Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

co-ed vs single sex Watch

• View Poll Results: Are co-ed or single sex schools better?
    Co-ed
    79.14%
    Single sex
    20.86%

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise single gender schools still existed until university.

I'm amazed its even legal tbh - imagine if a university or job declared itself 'men only'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiran.malik123)
    Haha you seem pretty bitter to me, you're literally proving my point by being a *****. Why would I get upset by that, you're irrelevant to me i don't care what you think of me. I commented my opinion on this thread and if that got your panties in a twist that's your problem not mine. People usually get defensive if something is true so the only reason you're offended is because you probably are a ***** and my comment probably stung a bit because you think it's true.
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    I'm bitter about being bullied because I'm arguing with you. Logic.

Idc whether you think I'm *****y or not-that would actually be kind of a compliment.

No, I just hate your attitude, and the fact that you call people out for acting the same way is laughable.

You're clearly offended, hence the long paragraph of 'I don't care about you' etc, etc.

Well done for proving my point.
    Funny how one of you is *****ing about *****y girls then the other one is *****ing about girls being called *****y. You're both as *****y as each other tbh, otherwise you wouldn't be going at it like that :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Funny how one of you is *****ing about *****y girls then the other one is *****ing about girls being called *****y. You're both as *****y as each other tbh, otherwise you wouldn't be going at it like that :holmes:
    I never said I wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    I really don't see the point of all boys/all girls school.
    You don't get single sex jobs (mostly) or single sex university courses so why make such a big deal out of children getting education together?
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    I never said I wasn't.
    And I never said you never said you weren't.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And I never said you never said you weren't.

Is there a reason for all your red gems?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    To stop gender stereotypes from developing too early too strongly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38717926

Even before this research now, there were studies showing girls are much more likely to take STEM subjects at an all girls school then at a co-ed.

If I ever have girls, I will put them in an all girls school if at all possible.
    that is a fair point.
    However, I don't think its the co-ed or single-sex school system that is to blame here.
    Gender stereotypes arise (IMO) primarily due to bad parenting. Mothers raise their daughter to be 'good wives and mothers' and their sons to be 'rich heart-throbs'. Kids go to school with bad attitude already.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the best way would be a single-sex learning environment but say clubs and social activities with a twinned opposite sex school? I realise that this might not be logistical but could be beneficial if it worked.

ReputationRep:
    I voted single sex on impulse because my all-girls secondary school was actually pretty good. Good grades, no drama, no bullies, everyone got on well with each other.

That being said, I didn't make very many friends. I need a balance of both boys and girls, so I think I would have been much happier in a co-ed school.

Not really, I just disagree with you stereotyping people like this.

Prey tell, do you just hang around with guys because they create less drama? :rolleyes:
    I love your "Special Snowflake Syndrome" detector, lmao.

ReputationRep:

Idc whether you think I'm *****y or not-that would actually be kind of a compliment.

No, I just hate your attitude, and the fact that you call people out for acting the same way is laughable.

You're clearly offended, hence the long paragraph of 'I don't care about you' etc, etc.

Just **** off lol you proved my point completely by *****ing at me for no reason. I'm not offended at all I just find you pathetic af. I'm not wasting anymore time arguing with you anyway so bye ***** have a nice life.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh only people who have gone to both have an opinion that's actual worth contributing. Other people would just be guessing.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just **** off lol you proved my point completely by *****ing at me for no reason. I'm not offended at all I just find you pathetic af. I'm not wasting anymore time arguing with you anyway so bye ***** have a nice life.
    Aww, bye love.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    I voted single sex on impulse because my all-girls secondary school was actually pretty good. Good grades, no drama, no bullies, everyone got on well with each other.

That being said, I didn't make very many friends. I need a balance of both boys and girls, so I think I would have been much happier in a co-ed school.

I love your "Special Snowflake Syndrome" detector, lmao.
    It was definitely active today.

ReputationRep:

Is there a reason for all your red gems?
    Is there a reason for all your green gems?

You are definitely offended :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason for all your green gems?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Well it's not like there wouldn't be a reason...

Unless you were asking specifically what the reason was... But I'll leave it up to you since you're a highly regarded rep scrounger 'political ambassador'.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not like there wouldn't be a reason...

Unless you were asking specifically what the reason was... But I'll leave it up to you since you're a highly regarded rep scrounger 'political ambassador'.
    How am I a 'rep scrounger'? Am I 'taking all your reps'? :lol:

I just like giving my point of view.

Could ask you the reason for your red gems?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has been to both co-ed and all girls' schools, I can say that co-ed schools are better for me. It depends on the student, though. However, the choice for someone to go to a single sex school is almost always made by the parent, and this can be harmful in some cases, including some that I've seen. I experience gender dysphoria, and being made to wear a skirt (my old school had no trouser option) and constantly being referred to as a girl (usually by teachers trying to get our attention by saying 'girls' or 'ladies') was seriously detrimental to my mental health. For straight, cisgender, neurotypical students, same-sex schools can be brilliant. What I also found, however, was that there was a large stigma against mental health, disability and homosexuality.

ReputationRep:

Hahha this kinda proves her point lmao

ReputationRep:
    How am I a 'rep scrounger'? Am I 'taking all your reps'? :lol:

I just like giving my point of view.

Could ask you the reason for your red gems?
    You are. I cry myself to sleep each night, knowing I will never live up to your greatness. In fact, most nights I don't even sleep.

And, if you must know, I accumulated these red gems from butthurt users back in the good ol' days of 'neg-repping' but of course you're far too young to know what I'm talking about. Isn't it past your bedtime, young'un?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.