Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, am I right in thinking that as I'm 25, and will be 26 when I start university, the only income I need to declare is my own? I am living with my dad but worried that if I had to put his income down it would dramatically decrease how much I get, and therefore wouldn't get enough to even remotely live on. I'm moving away from home for uni. I read on the govt website though that over 25's only need to declare their own and their partners income? I earn less than 25,000 so in theory would be entitled to the full amount if this is correct. Also, when do 2017 applications open?
    Many thanks for any help
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you're 25 or over then your father's income is irrelevant, so yes, you only declare your own. I believe applications for finance open in late February, but I'm not certain.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi MissDetermined

You will be an independent student as over 25 so only your income is taken into consideration, unless you live with a partner in which case we ask for theirs too. We don't need you to declare your income from employment so don't worry. Please see the list below of the only things you need to declare and whats not included.
    We don't have a confirmed date for the applications opening yet. It is expected to be Feb/March so keep checking back with us here/Facebook/Twitter

Income that will be taken into account
    • Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).
    Income that will NOT be taken into account
    • Any earnings from full or part-time work this can be vacation work or work during term time
    • Maintenance Loan or Grant payments
    • Child and Working Tax Credits
    • ISA’s, TESSA’s
    • Payments received from parents under covenant
    • Maintenance payments received for children. These maintenance payments should be included as part of the children’s income in section 8d
    • Teacher Training Bursaries
    • Care Leavers Bursary
    • Other Higher Education Bursaries (HEBSS/WBS)
    • Bounties paid by the armed services to reservists or disablement or invalidity pensions
    • Profit from selling property
    • Ebay

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the information, does clear things up a bit! There's a couple of other things I'm wondering though.
    When I did the SFE calculator there's a part with 'household income'. When I apply and this comes up, do I need to put my employment income in still, even though it's not regarded, or do I put '£0' ? I don't own anything or have any assets.

Also, what fee code do I enter (I think there's a drop down box with different fee codes) I don't want to get it wrong and not get it approved. I'll be doing a nursing course if that makes any difference?

ReputationRep:
    Hi again

If you are trying the Student Finance calculator: http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ
    try the following:

So you first enter your tuition fee amount, enter your living location, enter £0 for parents/partners income, if nothing applies on the next section click none, then click dental medical or healthcare, then none of these to doctor/medicine course section then it will give you an approximate loan amount.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it comes up with the maximum amount which is 8,450 but I didn't put my own income in, I just put zero in. It says 'parents/partners plus your own' but instead of putting mine (employment income) I put in 0. They really ought to clarify that as it can be quite misleading, income could mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! I'll be glad to get it sent off and I know for sure what I'm entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    Hi MissDetermined

I can appreciate that it may look confusion and have passed your feedback on. Best thing to do to get the exact amount is apply as soon as the applications are released and we will send you the award letter with the exact amounts of funding.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.