Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hogwarts for grown-ups Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else watching The Magicians? Season 2 just premiered yesterday. It's about a group of students going to a university for magic. The magical world of this show is much darker and grittier than, say, Harry Potter. Some of it is downright scary. But it's also got some hilarious moments too. Well worth checking out.

(Original post by AlexanderHam)
      Is anyone else watching The Magicians? Season 2 just premiered yesterday. It's about a group of students going to a university for magic. The magical world of this show is much darker and grittier than, say, Harry Potter. Some of it is downright scary. But it's also got some hilarious moments too. Well worth checking out.

I'm going to jump on the old bandwagon now, and you're not going to like it.

Read the books. They're amazing. I read each one when they were newly out, and they were truly, totally, aweome, and when I spoke to the author I found him really nice and down-to-earth, and he was really encouraging to me about my own writing.

When I found out they were making a TV series based on it, I nearly came in my shorts, I was so excited. I waited two years to watch it, and then... it was crap. Utter garbage. Each episode is a complete train-wreck, and I only watched each consecutive episode of the first season to see if they'd be able to recover. Now they're so far from the plot that I don't know what the **** the series is about.

What was, in the books, a group of intelligent young people who had a great gift which took away life's value, to a point where they just got wasted all the time and then wound up going on this great adventure by accident, has been made into a TV series about a group of emo twatcakes who just wander around not knowing their arse from a hole in the ground.

Sack the TV series off and read the books. Seriously. It's so much more than harry Potter for grown-ups. There's that, yes, but there's sex, drugs, and Narnia, and actual character development. And Penny's an autistic punk, not an Indian guy with a chip on his shoulder.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      When I found out they were making a TV series based on it, I nearly came in my shorts, I was so excited. I waited two years to watch it, and then... it was crap. Utter garbage. Each episode is a complete train-wreck, and I only watched each consecutive episode of the first season to see if they'd be able to recover. Now they're so far from the plot that I don't know what the **** the series is about.
      You remind me of Game of Thrones book readers who say the series is crap. In reality, Game of Thrones is a superb television show. What's happening is that they are so invested in the books that any deviation from the plot is perceived as a negative, rather than simply a valid reinterpretation and a creation of a standalone work of art.

The Magicians isn't on the level of Game of Thrones, but it is a good TV show. The critical reception of the show is, in my view, correct; it's a solid show and it explores something that hasn't been seen on TV before in a compelling and innovative manner. The critical reception for season 2 is even better than season 1, and I'm looking forward to it.

And Penny's an autistic punk
      Maybe it's just a de gustibus issue, but I don't find the concept of "autistic punk" particularly groundbreaking or amazing.

ReputationRep:
      Could be fun|

ReputationRep:
      on my to watch. The librarians is pretty good too

ReputationRep:

:rofl::toofunny:

ReputationRep:
      You remind me of Game of Thrones book readers who say the series is crap. In reality, Game of Thrones is a superb television show. What's happening is that they are so invested in the books that any deviation from the plot is perceived as a negative, rather than simply a valid reinterpretation and a creation of a standalone work of art.
      There are some seriously lacklustre parts of GOT though. I'm a huge fan, but parts of it were terrible particularly in Season Five. And I will never forgive David and Dan for what they did to Stannis' character.

ReputationRep:
      What is games of thrones about? Seems kinda boring to me

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ilikeharrypotter)
      What is games of thrones about? Seems kinda boring to me
      How much of it have you watched?

Game of Thrones is an exceptionally good show; there are reasons why it has received universal acclaim from TV critics, has a massive fanbase and global following and is a touchstone of 2010s pop culture. It's not a coincidence that all these people think it's a great show; they think it's great because it is great.

ReputationRep:
      I'm going to jump on the old bandwagon now, and you're not going to like it.

Read the books. They're amazing. I read each one when they were newly out, and they were truly, totally, aweome, and when I spoke to the author I found him really nice and down-to-earth, and he was really encouraging to me about my own writing.

What was, in the books, a group of intelligent young people who had a great gift which took away life's value, to a point where they just got wasted all the time and then wound up going on this great adventure by accident, has been made into a TV series about a group of emo twatcakes who just wander around not knowing their arse from a hole in the ground.

Sack the TV series off and read the books. Seriously. It's so much more than harry Potter for grown-ups. There's that, yes, but there's sex, drugs, and Narnia, and actual character development. And Penny's an autistic punk, not an Indian guy with a chip on his shoulder.
      Strong "look at me I'm a writer" post.

ReputationRep:
      You can never get too old for Hogwarts:nutcase:

(Original post by SmashConcept)
        Strong "look at me I'm a writer" post.
        Mentioning that I'm a writer was a by-the-by, Lev is a very nice, encouraging person and had a big hand in giving me the confidence to get my first novel done.

My post was, in case you weren't paying attention, about how the TV series is nothing like the books it purports itself to be based on, and while it's a good series to watch in its own right, shouldn't be taken as being related to those books.

If I wanted to go 'look at me I'm a writer,' I would have written loads about how I wouldn't be prepared to sell rights to my work to someone who was going to carve it up and make a mockery out of it.

ReputationRep:
        Mentioning that I'm a writer was a by-the-by, Lev is a very nice, encouraging person and had a big hand in giving me the confidence to get my first novel done.

My post was, in case you weren't paying attention, about how the TV series is nothing like the books it purports itself to be based on, and while it's a good series to watch in its own right, shouldn't be taken as being related to those books.

If I wanted to go 'look at me I'm a writer,' I would have written loads about how I wouldn't be prepared to sell rights to my work to someone who was going to carve it up and make a mockery out of it.
        FYI nobody cares that the series isn't the same as the books just like nobody cares that you've met the writer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.