Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uuuggh - got a brace :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Get one of those Stephen Hawking-dohickeys that talk for you.
    It also raps for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tho thorry but I don't have any advithe. I had to wear a fixed brace for a year and a half, a weird headgeary thing at night (think man in the iron mask done in modern lightweight plastic) and now I have to wear a clear plastic retainer at night.

All this after having 5 teeth out...!

But hey! Now my smile dazzles...kinda...

ReputationRep:
    i'm 18 and i've had a brace (train-tracks) for 3 years
    but i'm getting it taken off on friday!
    at least you can take a retainer out! don't worry, it'll b worth it!

ReputationRep:
    I had mine when I was 10/11 after I had some teeth removed. My dentist was married to my orthodontist, so maybe this hurried things up? I have had perfect teeth for 8 years now and I love them . Worth the pain and embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i'm 18 and i've had a brace (train-tracks) for 3 years
    but i'm getting it taken off on friday!
    at least you can take a retainer out! don't worry, it'll b worth it!
    You'll look a bit like this little dude I was so happy when i got mine taken off. I went shopping after with my mum and we went into a shoe shop and I was stood there smiling at myself in the mirror. I got a few pretty strange looks It feels amazing to feel real teeth in your mouth again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I had mine when I was 10/11 after I had some teeth removed. My dentist was married to my orthodontist, so maybe this hurried things up? I have had perfect teeth for 8 years now and I love them . Worth the pain and embarrassment.
    my teeth were straight but then after like a year theyve gone **** again. He said my jaw is 'genetically' sumthing or other and so they will always move and ive gotta wear a retainer a few nights a week FOREVER noooooo

ReputationRep:
    I hope you like porridge for when you have them tightened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    Lol yeh, or soup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
    I know lol all ive had today is weetabix .. but im kinda liking it - im sure ill hate it by the end though

ReputationRep:
    Im STAAAARRRVING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maattdi_2000)
    Im STAAAARRRVING
    eat chewing gum and drink plenty of fizzy drinks. it's good for your braces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking IV)
    eat chewing gum and drink plenty of fizzy drinks. it's good for your braces.
    kick me while im down why dont you!!

ReputationRep:
    Im STAAAARRRVING
    Jelly! Custard. Peas. Beans. All good brace food.

The worst experience for me was when the lady tightened the brace but didn't trim the exess wire off so I had wire lacerating the inside of my cheeks. I got it cut a few weeks later but they didn't believe me on the phone for ages .

ReputationRep:
    Guys its a plate retainer one ... ive already had train tracks but they didnt work

The pain hasnt come yet but I know it will. Oh God why does my teeth have to be abnormal?!? Im just hoping the dentist finishes it before I go to uni ... pleeease
    ive had both.

i used no drugs to control the pain; i just soldiered through. i believe it has made me a better person. with some nice teeth

ReputationRep:
    kick me while im down why dont you!!
    at least you got teeth. some people in the hood where i live ain't got no teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC Hawking IV)
    at least you got teeth. some people in the hood where i live ain't got no teeth.
    lol

doesnt help the fact that im DYING OF HUNGER here!!

ReputationRep:

The worst experience for me was when the lady tightened the brace but didn't trim the exess wire off so I had wire lacerating the inside of my cheeks. I got it cut a few weeks later but they didn't believe me on the phone for ages .
    i want jelly and custard but i int got anything in the house! and im home alone so cant moan at mum to make sumthing!

FEED MEEE im getting actual pains people!

ReputationRep:
    There was time in our school (3 year back) when something like 10 girls in my class had braces...It was thought as a fashion symbol :rolleyes: ...(sum ppl are really weird!!!....don't worry, I wasn't a part of that group!)

Its a great way to loose weight...
    Anywayz...good luck with them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VixenIW)
    Dont worry, you'll get used to that in a few days. Just practice talking outloud to yourself or something And a year or two of having a brace is definately worth a fantastic smile for the rest of your life
    Yes, definitely I had braces 4 years ago coz I really had horrible teeth structure, and now they tell me I've got good teeth... and a nice smile (coz I have dimples!)

But don't ever believe that retainers don't do anything. Coz if you don't wear 'em, your teeth's gonna go back the way it was before. Which means all the time, money, and pain your braces cost you will just go in a wooosh!

ReputationRep:

Been there too! I also had an experience wherein the adhesive on the farthermost brace got removed, so all month, it was just hanging there, slicing up the inside of my cheeks.

I learned how to eat any kind of food while having braces. But I hate eating after getting them adjusted. Just... torture!

i want jelly and custard but i int got anything in the house! and im home alone so cant moan at mum to make sumthing!

FEED MEEE im getting actual pains people!
    Try to get used to it, believe me. You have a loooong way to go.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.