Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hello,

    I am in my final (4th) year of my degree at a top 5 university and due to graduate this summer. I did an internship at one of the Big4 firms in the summer of my second year (summer 2015) and converted this to a graduate role. I accepted the graduate offer and deferred it until September 2017 (rather than September 2016) as I wanted to complete my integrated masters.

    However, the offer is conditional upon achieving a 2:1 and my average in the first 3 years was just below a 2:1. Since I was not 100% sure if I'll achieve the 2:1, I applied to a number of other major firms (in various industries) this academic year and I now have 2 additional offers (both major tech companies) under my belt (with a potential 3 further offers arriving in the next 2 weeks). Also, I forgot to mention, I am not really that interested in the Big4, I only accepted the Big4 offer as a back up, IN CASE I didn't receive any more offers.

    Let's call the two tech companies X and Y. Company X's offer is like the ideal offer in terms of salary, perks, role etc also it is unconditional so I decided to accept it. No company can convince me to join them instead so I am fully intent on joining Company X. However, the problem is that I am pending a final background check before my position is confirmed and this check won't be completed for another few months. I have no reason to suspect that I'd fail the check but of course you can never be 100% sure. For that reason, I decided to accept Company Y's offer too, just in case Company X's background check fails (for whatever reason). So my first choice is Company X, second company Y, and third the Big4 firm.

    So now I have accepted all three offers, I am wondering whether there are any consequences to reneging? I would be reneging on the offers on results day but this would be 1 month before any start date. I know it's unethical to commit to something then change your mind but I don't want to graduate with a 2:2 and jobless hence my decision to accept all three.
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to hold all three offers? From what you have said you could easily drop the Big 4, especially if you have no interest in the job.
 
 
 
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.