Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

President Trump advocates the use of Torture (again) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    The CIA themselves have concluded that torture does not work.
    When did they reach this conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe cooley)
    When did they reach this conclusion?

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/29/us...rt-fast-facts/

ReputationRep:
    Good. Make the terrorists suffer before killing em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Once again Trump makes a claim that is contrary to the findings of people who know what they are talking about, in this case intelligence experts who have found torture to be ineffective.

Should we really be surprised?
    Alternative fact?

ReputationRep:
    So, the CIA with a director appointed by Obama decided torture doesn't work.

No surprise there.

Obama like every other president, Trump included will put into position people who most reflect their political outlook and opinions.

Any public official whose job depends on the good will of the country's political leaders will say whatever he believes they want to hear.

Take it with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    So, the CIA with a director appointed by Obama decided torture doesn't work.
    just can't argue with Trump logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palmyra)
    just can't argue with Trump logic.
    Indeed, a lot of you seem sadly lacking in that department.

Could explain why the left are on the ropes all over the Western world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Waterboarding isn't torture.
    Apparently drowning is one of the most unpleasant ways to die so I'm not sure how you can really state that.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorists have sacrificed their human rights in my eyes so torture away.

ReputationRep:
    Could explain why the left are on the ropes all over the Western world.
    Trump really isn't all that right wing compared to some in the Republican Party. In fact I'd argue he only really advocated some policies like his anti-abortion stance to appeal to traditional Republican voters.

This is coming from someone who is right wing at least economically even if I am a bit more liberal on social issues.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tempest II)
    Apparently drowning is one of the most unpleasant ways to die so I'm not sure how you can really state that.
    They cant really back it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Trump really isn't all that right wing compared to some in the Republican Party. In fact I'd argue he only really advocated some policies like his anti-abortion stance to appeal to traditional Republican voters.

This is coming from someone who is right wing at least economically even if I am a bit more liberal on social issues.
    I'd tend to agree, Trump certainly is not a traditional rightwinger.

However, Trump has the left dazed and confused because he simply does not care what the politically correct think of him.

The PC crowd have held sway (left and so called right!) for so long that they simply can't cope when a target pushes back.

ReputationRep:
    However, Trump has the left dazed and confused because he simply does not care what the politically correct think of him.
    Of course he does. It's just a different political correctness.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Terrorists have sacrificed their human rights in my eyes so torture away.
    You mean terrorist suspects who have not necessarily been convicted of anything or even charged with any terrorism offences? Some of whom could be completely innocent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)

So how much would something like this set you back these days? £3000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    So how much would something like this set you back these days? £3000?
    dunno, the current one is £50 but includes more

ReputationRep:
    It could have its place in cases where it is difficult to obtain a conviction.

In cases of rape for instance many rapes do not end up with a conviction because it is hard to find evidence that the crime has been committed and so the victim never gets justice. But with techniques like waterboarding of the accused you may be able to find out what really happened and secure more convictions.

ReputationRep:
    £50
    Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Ouch.
    I bought an e-book from them once, was expecting a normal book, it was about 1/5 of a chapter...they are a bunch of *****, still, it's plastic crack and I'll never grow out of it

ReputationRep:
    still, it's plastic crack and I'll never grow out of it
    That makes me happy to hear, actually. WH40k was a huge part of my childhood and teen years. I got into it during 2nd edition, back when the standard price for a blister pack was £2 and you could get 5 Space Marines for a fiver. Of course the models weren't nearly as good, but I can't help but worry younger audiences (I was about 8 years old when I started) are being priced out of an amazing hobby.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.