Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: Five nightmare house mates you MUST avoid at university. Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Think your house mates are driving you up the (very thin, shared) wall? You ain’t seen nothing yet… :eek:

Although there are multiple variations of the typically ‘bad’ house mate, read our article about the five most typical housemates you want to avoid :hide:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I was very fond of the passive aggressive notes, however not to the extent of the personal belongings box - mainly with our cleaner actually, since she would often leave us fairly passive aggressive notes, to the extent of

"F_ _ _ing" so I had some fun, filled in the letters and left her a little note to the tune of "I do rather enjoying playing hangman, however, next time please make it a bit more difficult!"

She wasn't amused :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I was very fond of the passive aggressive notes, however not to the extent of the personal belongings box - mainly with our cleaner actually, since she would often leave us fairly passive aggressive notes, to the extent of

"F_ _ _ing" so I had some fun, filled in the letters and left her a little note to the tune of "I do rather enjoying playing hangman, however, next time please make it a bit more difficult!"

She wasn't amused :rofl:
    Legend :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    The first one sounds like the perfect housemate, I don't have to ever see or hear them.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Legend :rofl:
    Haha, well, our flat had a rather interesting relationship with her... I think ever since we made a massive mess outside the flat on the second night of freshers and she complained at us massively, and how she'd use our fridge and grill when she wasn't meant to etc, we just all got pissed off...

We possibly had a bit too much fun with her, and I still won't forget the reaction when she found out that we'd poked small holes at the top of her milk bottle :rofl: Oh they were the days

That's probably the thing I miss most about not having a cleaner at my house

ReputationRep:
    This is why I live alone.

ReputationRep:
    Three old housemates of mine stand out - separately.

For one, our electricity bill came 3 monthly and he refused to cough up his share of the last 3 months because he "didn't have it" - he was notoriously bad with money, blowing it on clothes, a car, holidays and used to ***** about being in so much debt. As we were moving out he asked if I'd like an old pair of trackies because they were too small for him, I accepted them, they were free. Since then however he has considered that his debt to me and the electricity bill repaid. Since then we've cut off contact and I think he has forgotten about it. £70 down the drain.

Another one has serious anger issues, honestly I'm worried about him, he used to punch everything (not people) he kicked his door in because he was angry, he smashed up the walls in his bedroom and punched out his bedroom window. He's covered all the costs etc. but this guy has problems.

Another guy used to just love smashing glass, especially when he was drunk, he loved smashing bottles, glasses etc. off the walls and floors. Eventually we replaced our glasses with cups and left him to smash his own bottles. Shocked the landlord never charged us for trashing the walls.
    • Welcome Squad

atm im the 'ghost' but at least im a clean one

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the non paying share of bills one is a real problem but that tends to be more an issue after first year when you move out of halls in to shared houses.

Another type I have had the misfortune to come across a few times over the years, including in flatshares post-uni, is the one who brings their relationship problems in to disrupt the house. One time was a Spanish couple who used to scream and row at the top of their voices in Spanish and then slam doors and stuff. The worst was a girl who had a controlling and aggressive boyfriend who caused a lot of damage in our flat, he smashed our microwave up in a temper one time and he also smashed the lock on the bathroom door and splintered the door. Unfortunately despite him being like this with her, she was always very defensive of him if any of us said we didn't want him to come round any more..."you don't know anything about me and him, it's not your place to tell me I can't have my boyfriend round".

Another annoying time was when a girl I lived with split up with a guy who then turned in to Mr hopeless romantic, turning up at the door with flowers and announcing he was going to sit outside on the step all night if he had to wait for her (she called his bluff on that one and he got cold and went home lol). He then started ringing her every 5 minutes so she blocked his number, and he started ringing me and my other flatmates to hassle us to get us to try and put pressure on her.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have a flatmate who filled an entire freezer with Chinese food, the boxes are really tightly packed in so there's probably around 30 containers of food. He doesn't seem to have brought any pots, pans or cutlery (unless they're in his room) and he never comes out of his bedroom

ReputationRep:
    **** those guys who put oversized bread in the fridge. what a ****ing waste of space, bread doesn't even need fridge u moron.
    if you do that **** you.
    and **** those chinese foods in the freezer, at least it eat it instea dof storing it for like 3 months ffs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.