Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was just wondering if based on previous and current academic record it would be worth me applying to one out of Oxford or Cambridge to study law. I am currently studying History, English Literature and Maths. My grades at GCSE were decent, I achieved:
    History A*
    English literature A*
    English language A
    Maths A
    French A
    Chemistry A
    Biology A
    Physics A
    ICT A
    Art B
    Graphic design C
    I am currently doing an EPQ which is about the civil rights movement so I am looking at legislation as one of the major factors. Whilst this would not directly influence me even getting an interview I feel it would be a good thing to talk about on my personal statement. I am regularly getting A's in History, A's and B's in English but my Maths grades have been inconsistent with an A and C. Would it be worth me applying to one of these universities to study law and do I have a realistic chance?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely! You have good GCSE grades and you seem to be on the right track with your A levels. Plus it's (imo) always worth it to go for oxbridge, because regardless of the results, the chance to be interviewed by leading professionals is super appealing- and you never know what'd happen!

it's great to show interest through doing an EPQ as well, though bear in mind A levels should always prevail, so if at any point you feel like it's dragging down your other grades (EPQ is pretty time consuming after all), don't worry about dropping it. (I personally dropped it in Oct ish)

Not sure if this helps but a lot of my friends chose between Oxford and Cambridge because of LNAT- whereas Oxford uses LNAT, Cambridge uses their own law test (which differs between colleges).
    If you do decide to go for Cambridge, I got my offer for law at Downing College, 2017 entry, and am happy to help out or answer questions ^^

ReputationRep:
    I never know why it wouldn't be worth a shot. Would application numbers to Oxbridge be massively affected if UCAS were to offer 6 choices? Or only 4?

You'll get in somewhere even if it is permed from only "4 choices [+ Ancient]" rather than "fully 5", so why not?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.