Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should we feel bad about anything?. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean ultimately things that happen are just things that happen.
    Then why should feel bad about anything?.

ReputationRep:
    Evolutionarily speaking, feeling bad about "bad" things is key to a successful large society

ReputationRep:
    because maybe the thing that happened could have been prevented from happening

or you weren't expecting that thing to happen that happened

sometimes you shouldn't feel bad cos u no its going to happen but it doesn't stop you from feeling bad

we should feel bad about things that we caused to happen, could have prevented from happening etc but we shouldn't always feel bad about thins that we could not have changed cos it would happen anyway so in feeling bad about it you're not going to undo the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    Evolutionarily speaking, feeling bad about "bad" things is key to a successful large society
    Can you elaborate on that?.

What I mean is that feeling bad about something is judging it to be "bad", but ultimately it's just something that happened, like all other things that happen, or in other words all things are ultimately neutral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinciVe.)
    Can you elaborate on that?.

What I mean is that feeling bad about something is judging it to be "bad", but ultimately it's just something that happened, like all other things that happen, or in other words all things are ultimately neutral.
    Feeling bad about things is tied to feelings of empathy, which prevents people killing, stealing etc,. Even things you haven't done that were "bad" e.g 9/11 may reinforce your sense of empathy both directly and indirectly through strengthening the sense of belonging to the pack.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling bad about things is tied to feelings of empathy, which prevents people killing, stealing etc,. Even things you haven't done that were "bad" e.g 9/11 may reinforce your sense of empathy both directly and indirectly through strengthening the sense of belonging to the pack.
    Yeah, I guess you are right.

If we didn't feel bad about anything we'd all be psycopaths.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess you are right.

If we didn't feel bad about anything we'd all be psycopaths.
    And that wouldn't be a nice world to live in, even with flawed solutions like laws and religions

ReputationRep:
    And that wouldn't be a nice world to live in, even with flawed solutions like laws and religions
    Yeah but sometimes I do want to feel like a "psycopath" in a sense and not feel bad about anything.
    I am not talking about murder/theft or all those horrible things which I will never do.

I mean "feeling bad" or "awkward" which in this case are the same about the little things like approaching attractive girls or talking in public.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but sometimes I do want to feel like a "psycopath" in a sense and not feel bad about anything.
    I am not talking about murder/theft or all those horrible things which I will never do.

I mean "feeling bad" or "awkward" which in this case are the same about the little things like approaching attractive girls or talking in public.
    Well, that's more about fear of rejection from the pack, you just need to try those things more and maybe adopt a semi-nihilistic attitude, because nothing you say to those attractive girls or people in public really matters in the long term, and your mistakes will generally be forgotten. You think about how people interpret you a lot more than other people think about you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's more about fear of rejection from the pack, you just need to try those things more and maybe adopt a semi-nihilistic attitude, because nothing you say to those attractive girls or people in public really matters in the long term, and your mistakes will generally be forgotten. You think about how people interpret you a lot more than other people think about you.
    Yeah.
    And the reason these rejections / failures/ mistakes will not matter is that because we are all going to die eventually?.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.
    And the reason these rejections / failures/ mistakes will not matter is that because we are all going to die eventually?.
    Mostly, but you'll also learn from them, as well as get a better emotional intelligence and become a better person because of them
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I mean ultimately things that happen are just things that happen.
    Then why should feel bad about anything?.
    It depends what kind of 'bad' you're talking about really. Are you talking about guilt over hurting people, feeling upset over thing that have happened, or just any bad feeling in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    It depends what kind of 'bad' you're talking about really. Are you talking about guilt over hurting people, feeling upset over thing that have happened, or just any bad feeling in general?
    All of the above.
    Any bad feeling whatsoever

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.