Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I go to Bosworth Academy in Leicester . I was wondering if it is an added advantage if I did my A Level's in a Grammar school to apply to Cambridge University. Please can one advise me what they did in terms of getting into Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    i'm assuming you are in A-levels so i would honestly suggest staying at your current school. Mainly due to the fact that if u manage to get those top grades that Cambridge are looking for from a state school it will look more impressive than if it were at a grammar school. Oxbridge usually compare your results relative to the school you attended to so if u want the best chance of going there id stay. If obviously you feel like you wont do as well in a state school than you would at a grammar school by all means go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capsul)
    Hi , I go to Bosworth Academy in Leicester . I was wondering if it is an added advantage if I did my A Level's in a Grammar school to apply to Cambridge University. Please can one advise me what they did in terms of getting into Cambridge?
    As long as you get good enough grades context doesn't matter. They only look at context for exceptionally bad students with bad GCSEs but then picked themselves up at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    An added advantage if the standard of teaching is really good so you're likely to get good grades but that's about it. Getting good grades vs getting into Oxbridge are not the same thing as everyone who applies has good grades. There's plenty of very high achievers at non-selective state schools and Cambridge will not favour you because you attended a grammar school. It's not about what school you went to, it's about how good you are and how much you know about and love your subject. Going to a grammar school means nothing, they give offers based on meritocracy not based on what college you went to. My state college is non selective, and we get about 15 Oxbridge offers a year. It's about the individual, not the school. If you're smart enough and love your subject enough, you'll get in regardless of your sixth form. Good luck!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's not an "added advantage", no. What's important will be your A-level grades, not which school you went.

That said, if a candidate does very well *despite* going to a less good school that can play in their favour. In that sense, Cambridge pays attention to the context of an applicant's application.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ontextual-data

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what A-levels are you planning on taking?

Edit to add: I can see that Bosworth Academy has successfully sent students to Cambridge recently, so moving to a grammar won't necessarily "help" you that much. Your current school must be doing something right already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    An added advantage if the standard of teaching is really good so you're likely to get good grades but that's about it. Getting good grades vs getting into Oxbridge are not the same thing as everyone who applies has good grades. There's plenty of very high achievers at non-selective state schools and Cambridge will not favour you because you attended a grammar school. It's not about what school you went to, it's about how good you are and how much you know about and love your subject. Going to a grammar school means nothing, they give offers based on meritocracy not based on what college you went to. My state college is non selective, and we get about 15 Oxbridge offers a year. It's about the individual, not the school. If you're smart enough and love your subject enough, you'll get in regardless of your sixth form. Good luck!
    Thank you so much! I was under the impression that besidesgood teaching the Grammar Schools also encourage students to go for awards e.g C.G. Kiddell Bequest price for science which gives added advantage in the application.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I was under the impression that besidesgood teaching the Grammar Schools also encourage students to go for awards e.g C.G. Kiddell Bequest price for science which gives added advantage in the application.
    I've never heard of that, but there are plenty of opportunities at non selective schools. Awards and stuff mean nothing if you can't express how much you love your subject etc. It comes down to your passion for your subject and ability at the end of the day, not awards or prizes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's not an "added advantage", no. What's important will be your A-level grades, not which school you went.

That said, if a candidate does very well *despite* going to a less good school that can play in their favour. In that sense, Cambridge pays attention to the context of an applicant's application.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ontextual-data

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what A-levels are you planning on taking?

Edit to add: I can see that Bosworth Academy has successfully sent students to Cambridge recently, so moving to a grammar won't necessarily "help" you that much. Your current school must be doing something right already.
    Thank you for the link on Cambridge. How are you able to know Bosworth Academy has sent students to Grammar School?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't really make a difference either way. I'd just go with what you'd personally prefer.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It doesn't matter what school you go to they won't give you preference just because you went to a grammar school. I know a few people who went to a Community school and got into Cambridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank you for the link on Cambridge. How are you able to know Bosworth Academy has sent students to Grammar School?
    Not to grammar schools, they have specifically sent students to Cambridge.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.07.12.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  162.7 KB

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a..._2015_cyle.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Not to grammar schools, they have specifically sent students to Cambridge.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.07.12.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  162.7 KB

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a..._2015_cyle.pdf
    sorry, i meant Cambridge. Thanks for the info !
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    sorry, i meant Cambridge. Thanks for the info !
    No problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.