Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Self-explanatory title, I have a teacher for a subject who keeps marking my work down by a few grades. This has happened a few times now and it only really happens to me, as everyone else's grades are improving.

I'm predicted A* and I was on mostly A, some A* last year, but now we're in to the second year of the course all I'm getting are Cs on most. Nobody else's work is being harshly marked and my peers have looked over it and said they think my marks are oddly low and should be higher.

On top of this, she's a bit sarcastic with me at the things I say and not always the kindest. I get the vibe she's a bit mocking, she often makes some 'jokey' personal remarks and examples of my work to show others what not to do etc. The thing is, because she says things with a smile on her face, they could be taken either way really. It doesn't hurt me deeply or anything but it has started to knock me and make me feel like I can't do the subject, when I was near top of the class last year with my other teachers.

Any advice anyone?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The next time you get marks you don't think you deserve maybe ask the teacher what you can do to improve or how you can go up from where it is. It certainly isn't right for her to make personal remarks or use your work as an example of what not to do. Is there someone at school you can talk to about this? Could you parents get involved?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try and make a copy of your homework using a scanner or you could write a copy and hand it in to another teacher that teachers the same subject and get enough data to prove that she is marking you lower then other teachers. There are probably more ways you can conduct this kind of testing but your best way to go is try and get parents involved , speak to other teachers , speak to the principal or head of year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethistu7)
    Self-explanatory title, I have a teacher for a subject who keeps marking my work down by a few grades. This has happened a few times now and it only really happens to me, as everyone else's grades are improving.

I'm predicted A* and I was on mostly A, some A* last year, but now we're in to the second year of the course all I'm getting are Cs on most. Nobody else's work is being harshly marked and my peers have looked over it and said they think my marks are oddly low and should be higher.

On top of this, she's a bit sarcastic with me at the things I say and not always the kindest. I get the vibe she's a bit mocking, she often makes some 'jokey' personal remarks and examples of my work to show others what not to do etc. The thing is, because she says things with a smile on her face, they could be taken either way really. It doesn't hurt me deeply or anything but it has started to knock me and make me feel like I can't do the subject, when I was near top of the class last year with my other teachers.

Any advice anyone?
    Well I've had a teacher who picked me out of the class and said I'm going to fail my exams... tbh it was only gcse and I did infact end up passing. The best way to go about it would be to just get on with. Grin and bear as it's said. If you confront a teacher with bad attitude it might only get worse. Perhaps speak to the head of the department privately and anonymously and show them example of how you've been marked lower.

ReputationRep:
    Before you hand in a piece of work photocopy it give it to another teacher and compare the other teachers marks with your own teacher, then go to the head and use it as evidence to get that b**** fired.

ReputationRep:
    Get another teacher to mark it and see what they think?

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good idea - I'd worry though that it would be undermining the teacher and her abilities if I took it to another teacher?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.