Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weight watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I weighed myself the other day and I have managed to lose weight even though I have been eating more :confused: . This could due to increased moving about as I am working over the summer (instead of being a lazy student). I am 19, male and am 5,10 in height with a small build. I weighed in at 8 stone 4lbs, apparently I am 2 stone under weight :eek: . I am slim, but don't look unhealthy skinny. I eat well, always having 3 meals a day with snacks in-between, and have a large dinner. I also exercise (swimming once a week and sit ups everyday). I'm pretty toned but would like to be a bit bigger.
    I just wondered what foods could I eat (that aren't gonna give me heart disease lol) to put on weight. I know this is a weird place to post, but u guys seem very knowledgeable. I looked around for a book on healthy ways to increase weight and couldn't find any. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    What is your BMI?

I guess carbohydrates from healthy foods can make you put on weight, but it's your metabolism which will affect this to some degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I weighed myself the other day and I have managed to lose weight even though I have been eating more :confused: . This could due to increased moving about as I am working over the summer (instead of being a lazy student). I am 19, male and am 5,10 in height with a small build. I weighed in at 8 stone 4lbs, apparently I am 2 stone under weight :eek: . I am slim, but don't look unhealthy skinny. I eat well, always having 3 meals a day with snacks in-between, and have a large dinner. I also exercise (swimming once a week and sit ups everyday). I'm pretty toned but would like to be a bit bigger.
    I just wondered what foods could I eat (that aren't gonna give me heart disease lol) to put on weight. I know this is a weird place to post, but u guys seem very knowledgeable. I looked around for a book on healthy ways to increase weight and couldn't find any. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
    fivebyfive
    :eek: someone else with the same problem as me! everyone always tells me i have lost weight whenever they see me. im not disgustingly skinny either, and i eat properly. a friend told me that massive water loss also causes weight loss, but im not a sweat machine. please tell me when you find out the answer!

ReputationRep:
    i'm 19 and need to put on some weight as well, although i may just wait until the metabolism starts drifting a few years down the line!

anyway, http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts..._65988,00.html

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem - I'm 6 foot and under 10 stone (I'm not sure exactly) and that's including clothes. I'm thinking of trying to eat 5-6 times a day, and filling up before I go to bed, or even trying some of those 500 calories each supplement drinks things. I'm a bit clueless really.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of us are working on a bodybuilding guide at the moment, just wait until we post that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I have the same problem - I'm 6 foot and under 10 stone (I'm not sure exactly) and that's including clothes. I'm thinking of trying to eat 5-6 times a day, and filling up before I go to bed, or even trying some of those 500 calories each supplement drinks things. I'm a bit clueless really.
    you are under 10 stone?? thats fine for me! im 6!

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem - I'm 6 foot and under 10 stone (I'm not sure exactly) and that's including clothes.
    i'm 6 foot 1, and 13.5 stone - and i thought that was underweight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i'm 6 foot 1, and 13.5 stone - and i thought that was underweight!
    no, i can assure you its not. if it is, it will only be by a miniscule amount. dont worry! i would love to be as tall as you btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    no, i can assure you its not. if it is, it will only be by a miniscule amount. dont worry! i would love to be as tall as you btw
    tall girls are intimidating!

ReputationRep:
    tall girls are intimidating!
    hehe, i guess. most of them end up being 6 foot after stepping into those heels :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    hehe, i guess. most of them end up being 6 foot after stepping into those heels :rolleyes:
    at least heels can be taken off when you need to bend down to load the dishwasher..

ReputationRep:
    at least heels can be taken off when you need to bend down to load the dishwasher..
    i did that just a minute ago! i know what you mean though. i saw this giantess in town the other day and couldnt help gawping. i think its ridiculous seeing as she would look wrong with a normal sized husband!
    bless, i guess its not her fault :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But your BMI is 19 I'm sure you said before. It's not too low, plus BMI isn't 100%. Unless you're taking action so it doesn't fall any further.

Eating before going to bed is perhaps a better idea. No idea what you could eat. Chocolate, doughnuts, cheese or something with a lot of fat in them.

ReputationRep:
    i'm 19 and need to put on some weight as well, although i may just wait until the metabolism starts drifting a few years down the line!

anyway, http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts..._65988,00.html
    Thanks that site was very useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    What is your BMI?

I guess carbohydrates from healthy foods can make you put on weight, but it's your metabolism which will affect this to some degree.
    Just found a web site that does it for you, my BMI 16.8 which is under the recommend. Do u think it would be a waste of my/his time to see my Doctor about this?

ReputationRep:
    Just found a web site that does it for you, my BMI 16.8 which is under the recommend. Do u think it would be a waste of my/his time to see my Doctor about this?
    16.8 I'd say yes see a doctor. If it was 19 like myself and a few other users here than no, but in your case yes. Don't worry about wasting the doctor's time, if you don't see him it will may get worse, which is both bad for you and the doctor. I did this, though not with my weight, and this is typical of males in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me that site please? i want to know what mine is

ReputationRep:
    Basically the only factor with this is your opinion... it seems your happy with your weight and appearence the only thing that is bothering you is the numbers.

If you actually want to change your appearence through training and need help then you are more then welcome to pm me... or alternativly wait until we sort this guide out.

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me that site please? i want to know what mine is
    sure its http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.