Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Three weeks ago I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend but I never had any intentions of getting pregnant or even having sex at the time. I went to a sexual health clinic who gave me the mini pill and told me to come back a few weeks later so they can carry out a pregnancy test with me. I've been experiencing some pregnancy symptoms such as back pain, nausea, tiredness and needing to pee more frequently but only today I had just came on my period. I'm really confused because I thought the pill was supposed to stop my period so I don't know if I am pregnant or not now. If anyone could help I would be grateful.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Since you have started the mini pill, the bleeding could either be your period as you didn't start the pill on the first day of your period therefore its more likely your cycles will now be disrupted (although the mini pill can cause irregular bleeding whenever you take it) or it could be breakthrough bleeding from the pill. If the bleeding is heavy and bright red, then pregnancy is highly unlikely but now that its been three weeks since you had sex, you would get an accurate pregnancy test result and that should put your mind at rest

Are you on Cerazette? I've been on that mini pill for nearly five years and I still get a 'period' on it. Sometimes its monthly like a normal period, sometimes I don't bleed for a few months or nearly a year and some months I bleed nearly every day on it. The mini pill is famous for causing bleeding cycles like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.