracy... people have never walked on the moon :teehee:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Aahh close enough. Can't think what it might be. :<
    If no gets it, I'll tell you later :laugh: Though I just realised I said 'classic' but forgot 'book'. Film based on a classic book with historical conventions that intrigue Airmed.

(Original post by the bear)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVpoSrqMMg

this is one giant inaccuracy... people have never walked on the moon :teehee:
    Oh Bear :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    If no gets it, I'll tell you later :laugh: Though I just realised I said 'classic' but forgot 'book'. Film based on a classic book with historical conventions that intrigue Airmed.

Oh Bear :rofl:
    well how do you explain the manhole covers ?

:dontknow:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    well how do you explain the manhole covers ?

:dontknow:
    Magic
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Braveheart - (of course I was going to choose this :teehee: )

William Wallace's wife's name is Murron in the film. In reality, it was Marian. The name was changed for the film so audiences wouldn't mix her up with Maid Marian from Robin Hood. Murron is a really nice name though :teehee::love:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Basically everything that everyone wearing in Vikings. I love the rest of it (I'm told the history of the plot if very anachronistic at times) but I have to ignore what everyone is wearing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Braveheart - (of course I was going to choose this :teehee: )

William Wallace's wife's name is Murron in the film. In reality, it was Marian. The name was changed for the film so audiences wouldn't mix her up with Maid Marian from Robin Hood. Murron is a really nice name :love:
    Braveheart was so obvious, ngl :laugh:

(Original post by Manitude)
    Basically everything that everyone wearing in Vikings. I love the rest of it (I'm told the history of the plot if very anachronistic at times) but I have to ignore what everyone is wearing.
    Agreed on that, yeah. I'm only on season one, but it bugs me.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    One of the most famous inaccuracies is in the film:

Krakatoa East of Java

Unfortunately Krakatoa is west of Java.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of inaccuracies in HBO Rome, but I love it nonetheless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.