Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand that everyone says the ISA's are the easy part of the 25% of your GCSE but that still doesn't stop me being incredibly anxious about it.

Does anyone have any tips for it, firsthand experience, either for revision or on the day?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    I understand that everyone says the ISA's are the easy part of the 25% of your GCSE but that still doesn't stop me being incredibly anxious about it.

Does anyone have any tips for it, firsthand experience, either for revision or on the day?

Thanks
    Hiya,

They aren't 'easy' but there are certain things that you can do to pretty much guarantee a high mark and make you feel less anxious.

-Listen to hints that your teacher gives you as they get the paper beforehand.
    -Look at the past papers as the questions are basically the same every year. Memorise the exact wording of each question to get full marks as they are very picky about key words.
    -Write as much as you can on your planning sheet without breaking the rules as this will take the pressure off you on the day.
    -Research briefly a real life application of the experiment you're doing and how your results could have an impact on this- there's always a question about this.
    -Learn your key words really well e.g. accuracy and precision and know how to improve them in your experiment.

Hope this helps- you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hiya,

They aren't 'easy' but there are certain things that you can do to pretty much guarantee a high mark and make you feel less anxious.

-Listen to hints that your teacher gives you as they get the paper beforehand.
    -Look at the past papers as the questions are basically the same every year. Memorise the exact wording of each question to get full marks as they are very picky about key words.
    -Write as much as you can on your planning sheet without breaking the rules as this will take the pressure off you on the day.
    -Research briefly a real life application of the experiment you're doing and how your results could have an impact on this- there's always a question about this.
    -Learn your key words really well e.g. accuracy and precision and know how to improve them in your experiment.

Hope this helps- you'll be fine
    Thanks! I will try my best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy0009)
    • Always put your data in the table to the same decimal place even 0 has to be 0.0 if to 1 d.p. and your averages/ calculations to the same decimal place or one decimal place more.
    • Always remember to put units in everything apart from the data in the table as the units should be in the headings.
    • In general always remember to put units down correctly, if you are talking about moles per a litre/ moldm-3, don't put dm-3 and miss out the word mol
    • Give data quotes with units in all questions that ask you to use your tables/graphs!

Graphs
    • Label your x and y axis on graphs with units, and correct headings from the table.
    • All points have to be dots not Xs unless it specifies to label something with an X in the paper. Other points relating to other catorgaries can be squares or triangles (i think) Make a key to label them!
    • The bars on bar charts cannot touch! and must have equal intervals!
    • The numbers on the x axis must be at equal intervals and the numbers on the y axis must be at equal intervals.
    • The line of best fit normally has to go through the origin and never goes past the last point
    • It can be a curve or straight line so long as it looks appropriate.
    • The numbers on the axis really ought to start at zero, even though it may be difficult to get accuraccy.
    • Accuraccy generally has to be + or - half the smallest square on the graph paper

All graphs, drawings, and tables must cover over 50% of the available space and be drawn in pencil with a ruler.
    • The table cannot be open! It must have ruled lines in columns, rows, and all the way around the table to form a box.

Drawings
    • Drawings have to be drawn with a continous line for each section, using a sharp pencil, no ruler, no overaps, no spaces in between sections as these indicate the original image has gaps containing nothing or cell membranes that overlap each other/itself
    • The drawings must take up at least half the available space!!!
    • Draw exactly the number of features the paper asks you to, if it says draw 3 particular cells, draw 3 of those cells!
    • Label at least 3 features, this time use a ruler. If the paper asks you to annotate your labels with descriptions, describe what the feature looks like, not what it does!
    Thank you!

I'm actually doing my ISA today so I'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.