Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travel to sixth form? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If I was to go a sixth form which is two 10-20 min bus rides to it, would that hinder my learning?
    Also with have leave an hour earlier than usual and likewise coming back?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    I've always taken a 45 minute bus journey to school (I've continued on to the sixth form that is part of my secondary school) and I don't think it's ever hindered my learning. You get used to leaving that bit earlier pretty quickly.

If anything, with a bus it's quite easy to get a bit of extra study/reading in to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhmc16)
    I've always taken a 45 minute bus journey to school (I've continued on to the sixth form that is part of my secondary school) and I don't think it's ever hindered my learning. You get used to leaving that bit earlier pretty quickly.

If anything, with a bus it's quite easy to get a bit of extra study/reading in to be honest
    Thanks I'm just in a position atm where I've got schools between one sixth form (bus journey) and my schools sixth form where I'd have one friend who at the moment isn't kinda good so I don't know what to do :/ cause I love my mate to bits but I don't know

ReputationRep:
    I think now that you're a little older, you can afford to travel a bit more for your studies, provided it's worth the school you're going to. You can make the best of the journey listening to podcasts, reading books, flashcards, you name it.

Especially since now you'll have to make sure you're on time - a good skill to have later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)
    I think now that you're a little older, you can afford to travel a bit more for your studies, provided it's worth the school you're going to. You can make the best of the journey listening to podcasts, reading books, flashcards, you name it.

Especially since now you'll have to make sure you're on time - a good skill to have later on.
    Thanks I'm just in an awrkward position at the moment :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)

Thanks I'm just in an awrkward position at the moment :/

ReputationRep:
    If anything I find travelling further improves my learning.

When I lived in halls at university I only had a 5-10 minute walk to the campus. Half the time I showed up to close still half asleep and wasn't really paying attention. The following year I moved to a town an hour away (so that I could share a flat with my friend) and the train journey really woke me up in the morning and I actually felt ready to learn by the time I arrived.

Different circumstances, I still live an hour's train journey away from my college. My friends who don't travel so far always turn up dead telling me they've only been awake 30-60 minutes. Whereas I've usually been up two and a half hours by the time I arrive and am usually wide awake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethhmaii)
    Thanks I'm just in a position atm where I've got schools between one sixth form (bus journey) and my schools sixth form where I'd have one friend who at the moment isn't kinda good so I don't know what to do :/ cause I love my mate to bits but I don't know
    Would you prefer the actual environment (both in terms of buildings etc. and learning/teachers) of the other sixth form? Because honestly you are very likely to make new friends pretty quickly, as well as staying in touch with old ones.
    But if you think you'd be just as happy with either school, maybe it might be easier to stay with your friend and your original school/journey? Personally, I just didn't really fancy having to start over in a whole new school just for a year and a half of sixth form.
    Still, it's completely up to you and where you'd be happiest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhmc16)
    Would you prefer the actual environment (both in terms of buildings etc. and learning/teachers) of the other sixth form? Because honestly you are very likely to make new friends pretty quickly, as well as staying in touch with old ones.
    But if you think you'd be just as happy with either school, maybe it might be easier to stay with your friend and your original school/journey? Personally, I just didn't really fancy having to start over in a whole new school just for a year and a half of sixth form.
    Still, it's completely up to you and where you'd be happiest
    Suppose your right really it's not that long of a school life at sixth form before your off to uni 😀😀

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.