Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

President Trump advocates the use of Torture (again) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Spoiler:
    Show

tbf it does work for them. Same they seemed quite rushed in the 40k Soulstorm expansion...glad to see DOW 3 is going back to more traditional RTS with larger battles. (I played a bit of warhammer as a young kid but no 40k, just the pc games)

I'm of the mind that if a member of ISIS knew something...I wouldn't morally be against torturing them to get it. It's more the fact you could be torturing someone innocent and despite in theory you thinking it's going to draw the truth, anyone will say anything to stop torture obviously. The whole ticking time bomb scenario doesn't even work because if the attack was absolutely imminent, they could just throw you a false bone which you have to investigate..which leads to nothing, in the meantime the attack has occurred.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not only has torture been proven not to work, it actually makes the job of preventing crime more difficult.
    When a person is being tortured they will say anything to make it stop, even though they don't have the information.

The CIA's investigation pointed to the fact that wrongful information obtained by torture wasted huge amounts of resources and time and ended up giving false information about Iraq having weapons of mass destruction. We all know how that ended up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    The whole ticking time bomb scenario doesn't even work because if the attack was absolutely imminent, they could just throw you a false bone which you have to investigate..which leads to nothing, in the meantime the attack has occurred.
    EXACTLY!

The whole ticking time bomb scenario is not possible in real life. You'd have to be 100% sure an attack was going to happen, 100% sure that the attack was imminent and 100% sure you had the right person who would give you the information you need to prevent the attack.

As you say, if it is a case of minutes or even hours, surely the person being tortured would just give them a false lead...

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for torture myself. We need to make use of every tactic possible to ensure we can get all the information we need out of possible terrorists, and to me torture seems the most effective.

Plus I don't get all the fuss about waterboarding - come on liberals, a little bit of water over the noggin won't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    I'm all for torture myself. We need to make use of every tactic possible to ensure we can get all the information we need out of possible terrorists, and to me torture seems the most effective.

Plus I don't get all the fuss about waterboarding - come on liberals, a little bit of water over the noggin won't do any harm.
    The big deal is that it's torture, and torture is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    It's nearly impossible to drown from waterboarding. It doesn't inflict any permanent damage, it's not torture, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    It's nearly impossible to drown from waterboarding. It doesn't inflict any permanent damage, it's not torture, calm down.
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-p-2009-05-01/

That's not what many investigations say.

ReputationRep:
    I know that if I was being threatened with torture, I would "confess" to anything that the torturer wanted to hear and any crime that I didn't do.

If "innocent until proven guilty" applies to Brown people from the Middle East and Asia as well, the majority of Gitmo prisoners are innocent. Most are being held there without having been given a trial first and only a few were actually captured by the US army. The rest were rounded up by corrupt, bounty seeking warlords. So Trump supports the torture of innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    No torture = terrorist win, always

ReputationRep:
    Waterboarding isn't torture,

After the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the 17 year old son of a Resistance family linked to the plot, Ate Moravek, was tortured for hours, but with unbelievable bravery and will power refused to talk. Then the Gestapo stupefied him with brandy and showed him the severed head of his mother in a fish tank and said his father would be next. He broke and told them what they wanted to know.

THAT is torture.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Waterboarding isn't torture,
    Troll.

If you don't think forcing someone to feel like they're drowning to death isn't torture then not much is...

What happened to you? You've gone from a decent poster with reasonable arguments to simply being a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately President Trump has made it quite clear, although he feels torture to be an effective method to gain intelligence he will follow the advice of military and various intelligence agencies regarding its use.

So good news snowflakes, looks like you Islamist chums are safe...........for now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.