Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for 2017 entry and have received an offer but want to defer until 2018. What shall I do?! Will the university still accept me or will I need to reapply next year?

ReputationRep:
    See http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/deferring/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte5612)
    I have applied for 2017 entry and have received an offer but want to defer until 2018. What shall I do?! Will the university still accept me or will I need to reapply next year?
    This happened to me. I applied in 2015 for 2016 entry, but because of circumstances outside of my control, I had to either drop out entirely or defer entry.

I found the faculty (Law) to be incredibly understanding and helpful. I emailed them with an honest outline (not war and peace but still a decent explanation) about why I wanted to defer and how it would be beneficial to my studies, and they emailed back the same day to say it was fine.

Be aware though; sometimes it means UCAS will update and you may have to re-accept your offer. UCAS didn't bother contacting me to say anything had changed though so I very almost lost my place all together.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I also want to defer until 2018. I've emailed the admissions team on graduate school of education telling them I decided to defer and thankfully they responded right away. They told me that they've updated this on my application and I'll receive a new offer in October 2017.

ReputationRep:
    Don't email the relevant Faculty or Dept - they don't make these decisions.

You need to contact central admissions - Tel: 0117 394 1649, Email: [email protected]

Just explain that you want to defer your offer and can this be considered?

At this stage in the year its usually straightforward - but later, once numbers start to firm up, it can be more difficult and often just before Results Day it'll be a straight No. They don't want loads of people with definite places for next year because it reduces the offers they can make to applicants applying next year.

So, decide now. And remember once you've made this decision and they have changed it, they wont find it amusing that you want to reverse that decision so make sure you really do want to defer before you ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.