Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Nigel Farage be knighted? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I for one would love to have him kneel before me when I had a sword in my hand and crown immunity from prosecution. And servants to clean up the mess.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Let Princess Beatrice do it.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Ah yes, the privately educated ex-broker "man of the people" extraordinaire MEP that campaigned to leave the EU. He hates it so much, yet still takes his hefty salary as an MEP, because why just stab them in the back when you can exploit them at the same time?! What a principled and incredible man. Of course, there isn't one person on the planet that deserves it more. Arise, Sir Nigel Farage. I know he's a man of the people because he smokes cigarettes and drinks beer. He's just like the rest of us!!
    Erm he had to become an MEP to have any credibility and understanding also how would he get into politics without being elected? Also where did I say he was just like the rest of us? Your whole post is based on pathetic jealousy
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm going to go along with Outcome Bias here - if Brexit goes well & and UK continues to thrive then I'd be open to it even if I'm not exactly his biggest fan.
    I agree. Time will tell. I dont think he deserves one at the moment because it could ofc go horribly wrong. Honours arent as hard to get as they used to be. They are less prestigious thna they used to be by at least one grade. As you say if it goes on to be a big success, then yes. Knighted now? No.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Erm he had to become an MEP to have any credibility and understanding also how would he get into politics without being elected? Also where did I say he was just like the rest of us? Your whole post is based on pathetic jealousy
    Why didnt you put a poll up and then you could have had a re-run of Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why didnt you put a poll up and then you could have had a re-run of Brexit.
    what?
    • Very Important Poster

what?
    You know what a poll is? You could have added one to the thread and then you would have ot an idea of TSR opinion on whether people think he should be knighted or not.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May isn't an MEP, yet she is making the decisions, along with the Government, to progress our exit from the European Union. Is she unqualified to do so? I'm not jealous of Farage by any means, I simply find him to be one of the most unprincipled, arrogant and unreliable 'politicians' I've ever seen in the UK political spotlight. He deceives and exaggerates. The second he had an inkling Trump might win during the election, he was sucking up to him big time.

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May isn't an MEP, yet she is making the decisions, along with the Government, to progress our exit from the European Union. Is she unqualified to do so? I'm not jealous of Farage by any means, I simply find him to be one of the most unprincipled, arrogant and unreliable 'politicians' I've ever seen in the UK political spotlight. He deceives and exaggerates. The second he had an inkling Trump might win during the election, he was sucking up to him big time.
    Theresa is just a career politician she has no credibility as she campaigned for remain and is now only going for brexit to save her career and job as she knows if she doesn't she will get voted out. Nigel Farage has stood up for Britain in the European Parliament against his own interests and has been fighting for a referendum for two decades
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Theresa is just a career politician she has no credibility as she campaigned for remain and is now only going for brexit to save her career and job as she knows if she doesn't she will get voted out. Nigel Farage has stood up for Britain in the European Parliament against his own interests and has been fighting for a referendum for two decades
    She's the PM of the country to be fair, I'd say that's pretty credible to be honest. But I respect your opinion
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Theresa is just a career politician she has no credibility as she campaigned for remain and is now only going for brexit to save her career and job as she knows if she doesn't she will get voted out.
    Farage is a career politican through and through. :rolleyes:

Nigel Farage has stood up for Britain in the European Parliament against his own interests and has been fighting for a referendum for two decades
    No he hasn't. UKIP MEPs are the worst democratic representatives you could ever hope to have, they almost never turn up to Parliament and if they ever do, it's only to blindly vote against whatever's being offered, even if it's in the UK's best interests. Meanwhile they happily help themselves to a generous MEP salary, whilst Farage grins as he argues about "foreign scroungers".
    • Very Important Poster

Arent all PM's? How long has Nigel been in politics?
    You are making me change my mind against.

ReputationRep:
    His impact on our country has been immense. In fact, May wouldn't even BE PM if the sensational UKIP by election wins before the election hadn't spooked Cameron and the Tories into holding the Referendum.

Plus, he found the decisive Leave campaign line. Immigration. All the other Leave campaigners did not want to focus on it, he said they were wrong.

They were wrong, they eventually followed his lead after they saw the polling data, and the immigration focus, HIS posters and campaign were decisive in winning the Referendum for Leave.

He turned a selection of oddballs and eccentrics into the first political party, other than the Tories or Labour to win a national election since the First World War (The European Election). He was UKIP.

He identified that Trump was a winner before any other politician in the country and went out on a limb to support him. Drawing opprobrium at the time.

He has always drawn that. He is the most hated, abused, reviled politician of his generation. He has been attacked on the street by mobs, at every meeting he holds hecklers attempt to shout him down, has has been called a racist and a bigot by pretty much the whole country. Many on this thread continue the abuse, including you.

Yet he has never wavered from his beliefs. He has wanted Britain to leave the EU all his political life and he has never stopped campaigning for it. He doesn't twist with the wind to try ad acheve power, with his presentational gifts he could have become a senior Tory Minister with ease.

But he didn't want to hold office. For its own sake. He wanted to do something. To change the country.

And he did. He has had more impact on British foreign policy than any Foreign Secretary since Thatcher.

He doesn't need a knighthood or a peerage to become famous or as a reward. He is already world famous, and his legacy to the country will be reward enough.

ReputationRep:
    I can think of something else to do with a sword that's near his head.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ****ing not.

Actually +1 @Quantex - as long as Princess Beatrice does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Farage is a career politican through and through. :rolleyes:

No he hasn't. UKIP MEPs are the worst democratic representatives you could ever hope to have, they almost never turn up to Parliament and if they ever do, it's only to blindly vote against whatever's being offered, even if it's in the UK's best interests. Meanwhile they happily help themselves to a generous MEP salary, whilst Farage grins as he argues about "foreign scroungers".
    he spent twenty years working as a commodities trader
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    he spent twenty years working as a commodities trader
    Yes, and then he spent two decades "working" as a politician. Careers don't have to span a person's entire adult life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Yes, and then he spent two decades "working" as a politician. Careers don't have to span a person's entire adult life.
    what a ridiculous statement that means by your standards all MPs are career politicians

It depends on what state our country is in 10-15 years time.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.