The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science A Level - Resource Guide

OCR Computer Science A Level
Resource Guide

This guide has resource information for the OCR Computer Science A Level H046, H446 (from 2015).

There are scarce resources for the new OCR Computer Science A Level and some are difficult to find if you have not been directed by your teacher. Therefore I have compiled a list of useful resources for anyone currently studying this course.

Textbooks

Hodder Education
This textbook is written by the same people who write the OCR examinations. However, I have found multiple errors in this book and the content is often too brief. I would still recommend taking a look at this resource as it is likely to give some indication as to what will be assessed in the examination.

PG Online
This textbook has much better content and is more accurate throughout. If you are looking for a good technical revision resource, I'd recommend this textbook highly.

Examination Papers

Computer Science - H046, H446 (from 2015)
There is one past paper and some specimen material papers.

Computing - H047, H447
Past papers. Many parts of the specification are the same or very similar to the OCR A Level Computer Science specification.

Revision

Craig 'n' Dave
Youtube revision videos mapped to the OCR Computer Science specification.

I hope you find this useful and please share any resources you have found as I am also studying the course. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been creating a memrise course for the OCR Computer Science A Level based off of the PG Online Textbook. Feel free to use it for revision and let me know if there are any mistakes :smile:

I'm also looking for other revision resources to use as well as this, so please do share any good ones people have found or created. Thank you!
Reply 2
Original post by Isy5
I've been creating a memrise course for the OCR Computer Science A Level based off of the PG Online Textbook. Feel free to use it for revision and let me know if there are any mistakes :smile:

I'm also looking for other revision resources to use as well as this, so please do share any good ones people have found or created. Thank you!

Hi. Could you please send a link to the memrise course you made?
Thank you!
Reply 3
Sorry, the link didn't seem to publish properly. Hopefully it will work this time :smile:

https://www.memrise.com/course/1211053/ocr-a-level-computer-science/
Original post by Isy5
Sorry, the link didn't seem to publish properly. Hopefully it will work this time :smile:

U sir/madam deserve a cookie for making this (y)
Reply 5
Original post by Isy5

Thank you so much for this
Original post by Isy5

Many thanks for this, a brilliant resource. Much appreciated!
Original post by Isy5

Thank you so much for this! Very helpful indeed :smile:
How is everyone feeling about the exam, and does anyone have any prediction and important stuff to know???
What do you think the grade boundaries will be? As it's a new spec normally it's quite low?
Reply 10
Original post by ChicGem6372
I don't know anything for tomorrow paper and I feel like I am going to do bad. I am really scared and nervous and I have like the rest of the day to revise.

My programming and psuedocode skills are really bad and now I am panicking on what to do. I am really confused on what to revise in like 8 hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't even think Psuedo code was going to come up in paper 1??!! I've just been revising unit 1.
Reply 11
Considering we have had the year of the new spec, how did people find it?
Reply 13
Original post by MattRob1nson
OCR Computer Science A Level
Resource Guide

This guide has resource information for the OCR Computer Science A Level H046, H446 (from 2015).

There are scarce resources for the new OCR Computer Science A Level and some are difficult to find if you have not been directed by your teacher. Therefore I have compiled a list of useful resources for anyone currently studying this course.

Textbooks

Hodder Education
This textbook is written by the same people who write the OCR examinations. However, I have found multiple errors in this book and the content is often too brief. I would still recommend taking a look at this resource as it is likely to give some indication as to what will be assessed in the examination.

PG Online
This textbook has much better content and is more accurate throughout. If you are looking for a good technical revision resource, I'd recommend this textbook highly.

Examination Papers

Computer Science - H046, H446 (from 2015)
There is one past paper and some specimen material papers.

Computing - H047, H447
Past papers. Many parts of the specification are the same or very similar to the OCR A Level Computer Science specification.

Revision

Craig 'n' Dave
Youtube revision videos mapped to the OCR Computer Science specification.

I hope you find this useful and please share any resources you have found as I am also studying the course. :smile:

So what you're saying is that the Hodder Education textbook is too brief? I am studying this A level by myself at home and I am using the Hodder Education book, what should I do? Should I stop using this book and use the PG Online book?
Reply 14
Any predictions to what might come up and might not on the paper 1 and paper 2?
Journey to A*----> EVERYONE CONTRIBUTE =MASSIVE BANK OF QUESTIONS :smile:

I've gone through the spec and the book and noted every sections topics & subtopics and making questions on every aspect of those topics. Join make questions do some questions and the probability of your grade will be going up! questions on every topic in computing like a massive bank covers every topic/subtopic section that mimic possible questions and would probably come up (paper 1 defo) that we could be asked. If you interested in joining tell me and the link to join is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kmW4v59UjG0q3sgp5PvB1JqQ96S91butp5xtYVWlX3Q/edit#gid=1089782527
Original post by litboy10

I've gone through the spec and the book and noted every sections topics & subtopics and making questions on every aspect of those topics. Join make questions do some questions and the probability of your grade will be going up! questions on every topic in computing like a massive bank covers every topic/subtopic section that mimic possible questions and would probably come up (paper 1 defo) that we could be asked. If you interested in joining tell me and the link to join is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kmW4v59UjG0q3sgp5PvB1JqQ96S91butp5xtYVWlX3Q/edit#gid=1089782527

Yh im intrested, it says i need permission to access tho,
Original post by Ahmed365
Yh im intrested, it says i need permission to access tho,

Yeah someone kept deleting stuff so I had to change the settings for access. I got the notification straight so hope you're in now. :smile:
Reply 18

This is AMAZING
Reply 19

This is great, thanks for sharing! How are people finding the best way to use this is just out of interest? Writing down the questions and then trying to answer them? Reading through the questions/answers then trying to recall them?

Quick Reply

Latest