Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Don't give a s**t. I'm not proud or disgraced by it. We have a very "human" way of thinking which makes us lean one way or the other but in the end, no matter what your opinion is, it's not right or wrong. Do you think other animals would ask themselves the same question provided the had the ability to do so? Maybe, we'll never know but that's what makes us human, we're different from other animals just like they're different from us.

If I wasn't proud to be a human and was some other animal I wished I was, I wouldn't be myself. I as in "uw0tm9" would cease to exist in which case I won't be able to compare if it's better it better to be a human or a said animal. Likewise if I was proud, I don't have anything to objectively compare it to so I can't rightly justify being proud either.

ReputationRep:
    no, we suck

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I admire has been a human, and I'm honoured to share a species with some of the great geniuses of human history (JS Bach to be more specific and less cryptic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Don't be speciesist.
    im not, species are real whether u like it or not :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    I am proud to be white
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Meh, not particularly.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chúpamela porfi)
    im not, species are real whether u like it or not :dunce:
    I think your "taking the piss" detector is broken. :fyi: Seriously, you didn't get it when I referred to my "half brother banana" or the fact I am a gasetarian and survive purely on oxygen?

Jeez. :facepalm:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not really.

ReputationRep:
    I think your "taking the piss" detector is broken. :fyi: Seriously, you didn't get it when I referred to my "half brother banana" or the fact I am a gasetarian and survive purely on oxygen?

Jeez. :facepalm:
    species are real whether you like it or not, jesus sodding christ :facepalm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    why would i take pride in waking up at 7am to go do stuff when i could be a squirrel and hibernate for half a year?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chúpamela porfi)
    species are real whether you like it or not, jesus sodding christ :facepalm:
    I don't think you have a say in this, murderer. Think of all those poor microbes you murder when you inhale. I don't know how you look yourself in the mirror. :no:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have a say in this, murderer. Think of all those poor microbes you murder when you inhale. I don't know how you look yourself in the mirror. :no:
    what are you talking about ? how does killing microbes have anything to do with species being real ? :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    Pride is a tricky word, but yes. We're the most intelligent species in the charted universe. To even be able to assess ourselves and recognise negative aspects about the abstract concept of our 'species' is more than every other known animal can achieve. To be able to whine about how "we're so mean" is a sign of our excellence, and the fact that we have such an influence over the world around us is testament to our dominion over our surroundings.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think we have a fair way to go before we can be proud of humanity fullstop - there are a lot of negative things we've done and continue to do, and we've had a huge impact on the planet, to put it mildly. But I am proud of some things we do, and of the positive things that we do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy I have two thumbs and a functional brain though . I don't have pride in being a human because I never seen just being a human an accomplishment lol. I'm a human and everyone is a human.

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty absurd question; we're just trying to eke out an existence on a rock floating in the abyss. This sort of question comes from that intense arrogance that religion has bestowed upon us, that we are somehow "special", that we are the children of God. Am I proud? It would be like asking my shed if it's proud to be blue.

ReputationRep:
    Could equally ask if we're proud to be able to feel proud about anything. Glad about it, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jjj90)
    It's a pretty absurd question; we're just trying to eke out an existence on a rock floating in the abyss. This sort of question comes from that intense arrogance that religion has bestowed upon us, that we are somehow "special", that we are the children of God. Am I proud? It would be like asking my shed if it's proud to be blue.
    well no it's more about looking at what humans have achieved (nuclear power, space travel) and saying whether you're proud of those things, and whether they outweigh the bad things that we do (war, factory farming etc)

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud for mankind.
    We're still divided and it'll take a lot of time until we all unite under a democratic secular scientific global government.
    But we have to remember that we achieved a lot already.
    We made it through the ice age !
    That means a lot to me.
    I think that although we frequently **** things up in the end when our very existence is threatened we survive and flourish.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    W.T.F?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.