Turn on thread page Beta

3rd Year mental health nurse. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ooh this all sounds so interesting! I've just had to drop out of uni because of my mental health and I'm thinking of reapplying to study mental health nursing next year (2018 entry) but the thing I worry about (worrys the wrong word I think) is that it'll be a lot of giving medication to patients and not a lot else? Like I want to be more involved in a therapy side of things? I always wanted to be a clinical psychologist or study post grad medicine so maybe psychology would be better for me, but at the same time I like the idea of it being more hands on with placements and stuff in the undergrad stuff if that makes sense? So so you do things like therapy based stuff or not? Bevjse I know someone who said that they basically restrained patients and IM'd them on their placements and that was it - it sounds nothing like what you've done with tribunal reports and CBT stuff which is much more what I want to do! Sorry for loads of questions s and probably a really rambled post :')

ReputationRep:
    Hope you're feeling better now. Its more than just doing meds, i work in forensic inpatients, you get less 'therapy' time than i'd actually like. Support workers get to spend more time with the patients than nurses as we always have a million other things to. I do however dedicate time to patients (ones who i have a good relationship with) and we get to talk about stuff. But it is a massive job.. restraint and im'ing is a part of it. Whilst on placement you shouldnt be restraining patients.. we're not insured to do so as students. I do managers hearing

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any recommendations of books? I’m starting my third year January and am stressing about my projects. What modules did you do? And is there any books you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys! I applied for mental nursing and I’ve been accepted by Middlesex at at the moment. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions please.1- How risky is it to be working as a mental nurse?2- How is the job market? Meaning that is it easy to find a job as a mental nurse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaylo94)
    Hello guys! I applied for mental nursing and I’ve been accepted by Middlesex at at the moment. I just wanted to ask a couple of questions please.1- How risky is it to be working as a mental nurse?2- How is the job market? Meaning that is it easy to find a job as a mental nurse?

Every job has risks, obviously working with people who aren’t mentally well can be unpredictable. I work as a mhnurse in a medium secure hospital, and yes there are soo many risks but its really not as bad as it seems! People can be impulsive, angry, really ill and some just down right horrible!
    Ive witnessed a lot of incidents, especially working with forensic patients but you have alarms, colleagues and sometimes other patients around. Management are also good, and you get taught Control & restraint very early on too. Even through the ups and downs i can honestly say never once have i thought i’m in the wrong job or that it is too risky, you get used to the environment.

Job wise, you won’t struggle! Everyone is hiring, there are nursing shortages around the UK. You just have to know where you wanna work, mine was always community, until i had a placement on a ward and have been on one ever since i graduated!
    Good luck!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello!
    Congratulations on your offer
    If you look at this article, it states that the employment for registered nurses will increase by 26% by 2020.
    https://nursejournal.org/mental-heal...areer-outlook/
    So yes, there are loads of jobs out there for you
    Do you have any specific question about the course?

Have a great day!
    Ludovica

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely something that needs to considered all times. Part of the job is assessing risk. Some environments are riskier than others, acute canbe quite risky because it has unwell people often without the staffing of PICU's/Secure Units people have told me. It's all about teamwork really, I never felt particularly at risk in any of my placements even though I've seen incidents.

I'm graduating this year and job hunting was painless for me, there is plenty of jobs around even if like me you don't want to move and only have access to public transport. But that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentMHN)
    It's definitely something that needs to considered all times. Part of the job is assessing risk. Some environments are riskier than others, acute canbe quite risky because it has unwell people often without the staffing of PICU's/Secure Units people have told me. It's all about teamwork really, I never felt particularly at risk in any of my placements even though I've seen incidents.

I'm graduating this year and job hunting was painless for me, there is plenty of jobs around even if like me you don't want to move and only have access to public transport. But that's just me.
    Thanks for the reply dear

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this thread is still open; but here goes...I have worked in mental health for almost ten years. My practice has been variable between forensics and acute. I had a few years prior to ward work, working in the community - dual diagnosis: learning disabilities and mental health. So, quite skilled I guess. I have finally bitten the bullet and decided to go from support staff, and go to university to do my mental health nurse training. It’s something I’ve contemplated for sometime; but financially this has always left me feeling ‘what if’ (needless to say you can’t think like this). Primary anxiety about how I’d survive being a mature student with commitments. However, my work (NHS) have agreed a flexible contract for me to aid this, couples with maintenance loans, I should be fine. My questions are:* what was the anatomy and physiology exam like? * medicines management/drug calculations, what were these like? * how were your assignments? Thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.