Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you went back in time, would there be two of you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So lets say you went back to last year, would there be two of you? if there are two of you what would happen if you two touched I mean how does time know is the same people from diffrent time spaces are in contact with each other, if there are two of you if you told the past you not to go back in time does that mean the version of you that currently exists gets erased somewhere, does that mean your consciousness gets transfered to past you or are you gone and another you becomes the main you again? does the old version of you remain in limbo? Is limbo real, where is limbo, is it for people who dont belong anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you perceive the flow of time.

ReputationRep:
    It's not clear that time travel to the past is possible. Paradoxes like those you've described are among the arguments for why it might not be. If time travel to the past is impossible, then the questions you ask simply don't have answers - not just unknowable answers but actually nonexistent answers.

It's important to remember though that the universe doesn't work on the level of people or consciousness, it works on the level of atoms and wavefunctions. It can't merge past you with current you, and touching your hand against its counterpart from a decade ago (which contained a completely different set of atoms) shouldn't cause anything special to happen. This is where sci-fi like Doctor Who often really bugs me, going back in time and saving your father from death is equivalent to going back in time and moving a rock or killing a spider or even just breathing.

ReputationRep:
    Wow please write a book, I think it would be very interesting to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas1947)
    Wow please write a book, I think it would be very interesting to read
    Haha thanks, but just open any fundamental physics textbook. When you start to get bored and wonder what any of this has to do with your day-to-day life, that's when you understand that the universe doesn't care about humans

ReputationRep:
    You would probably collide into your past self.

ReputationRep:
    If you traveled in time to the past and coexisted with your past you, nothing would actually happen (apart from your past you being a bit scared and surprised). However if you killed your past you, then things just go crazy. One theory says that it would create a paradox, another says that it would create a new timeline where you are dead. Nevertheless, all this is impossible unless we can prove that travelling backwards in time is possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the future, so no

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you watch The Flash CW if you are interested in this kinda stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emx_eco)
    I recommend you watch The Flash CW if you are interested in this kinda stuff
    Just googled it. I will thanks, Ive run out of stuff to watch and was wondering what I was gonna do when my X-Files marathon comes to an end :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.