The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, that's what I do... tell people stuff that embarrasses me :rolleyes:. Oh, and hi.
Reply 2
maattdi_2000
Hey guys (first post! :biggrin:)

I got a brace today and Im 18 .. how embarassing! I cant talk properly and Im dribbling, any advice?

Matt

Get one of those Stephen Hawking-dohickeys that talk for you.
maattdi_2000

I got a brace today and Im 18 .. how embarassing! I cant talk properly and Im dribbling, any advice?

Matt

Welcome to UKL. Don't trust any other members apart from 411 :wink:

Can you eat yet? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Zapsta
Yeah, that's what I do... tell people stuff that embarrasses me :rolleyes:. Oh, and hi.

lol - no need for the sarcasm! :wink:

Is anyone else going to Uni with a brace? Oh the shame! :redface:
Reply 5
Is it a fixed one, or a removable retainer + plate?

You'll learn to talk again, and to control your salivation! Eating will be an effort for a few days though, and have lots of ibuprofen on hand for when the pain kicks in.
Reply 6
is it a fixed brace or a take out one?the take out ones are the ones you will never be able to say your s's in. the fixed one will be alright in no time :smile:
Reply 7
Mr White
Get one of those Stephen Hawking-dohickeys that talk for you.

lol - but in an english accent!
Reply 8
maattdi_2000

Matt

Dont worry, you'll get used to that in a few days. Just practice talking outloud to yourself or something :tongue: And a year or two of having a brace is definately worth a fantastic smile for the rest of your life :smile:
Reply 9
VixenIW
Dont worry, you'll get used to that in a few days. Just practice talking outloud to yourself or something :tongue: And a year or two of having a brace is definately worth a fantastic smile for the rest of your life :smile:

very well said! :smile:
Reply 10
Guys its a plate retainer one ... ive already had train tracks but they didnt work :frown:

The pain hasnt come yet but I know it will. Oh God why does my teeth have to be abnormal?!? Im just hoping the dentist finishes it before I go to uni ... pleeease
Reply 11
VixenIW

lol ... people will think ive gone schizo!
Reply 12
neha p
very well said! :smile:

Hehe, arrrr....gee thanks :smile:
Reply 13
maattdi_2000
Guys its a plate retainer one ... ive already had train tracks but they didnt work :frown:

The pain hasnt come yet but I know it will. Oh God why does my teeth have to be abnormal?!? Im just hoping the dentist finishes it before I go to uni ... pleeease

ohh, one of them! i understand your pain! i think its just a case of getting used-to. you will be fine after a couple of weeks. when do you start uni? you might be an expert by then!
just think, you will have such a gorgeous smile after this. :smile:
Reply 14
maattdi_2000
lol ... people will think ive gone schizo!

lmao....yeh good point :biggrin: Just ask for a few volunteers to practice on :tongue:
Reply 15
neha p
ohh, one of them! i understand your pain! i think its just a case of getting used-to. you will be fine after a couple of weeks. when do you start uni? you might be an expert by then!
just think, you will have such a gorgeous smile after this. :smile:

i start uni on the 25th sept and my next appt. is 16th sept and i told him that i was going away to uni and he said that u could give me a sleeping retainer but i dont know if i can be arsed to take it lol
Reply 16
VixenIW
lmao....yeh good point :biggrin: Just ask for a few volunteers to practice on :tongue:

I just hope that my new uni friends wont look at my and go 'check out the dude with the braces' lol
Reply 17
maattdi_2000
i start uni on the 25th sept and my next appt. is 16th sept and i told him that i was going away to uni and he said that u could give me a sleeping retainer but i dont know if i can be arsed to take it lol

the sleeping one is better than the day one! its your choice. i would go for the sleeping one...although it may take longer for your teeth to perfect as the retainer is in for a shorter period of time
Reply 18
neha p
the sleeping one is better than the day one! its your choice. i would go for the sleeping one...although it may take longer for your teeth to perfect as the retainer is in for a shorter period of time

yeah hopefully it will sort itself out lol

thanx guys!
Reply 19
maattdi_2000
I just hope that my new uni friends wont look at my and go 'check out the dude with the braces' lol

Im sure they will be a bit more intelligent than that. Nobody really bats an eyelid at ppl with braces anymore. One of my friends mums had them when she was 40 or something crazy like that. Good teeth are worth it. Thats my favourite feature on the opposite sex - a good smile :biggrin: