Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I am a year 12 student and for my A-levels I'm doing Chemistry, Psychology and History. I'm interested in pursuing a career in dentistry and have organised some work experience. However, as I didn't do Biology A-level (due to getting a C at GCSE) I realised this is a huge downfall for me as every University I have looked at requires Biology and Chemistry for Dentistry. I thought perhaps if I start A-level Biology during Year 13 alongside the other 3 and then complete it during an extra year in Sixth form , I would maybe have a chance but I am just so confused and feel I have made the wrong decisions. I was also thinking during the 3rd year of sixth form when I'm just doing Biology A-level I will resit Biology Gcse. I know this seems so long and confusing as I got such a low grade at Gcse but I am working so much harder and have much more motivation and feel I have the ability to do well.
    I would appreciate any advice on what I can do and whether this idea of mine is practical and has a chance of working.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    course over interests.

Hey
      Before making a decision, I would first ask if it's possible to resit GCSE Bio at the same time as doing A Level Bio. They may not let you. I would also check whether the uni's accept resits as I know some of them are very particular about things like that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with it though. If everything comes back clear, I'd say go for it if that's really what you want to do. Don't have any regrets. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Im285)
      Hey
      Before making a decision, I would first ask if it's possible to resit GCSE Bio at the same time as doing A Level Bio. They may not let you. I would also check whether the uni's accept resits as I know some of them are very particular about things like that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with it though. If everything comes back clear, I'd say go for it if that's really what you want to do. Don't have any regrets. Hope this helps.
      Thank you for your response. Yes, I see where your coming from and I will try doing some more research .

ReputationRep:
      Can you enter for gcse biology this summer?

ReputationRep:
      I'm not sure about that.

ReputationRep:
      Don’t do the third year. Most dentistry universities state they want their applicants to have achieved all their necessary grades within the two year period (year 12 and year 13). They wont accept anyone who has spread it over 3 years. I would just apply without biology. It is a disadvantage not to do biology but it doesn’t mean it cancels your application out. Im sure some who have had top grades and good admission test scores with good work experience have got offers before without biology.
      o�@?�%s�

ReputationRep:
      Thank you for your response. I understand what you mean. If I were to apply for Dentistry, one of my main choices would be Leeds. They don't specify anything on their website about doing 3 years.
      Also, a quick question . Why do you think it's better to not do Biology and apply with chemistry and the other two rather than another year? I would appreciate your opinion .
      (Original post by teukwonjae707)
      Don’t do the third year. Most dentistry universities state they want their applicants to have achieved all their necessary grades within the two year period (year 12 and year 13). They wont accept anyone who has spread it over 3 years. I would just apply without biology. It is a disadvantage not to do biology but it doesn’t mean it cancels your application out. Im sure some who have had top grades and good admission test scores with good work experience have got offers before without biology.
      o�@?�%s�

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FAM29)
      Thank you for your response. I understand what you mean. If I were to apply for Dentistry, one of my main choices would be Leeds. They don't specify anything on their website about doing 3 years.
      Also, a quick question . Why do you think it's better to not do Biology and apply with chemistry and the other two rather than another year? I would appreciate your opinion .

I didn’t apply to Leeds so I don’t know what they require but at London dental universities like King’s and QMUL they require you to complete all your A2 grades within a 2 year period. Just make sure Leeds don’t have the same limitation on your grades then in that case i would strongly recommend you take the year to complete biology as it is essentially a required subject by all applicants.However, the reason I said it would be better to apply without biology is because universities use your A2 grades to see whether you can handle the workload within the given time (2 years.) When you get into university they want to know you can complete all assignments within their set time period. Thus spreading it over 3 years may put you at a disadvantage. I know at King’s and QMUL they don’t accept those who have spread it over 3 years. Your situation isn’t desirable as biology is still a highly preferred subject after chemistry but im sure you can find a way somehow. If i'm being totally honest i would suggest you also find another course that may be more suited to your current A-levels. I have a friend who had to drop his dentistry application because he didn't do biology A-level and the universities he applied to didnt let him take another year to get a biology a level.

ReputationRep:
      Thank you for that! I contacted Leeds uni and they said they don't mind if A-levels are taken over 3 years but do mind A2 resits.
      If you don't mind me asking , what did you freind decide to do? And did they apply for dentistry whilst doing biology or did they just apply without it ?

(Original post by teukwonjae707)
      I didn’t apply to Leeds so I don’t know what they require but at London dental universities like King’s and QMUL they require you to complete all your A2 grades within a 2 year period. Just make sure Leeds don’t have the same limitation on your grades then in that case i would strongly recommend you take the year to complete biology as it is essentially a required subject by all applicants.However, the reason I said it would be better to apply without biology is because universities use your A2 grades to see whether you can handle the workload within the given time (2 years.) When you get into university they want to know you can complete all assignments within their set time period. Thus spreading it over 3 years may put you at a disadvantage. I know at King’s and QMUL they don’t accept those who have spread it over 3 years. Your situation isn’t desirable as biology is still a highly preferred subject after chemistry but im sure you can find a way somehow. If i'm being totally honest i would suggest you also find another course that may be more suited to your current A-levels. I have a friend who had to drop his dentistry application because he didn't do biology A-level and the universities he applied to didnt let him take another year to get a biology a level.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.