Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So recently I started reading H.L.A Hart's the concept of Law, and being as this is based around both Austin's positivism theory and Jeremy Bentham's morality based law view, which I profess to know little else about, I feel it necessary to read up on both authors. For Austin it is pretty simple, the province of jurisprudence determined being the obvious choice for reading up on, but for Bentham I'm a bit overwhelmed by his work and was wondering where best to start on it, bearing in mind I'm focused on the legal side it. Any advice would be welcomed, both on Bentham and Jurisprudence in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_77)
    Hi,
    So recently I started reading H.L.A Hart's the concept of Law, and being as this is based around both Austin's positivism theory and Jeremy Bentham's morality based law view, which I profess to know little else about, I feel it necessary to read up on both authors. For Austin it is pretty simple, the province of jurisprudence determined being the obvious choice for reading up on, but for Bentham I'm a bit overwhelmed by his work and was wondering where best to start on it, bearing in mind I'm focused on the legal side it. Any advice would be welcomed, both on Bentham and Jurisprudence in general.
    Hi Dave,

I've recently been reading Philosophy of Law: A Very Short Introduction. An absolutely fascinating book, jurisprudence is incredibly vagarious and not lucid whatsoever especially natural law theory. Bentham was certainly well ahead of his time especially with his views on morality-base law and utilitarianism and strike me as being incredibly prescient! There are some other amazing theories in the book as professed by Locke, Hobbes and many others. It's great to hear someone so passionate about Jurisprudence

ReputationRep:
    always helpful here is:
    https://plato.stanford.edu/search/se...?query=bentham

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Hey Dave,
    Reading Bentham's 'Introduction to Morals and Legislations' may be a good start. He outlines his ethical theories etc. Also looking at some Ethics textbooks will help you, if you look under chapters entitled 'Utilitarianism'.
    Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenBrooke)
    Hey Dave,
    Reading Bentham's 'Introduction to Morals and Legislations' may be a good start. He outlines his ethical theories etc. Also looking at some Ethics textbooks will help you, if you look under chapters entitled 'Utilitarianism'.
    Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much, I'll be sure to do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    always helpful here is:
    https://plato.stanford.edu/search/se...?query=bentham
    That is! Thanks you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBR247)
    Hi Dave,

I've recently been reading Philosophy of Law: A Very Short Introduction. An absolutely fascinating book, jurisprudence is incredibly vagarious and not lucid whatsoever especially natural law theory. Bentham was certainly well ahead of his time especially with his views on morality-base law and utilitarianism and strike me as being incredibly prescient! There are some other amazing theories in the book as professed by Locke, Hobbes and many others. It's great to hear someone so passionate about Jurisprudence
    Thank you very much, that genuinely looks fascinating!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.