The Student Room Group

People doing essay based subjects at A level...

Sometimes I get the feeling that I am utterly crap at essays...

How did you get your essays from D/E standard up towards A grade standard?
State your subject and revision technique please...
Learn how to write them (plenty of books and guides out there) and then practice. Take note of your teachers comments and advice.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Learn how to write them (plenty of books and guides out there) and then practice. Take note of your teachers comments and advice.

You see that, vague f****** answers. I really don't have time for sarcasm.

I meant - how many extra essays they did...structure
Original post by MajorFader
You see that, vague f****** answers. I really don't have time for sarcasm.

I meant - how many extra essays they did...structure

Wow what an ingrate. How was I being sarcastic?

There is a methodology for constructing essays and people understand that.
They write good essays by following that+ understanding the subject+ practice.
If you want to understand the difference between grades, then you should look at the mark schemes for your subjects whicch detail what they are looking for at each grade and some of the model answers. You can then compare those with what you produce.

How many essays? It will depend on how good you are, but surely the measure is you need to do enough to improve to get the grades you require. That means keep doing them till you hit the grade and give yourself plenty of time to move from D/E territory to A. That means working with your teacher and getting feedback is important as they can point out what the weaknesses are. . D/e to C will be easier, then B and A will depend on knowing your subject and style. Focus on the basics first. Practice and exam papers are importnat becayse you need to get used to understanding whats being asked and familiar with various ways they can ask the same question.

That methodology should work.
Reply 4
You just need to find out what the teacher wants from you, all you need to do then is churn out essays in a formulaic, box-ticking way.

So.

- introduction (outline argument, set criteria, define bits of question)
- point 1 (mini-into, point, evidence, explanation, analysis, mini-conclusion)
- point 2 (mini-into, point, evidence, explanation, analysis, mini-conclusion)
- point 3 (mini-into, point, evidence, explanation, analysis, mini-conclusion)
- conclusion (mini-intro, state opposing argument, why it's good, then say why it's isn't, use your main argument, no new bits of info here)

Analysis should also contain a counterargument and why that counterargument isn't enough to change your opinion.

If your revise and do this, you're guaranteed top marks.
Reply 5
For history, another good bit on analysis is to imagine if a factor was not present.

For example...

Q: did Hitler rise to power because of economic chaos?

part of your analysis could be to say if that factor was not present, Hitler *may* have not become Chancellor.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Wow what an ingrate. How was I being sarcastic?

There is a methodology for constructing essays and people understand that.
They write good essays by following that+ understanding the subject+ practice.
If you want to understand the difference between grades, then you should look at the mark schemes for your subjects whicch detail what they are looking for at each grade and some of the model answers. You can then compare those with what you produce.

How many essays? It will depend on how good you are, but surely the measure is you need to do enough to improve to get the grades you require. That means keep doing them till you hit the grade and give yourself plenty of time to move from D/E territory to A. That means working with your teacher and getting feedback is important as they can point out what the weaknesses are. . D/e to C will be easier, then B and A will depend on knowing your subject and style. Focus on the basics first. Practice and exam papers are importnat becayse you need to get used to understanding whats being asked and familiar with various ways they can ask the same question.

That methodology should work.

Much better, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest