Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to tell my flatmates I'm moving out Watch

I'm moving out of my accommodation to another flat because I realised I don't have enough money to pay for the rent. The new flat is much more cheaper than the one I'm living so I'm moving out. However I don't really get on with my flatmates and it's one of the reason I move out. I don't see them or talk to them often and I'm the one who left out. The thing is, should I tell my flatmates I'm moving out or not? It seems to be rude not telling them that I'm gonna move out but it's hard for me to say. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    It's better to tell them than not say anything at all, just tell them you don't have enough money and they will understand

ReputationRep:
    I left uni altogether and didn't tell my roommates until the next day (over whatsapp). It was just a basic 'to let you know.. then the reason'

Do what makes you feel comfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm moving out of my accommodation to another flat because I realised I don't have enough money to pay for the rent. The new flat is much more cheaper than the one I'm living so I'm moving out. However I don't really get on with my flatmates and it's one of the reason I move out. I don't see them or talk to them often and I'm the one who left out. The thing is, should I tell my flatmates I'm moving out or not? It seems to be rude not telling them that I'm gonna move out but it's hard for me to say. Any advice?
    Wow you are very lucky that someone took over your other contract for you to take out a new one.. Do what feels riff for you. I think you not being there or left might be a topic for a day or so, but they probably will find something better to talk about. Hopefully that will work out better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Jammie_x)
    Wow you are very lucky that someone took over your other contract for you to take out a new one.. Do what feels riff for you. I think you not being there or left might be a topic for a day or so, but they probably will find something better to talk about. Hopefully that will work out better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I'm lucky enough to move to somewhere cheaper and I don't need to find someone to take over my other contract because the uni can always find another person to move in. And yes I think it might be a topic for them to talk about but I don't care. haha
    • Very Important Poster

Just leave them a note to let them know saying you have decided to leave for financial reasons amd a good opportunity has arisen. You have sorted everything out with Uni and wish them well for the future. Short ans sweet. It stops them wondering. Start packing your stuff and do it when most/everyone is out. Move over in stages if need be.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Just leave them a note to let them know saying you have decided to leave for financial reasons amd a good opportunity has arisen. You have sorted everything out with Uni and wish them well for the future. Short ans sweet. It stops them wondering. Start packing your stuff and do it when most/everyone is out. Move over in stages if need be.
    That's a decent idea for me thank you I was thinking of the same thing, moving out when most/everyone is out to avoid awkwardness lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.