Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone!

My left ear has been completely blocked for about a week now. unable to hear a thing out of it and my right ear is half blocked too. It's extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.

I have been using Otex ear drops for the around 3 days but it hasn't helped at all, if anything i feel my ear has got even more blocked.

Before someone says 'we can't help you we're not doctors' or 'go and see a doctor'; my question is, has anyone ever experienced this or has any home remedies that I have not tried helped you?? I just don't want to go to the GP if there is something I could be doing at home. I can't get to a doctor until Monday anyway.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone!

My left ear has been completely blocked for about a week now. unable to hear a thing out of it and my right ear is half blocked too. It's extremely uncomfortable and frustrating.

I have been using Otex ear drops for the around 3 days but it hasn't helped at all, if anything i feel my ear has got even more blocked.

Before someone says 'we can't help you we're not doctors' or 'go and see a doctor'; my question is, has anyone ever experienced this or has any home remedies that I have not tried helped you?? I just don't want to go to the GP if there is something I could be doing at home. I can't get to a doctor until Monday anyway.

Thanks!
    It's happened to me a few times now. The longest its ever lasted for me is about a week. Ive done various home remedies, like ear drops or salt but I'm not sure if they helped or not. It just sort of went away on its own. I think because it's been a week now, then I think it's best to wait for the doctors opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!
    I have a similar problem at the moment, both my ears are partially blocked. If you put a few drops of olive oil in before you go to sleep, then a bit of cotton wool in the outside bit of the ear to stop it leaking out it helps soften up any debris and makes clearing them out easier. I use a specific one called Earol as it is really good, that was recommended by my GP.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the slightly warm olive oil seems to do the trick and it feels pretty good coming out

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Thanks!
    Olive oil eardrops should do the trick.
    Do you use cotton buds ?

ReputationRep:
    Putting lots of drops of things in the ear can lead to a fungal infection.

Your doctor will be able to take a sample of the gunk in your ear to determine how to treat it. You won't know what's best to do until you actually know what's causing the blocked sensation.

(Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Putting lots of drops of things in the ear can lead to a fungal infection.

Your doctor will be able to take a sample of the gunk in your ear to determine how to treat it. You won't know what's best to do until you actually know what's causing the blocked sensation.
    Hi, Doctor took one look at it and yep, definitely wax lol! Had them syringed immediately and all clear now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.